Poll: how should devs prioritize hunting updates?

I hope I’ll have a way to put a shield on a wall like some sort of decoration. ^^

2 Likes

lala

2 Likes

I’ll be over to market soon to make sure you hear Bob.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong tho, I used to like hunting and yes that means something needs to be changed to it but a single mob is not gonna help with that. And for me personally, I dunno that even a few new ones might help, it really has to be a big change for me to actively want to hunt again.

Also the title of this thread talks about ‘prioritising hunting updateS’ ie. plural, as in: devs, drop everything else, only hunting updates

Which I don’t think is the right direction at this point. I do think tho that the Warp Wraith will come and seeing the shields teaser and the way the devs have been doing things and how they talk about other stuff (like wanting to make certain smaller changes to crafting but that they rather include that in a bigger update with all kinds of crafting things being changed/added for instance) I think they will release a hunting focused update this year.

In all honesty, what I would like most of all is a huge 2.0 update basically with sooooo many things changed and most of all added to the game that everyone is gonna be happy! But…

1 Like

I would love to see as many updates for hunting this year, as there was for builders in 2019.

1 Like

I think i fall in the same boat as a fair few here.

I used to enjoy hunting. But now it feels like a chore. Its just 1-2 hours of the same thing over and over and over. If it weren’t for the oort, i wouldn’t hunt anymore. But i’m essentially forced to hunt, or pay the increasing price for oort, to keep my business alive.

New mobs and new mechanics would refresh this for a while. But honestly, alternative ways of farming oort (that isn’t farming chickens) are needed.

Rare oort spawns on exo’s would be a fantastic start!

3 Likes

More difficult meteors. New mobs to enjoy and have to learn about. New weapons, armours and forge on abilities. Redo the type of potions designed for hunting. Remove everything except oort from the meteor drop table and increase the oort drop amount as well.

oort, oort, oort, lol …

Give us (common) mineable oort right now and my money is on hammers shooting up to 20k + again.

Forge ingredients are hunt loot too so the number of people who currently say they only hunt for oort was cut even further those ingredients are going to go up as well, as presumably some of them are selling their organs, eyes, and trophies as well.

Mad increase in mining for oort (hammer consumption) and mad decrease in ‘incidental’ hunting loot and we just might find people turning back to hunting who can’t afford hammers to mine for oort they aren’t selling.

An interesting balancing act, though.

IMO, and as someone who would typically rather mine than hunt, attracting hunters back might overall be better than making mineable oort common enough for people to try and run actual networks with it.

3 Likes

I think you have a very good point here. If there is alternative oort supply, we need more hunters anyway.

Introduce titans and make them function like raid bosses. That would be my dream! Solve the hunting and the oort problem in 1 hit!

1 Like

Both the choices don’t really work for me, I think hunting needs an update, however new mobs is not what I had in mind with such an update, there are bigger fundamental problems with it that need fixing.

I also think „there are other things they need to do first“, however, private worlds is not one of them, I personally think private worlds should be low priority.

2 Likes

Update 1:

• over 40 new slingbow augments!

Update 2:

• slingbow farming! create seeds from gems and elemental shards!

Update 3:

• defensive blocks you can hide behind while hunting!

Update 4:

• chisable defensive blocks and shields!

Update 5:

• 9 new fist types (gems and lucents) and the Warp Wraith!

etc.

:joy:

Thing is, there have been things added for builders every few updates that’s true, but some of those, new blocks, are probably the easier to implement new content ones. The window panes, new glass blocks, chisable glass and lattice chisel were nice as well but spread out over like 4 updates.

Not complaining tho, it’s all lovely, but you kinda make it seem like it was sooo much more than it was and if they would do the same with hunting updates it’s all small changes like I jokingly mentioned. If they do a hunting update don’t you rather have one HUGE update that changes and adds a lot to it???

1 Like

Never said to rush and update out. I’d be fine with several updates towards fighting and hunting mechanics in a row :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy::kissing_heart:

1 Like

For the love of everything NO MORE SEEDS!

1 Like

My opinion for what should be first priority: anything to improve community interactions, particularly the chat system. Reason being, the game is already a GREAT sandbox - sure, can make it even better with things like new mobs and new blocks and all. But interactions with other players is where I really see impressing/hooking newcomers - focus on that part. Also the NPE, streamlining things, tutorials and all. That has to be a high priority IMO, as that is where we seem to lose a lot of people.

4 Likes

I’m torn on this one. It’s hard to say what they should prioritise. From my own perspective as a player, I’m personally always looking for new blocks to use, and functional and/or kinetic blocks, such as conveyors, jump pads, ladders and such are highest on my own personal list of priorities.

That said, I do know a bunch of players are waiting for more fleshed out combat mechanics - new mobs, new weapons, more skills and Titans - so I wouldn’t grumble if the combat update was next in the pipeline.

3 Likes

Want to know the reason why I have chosen for rental worlds?

The reason that they are still in the pipeline at all is the reason I am still playing…

Back in March last year at my previous settlement there have been several instances that eventually lead to me throwing in the towel when yet another nasty thing happened. Not one person or one group of people were the cause for me to do that but the last one, the slightly more public one, was just the last straw and it just meant I didn’t enjoy playing anymore…

So I asked James if rental/private planets was still in the works and if so, I wanted to know if I could afford one. Since the answer was somewhat positive (prices are still an unknown but they were aiming for affordable price ranges back then, no idea what the situation is now) I kept playing and moved to Trung with the idea to move my workshop eventually to my rental planet.

Currently I want to make some big changes to workshop and farm but I want to wait with it until I can build it on my own planet instead. If that is going to take too long still (almost a year since I asked!) there will at least be one person less who needs oort…

If hunters aren’t hunting as much & it’s starting to effect crafters, forgers, portal keepers, etc…it might be helpful to find out why (I think someone else made a forum post about other hunt drops being hard to find lately, not just oort):

It’s time to add more weapons. How about a gem fist? How about a melee weapon to go with the shields? More mobs. More drops. Some dungeons or temples with rare prizes or resources like oort/lucents/gear would be awesome.

I’m not a builder nor really a crafter, but I love to explore & hunt. I was hunting almost everyday that I could - sometimes more than once a day. Besides irl stuff, I haven’t been hunting in awhile because:

It got to the point where I had to go hunting, only to get oort to fuel portals and to help friends fuel portals, etc. It was no longer fun, it was something I had to do. You could say that’s my fault for having portals & that I should just close them. Sure, but that wouldn’t be fun either. We don’t have any form of flying or transportation, so we use portals.

I agree with @bucfanpaka on the communication issues. Chat (& character customization) are considered by most - very important fundamental parts of an MMO.

5 Likes

@BabyCookie u just hopping for a cookie shield

3 Likes

I would love to get excited about hunting again, but how exactly that is to be achieved is anyone’s guess, even a massive overhaul to the system or loads of new features added might not interest me longer than a few days or a week.

What I can say for sure are the reasons it bores me now, and also the reasons why I still have an enjoyable hunt every now and then.

There is no challenge, whatsoever. Sure I can still get killed by a freak high speed wildstock headbutt into a block that I didn’t know I was standing next to even on a T3 or T4 planet. I can fall into a hole 3 blocks deep and take 35,000 points of damage and die. I can grapple myself at high speed into a wall, etc. What I mean is, the strategy doesn’t change, ever, no thinking required, death has no consequence, charge in, kill everything, loot everything, go to next meteor.

I also notice that the majority of hunts these days are held on T4 planets from platforms. The platforms were an ingenious idea, but they bore the living **** out of ME (just me) personally, and T4 hunting also is just another form of harvesting a farm for oort. I want the increased drops from mobs, I want to feel like bringing all the food, brews and forged slingbows/bombs isn’t just a complete waste of time. I want to feel like my presence is actually a help rather than feel like I would be just as useful standing AFK.

I don’t care if hunting by foot is less economical, I don’t care if I chew up valuable bows, potions, bombs and food hunting and dying on a higher level planet, I don’t care if the oortstone return is higher on a T3/T4. If I get 20% less oort on a T6 hunt that’s still better than getting no Oort because I can’t be bothered, that’s still better than getting 30 oort because I warped home after getting bored to death by the second platform.

Public hunts again, there is no community feeling, hopping from platform to platform, 90% of us saying nothing at all while a few people who are friends with one another emote back and forth. I miss the voice chats, jumping on to a new discord and making new friends, bantering with old ones.

When I do have a great time still, is hunting with friends on a voice chat, talking rubbish to one another. Or even with a new group, strangers, a guild I have never met and there is more discussion than just “east, west, INC, I got 12 Oort from that meteor”. I had a great hunt with just a friend the other day, wandering around Alnitans completely aimlessly, on my miner equipped with an AOE hammer, talking garbage and killing whatever we bothered to notice. 4 hours of hunting and I came home with 1 hopper core, 2 RR feathers, 5 oortstone!!! My most productive hunt in weeks, genuinely!

Other times I’ve enjoyed is with 5 or 6 people who are actually paying attention, come along with the right equipment for the situation and communicate with one another tearing up a T6/T7 planet. Those hunts feel rewarding not only for the loot but also for the sense of accomplishment at working cohesively together and achieving what 40 people do in a complete an utter chaotic mess.

Now most of these reasons are beyond a patch to fix, alot are my own fault for being a little anti social and are due to old friends having left game or in the same situation and can’t be bothered with the hunts. I don’t blame groups for hunting the way they do, Oort is priority to them. PersonallyI don’t care if the population runs out of Oort eventually, I know I can maintain a 1x2 portal to my local portal seekers indefinitely with a few solo meteors a month and I know those guys aren’t running out of Oort, they planned and prepared well for the Apocalypse and allow me to get to any planet I want.

So good luck, I’m not voting in this poll and I also have no problem with people voting whichever way they do as they all have their reasons which are equally valid. At the end of the day I don’t mind, hunting is such a small part of this game and I have 999 other ways to keep myself entertained in game and I know that changes will come in time, I have patience.

7 Likes

@pajew yesh that be the best thing ever Mmmmmm