Poll: how should devs prioritize hunting updates?

I mass crafted seeds with 34 diamonds, 11 rubies, 20 sapphires and 7 topaz using toxin shards and I got all topaz seeds DEVS PLS HALP!!!

Also 120% crop yields and random mutation on harvest!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Iā€™m in the middle. I think a sweep over combat adjustments (weapons and damage outputs), new mobs, titan events, and the like should be on the ā€œlets get this done 6monthsā€ time line. I do think there are other QoL things that should happen first (i.e. the ability to collapse a beacon into storage, or be able to cut and paste things you have built from planet to planet).

Iā€™d like to see boss monsters long term with unique mechanics. Maybe a boss who has a shield powered by officers you have to kill first. Or a boss who can only be damaged by shots reflected back with a shield or a lance swipe. Or a boss who only takes damage in the eyes etc. Or a boss who digs giant 30 block holes when he jumps. Maybe a boss that can only be killed by drowning, so you have to build around it and drop water. Or a boss only damaged by lava. Or a worm boss that burrows and jumps out of the ground.

Steal ideas from destiny, division, monster hunter/dauntless and Zelda :blush:

2 Likes

Not trying to go off topicā€¦ but THIS MUST be addressed. The chat system is ridiculous and in efficient. So many missed messagesā€¦

4 Likes

These sort of mechanics would indeed interest me, they would offer some variety, howeve,r only for a whileā€¦ based on prior MMO experience, monster behaviour/mechanics are generally very basic and can only be as creative as a little bit of scripting can make them. They wouldnā€™t be able to make them so difficult that people actually had to do any more than learn a few basic mechanics in order to defeat them and have them on farm status.

Unless they employ a whole new ā€œboss encounters scripting teamā€ to keep pumping out new and exciting monster fights every week I fear most people would be bored of this in short time and we would be back exactly where we are now. This game isnā€™t dark souls, combat is never going to be that exciting or challenging unfortunately, combat is always going to be fairly simplistic, eventually it will always feel like a grind as does any task at all that you keep repeating day in and day out.

What will keep people hunting is rewards, the thrill of finally getting that piece of loot they were after. Thatā€™s basically the only thing that keeps people farming bosses in a game like WoW or anything else similar (hardly played it so Iā€™m assuming a lot). This is a game that is designed around persistently gathering and collecting consumable materials, either for yourself or for trade, that is simply the nature of it, I donā€™t expect any sort of unique rewards from anything.

Again these are just my thoughts, but I try to keep my expectations realistic and hence I am never upset when a patch comes out, in fact I have absolutely loved every single new addition to this game. Itā€™s great to dream of what could or might be, but I donā€™t think anyone can demand anything of the devs, they have a game plan and itā€™s worked amazingly well so far and Iā€™m confident it will carry on to do so. In the meantime Iā€™ll keep myself well and truly entertained.

3 Likes

Tracking numbers of each mob killed at each level might entice people to chase stats hunting

2 Likes

I voted it needs to be a priority, many items in game need mob parts to craft, and then of course thereā€™s oort. But hunts are monotonous and boring, not enough variety or challenge. As suggested, I feel dungeons would be a great addition and more mobs, every planet has same mobs, which again makes hunting boring. Also melee weapons would be a great addition (hopefully coming with shields) let you get up close and personal. And altho not directly linked to hunting, I feel if the chat was overhauled this would make hunts more enjoyable as communication would be better, and therefore hunts could be better organised, but instead we just jump around to greet one another or do a quick emote cos the chat system is pants! And one other suggestion would be change up the rewards for hunting, make it something people do because of the anticipation of what special item they may get, like maybe a cosmetic item or pet for your home.

Iā€™ve mentioned before that oort should be more accessible and be replaced with something else for hunters to hunt for. Rare cosmetics/pets that hunters could sell would be better than basically forcing people to hunt for oort/spend huge amounts of coin for. Imagine a pool of pets/cosmetics ranging from common to super rare with a drop rate of like .0001%. Any normal person could go on a hunt or two and get a super rare pet worth millions

2 Likes

Hunting is PvE content and needs constant updates which they will never be able to produce at the required speed. You can only kill the exact same mob so many times until it gets boring. Even Blizzard fails in that part and they drown in money. Building, on the other side, is sandbox content which can run on itā€™s own forever.

I like the mobs in the game and the threat they cause. I think meteorites are amazingly presented and produce an extra threat while building.

But they should accept that their game will never be a combat game. That would require to fully focus on that part.

They should just remove the need to constantly hunt. People hunt because they need Oort, or animal parts, or want coins. Doing a hunt once in a while might be fun. But having hunting as that core cog wheel of the economy and force people to constantly hunt to play what they enjoy is bad design and I wouldnā€™t be surprised if itā€™s the number one reason why people leave.

Here is what I would like to get.

• Make Oort mineable, easy mineable. Or add it to the farm. And not with 90% seed rate and only from exo or something dumb as that.
  • Add alternatives to all animal parts to the farm. Like plants for glands and feathers and stuff. People would hate forging much less if the feathers wouldnā€™t be so scarce. Decon-forging is soul draining.
  • Stop wasting time on hunting updates, Boundless never going to be the next Warfame. Just accept that. Hunting is pet battles, not the main game.
  • Implement the real important things (like a light source that can light a room higher then 6 blocks)
  • And there are people who really hate the idea of a creature that hunts you till youā€™re dead (like the hunter). I donā€™t want anything like that. XP cakes are expansive enoughā€¦
1 Like

Thatā€™s fun likeā€¦ the first 3 times, until youā€™ve figured it out. Then weā€™re back here asking for new bosses with new mechanics, for a new raid tier, with better loot, and so on.

All we have is 4 mobs, after years. Itā€™s silly to assume they will be able to produce these bosses fast enough. And thatā€™s ok, because these other games you mentioned focus on the combat and have no meaningful building or farming.

They should focus on their strength. And make the strength stronger, not hold the game back by the band aid that is ā€œthe economyā€ based on ā€œhuntingā€.

3 Likes

That doesnā€™t solve anything you just make people switch their whining to ā€œgive us mineable cosmetics, itā€™s not fair to hunt for those, make them available for everyoneā€

I think portals hold more value than cosmetics. Portals help traffic to your build and adds convenience to get where you need to go. As long as pets are purely cosmetic they wonā€™t hold the same value as oort but will still be desirable for the hardcore players who hold majority of the coin.

1 Like

Everyone is mentioning hunters. Which i donā€™t think will be in meteors. I thought they were supposed to warp in while you were mining.

Letā€™s not forget about the ground bashers and rock throwers.
I know not much has been mentioned about them. But they were in the super old video. So they have the model and animation. Having a rock thrown at you would be a good reason for a shield. And they could make for a good mini boss.

2 Likes

How about all 3 at the same time and a little added jazz to combat. Like basic melee combos. Maybe even a super attack on a cooldown lol. I donā€™t expect either but that would definitely interest me enough to hunt more

3 Likes

Add mine-able oort stone and all of updates i want for hunting at this time will be complete.

3 Likes

This, and you nearly kill hunting.

I like the ā€œideaā€ of hunting as a mechanic. And I absolutely agree they need to elaborate on it. More mobs, Mobs for specific biomes, friendly, and aggressive, exploration would be much more interesting.

However I voted for other updates over hunting because I also believe this is not a ā€œCoreā€ purpose for a sandbox game. Building, and QOL things should probably take priority

To contradict myselfā€¦ I also think if the devā€™s decided to focus on hunting and mobs the game would still be much better off. Oort and the NEED to gather Oort is an affect everybody feels. More mobs dropping Oort outside meteors would provide more opportunities than having to chase regions and battle 4 spawn clouds of mobs repetitively and monotonously. Road runners dropping Oort was a great idea not implemented well enough. They drop so little, so rarely, nobody really uses that as a means to gather oort.

1 Like

I am not sure why mining Oort would ā€œkill huntingā€ anymore than farming killed gathering. There are still items needed from mobs like bone, blood, and trophies that are part of core essential recipes like glue. So even if there was a second source for Oort, players still have to go after the mobs in order to collect the other items needed. Since meteor hunts provide the highest concentration of mobs they will always be the best source for a lot of mob specific items.

5 Likes

Probably not, I expect mining just get more dangerous when oort mining and wrath are in game.

2 Likes

If people only hunt because of the loot itā€™s a boring activity anyway.

Maybe, just maybe, if they remove the shiny reward, people will no longer be forced to run it daily but only hunt when they enjoy it. Which could have the opposite effect. Maybe less hunts, but hunts people enjoy and participate in for the fun, instead of getting paid to do it.

2 Likes

OMG, chickens that lay oort-eggs!?!?!?! #Brilliant!

1 Like