Portal Bug?

This has happened before and been fixed but I made a portal from one side of my massive storage room to the other, and this side has the portal sideways for some reason? I even tried making sure I was placing the blocks on the ground instead of against the wall. Alternatively, I tried placing the blocks against the wall too, but to no avail. Help?

Opened sideways, The token side only Opens North/South.

2 Likes

Yup. The portal you create the token with has to be facing N/S. The receiving portal can face any direction. This applies to 1x2 and 1x3 portals.

1 Like

1x*

10 characters

1 Like

Ran into this for the first time. Do 1x portals still only open north/south? Is there any way to fix it?

The exit has to be facing n/s but the opening side can be any.

Thank you! Wasnā€™t sure if I missed a workaround somewhere. Anyone know why this is the case? Seems a bit restrictive since all other sizes work.

Probably do to with no real way to tell what way the portal block is facing without you being at it. All the sides are the same. Thereā€™s no way to look at it and tell itā€™s orientation

Only the single wide stacks need to determine a direction. Other sizes naturally have a ā€˜faceā€™ so itā€™s no problem for them to match.

I was hopeful that stretchiousā€™ tip would work but alas, no.

Canā€™t you just make it count the side the blocks were broken from as the front face?

But if you put the two on the right when you were facing west and the two next down when you were facing north their orientation would not be the same. As would apply with any other block in the game.

Maybe if they could change the visual design of the blocks to show what way itā€™s actually facing and add something into the code of how they work. But I have no idea how the coding works on the portals. Maybe a lil more insight on that from @lucadeltodecso

Thatā€™s exactly what happens at the originating end.

I only made one attempt to open from the destination end but even though I was lined up to face due east, the portal still opened facing n/s.

I have had a couple of portals that I fueled from the ā€œwrongā€ end to get around this. If the other side isnā€™t someplace that you have permissions, though, this is not an option.

I also have no idea of the overhead, but this would be great. All portals do have to have a ā€˜faceā€™ so it shouldnā€™t be something that would interfere with building larger ones either.

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s some coding reason that I donā€™t understand. But In the meantime what if they allowed at least up to a 2x2 portal on the same world to cost the same as a 1x2. So I donā€™t have to double my shard cost just for orientation reasons.

we try a couple off times to beg for a fix
but i think it be there forever and it is eating lost shards daily is one off the things i hate the most in boundless
i deal with these daily and it never gets in my head how they work :dizzy_face:

EDIT yep
if they push this weird portal stuff to be there forever just make one shard two wide portals
as compromise said same thing couple off times

I actually think any portal size going to the same planet should cost the same as 1x2 but Iā€™m sure they donā€™t want to do that because of the server aspect of it. Thereā€™s bound to be people using max size portals for same planet if they cost the same as the smallest one.

1 Like

I understand not being able to make them any size but at least 2x2 so we can work around their obviously unintentional behavior.

I wish I had a pic of this open. You can see the 2x6 portal blue there at the side of the building.

I have a friend that likes them tall but I would make wide portals all over i love them and itā€™s definitely the oort cost that stops me. It doesnā€™t (shouldnā€™t?) cause any additional overhead youā€™re not loading any more than a regular 1x2.

Thereā€™s no way I can toss a smart stack of shards every 7 - 10 days at a portal that goes <150m though.

I have a thing most of the time where I need my stuff symmetrical so Iā€™d have to use 2,4,6 etc wide :sweat_smile: I absolutely hate 1 wide portals. But for efficiency they need to be used. Which leaves me with placing more portals blocks in the building even if Iā€™m not going to open them :joy:

1 Like