Portal Knights (And a discussion of Skill)

So a new zelda combat style voxel game called “Portal Knights” just came out on steam early access. and i simply had to get it, it looks so neat. i will report my findings and see if there are anything brilliant to suggest to the forums.

5 Likes

First I thought it was a Screenshot and was confused why you had the price in CHF xD

I saw Portal Knights and instantly thought about how similar it seemed to Boundless just from the trailer, I’ll play it a bit and define the differences. Aside from artstyle.

artstyle, gameplay, combat, etc. its the same as calling boundless minecraft. The impression i got is that it is what SkySaga SHOULD have been. small islands of something like 20 x 20 blocks where you teleport between small islands and kill enemies, upgrade gear etc etc. Its very focused on the RPG rather than the building with multiple weapons and armor sets, and bosses. i am quite enjoying myself.

also the biggest difference is that it is made a 1-4 player coop game, which is why i say its what skysaga should have been, they admitted that they wouldnt fit a thousand players so they went with what was logical.

2 Likes

Ya after playing it it’s nothing like Boundless.

2 Likes

Been watching this one for a little while. Definitely like to know your thoughts on it.

1 Like

It’s not too bad once you get used to the odd controls and targeting. Worlds seem fairly ‘samey’ though imo. I’ve not found a way to go back to previous islands if that’s even possible!

For me there doesn’t seem to be much purpose there at the moment other than “get to the next island”, which I managed to get to level 4 in fairly rapid time.

There’s not as much emphasis on the need to build anything other than a crafting bench which is why I got a little bored of it after about an hour. I’ll be playing it for another few hours, so I can explore more, before I give up on it for the time being.

1 Like

Dude. the point is that you jump between islands. press M to bring up a map and you can visit any island you have unlocked.

AM I THE ONLY ONE LIKING THE COMBAT?!! the game makes it so you cant just spam attacks but have to wait for an enemy to attack and then attack it after.

But you are quite right, the thing i enjoy and you seem to dislike is that right now the game is pretty focused on a core RPG loop.

More than unlocking worlds what i have found to be the main purpose right now is to get gear, figure out what mats you need for next tier gear, go through worlds until you find it. make gear, look for new weird mats you need. etc etc.

Its not very focused on building. It’s in the game but its not a core element, the core element is a voxel based RPG.

1 Like

combat is too “stuck-ish” and the whole game is too one-lined for me. the graphics are good and so is the art, comparing to what Boundless is and will be, that game sucks. but its an ok game overall, i just personally dont like it

3 Likes

Thanks for the insight guys. This seams to be the general consensus I’m hearing about it.

Yea I hope the combat in Boundless will be much better, especially the melee combat.

I dont think auto lock would work well with boundless first person style. On the other hand i think it is a good pick for portal knights since the point is childhood nostalgia. also if you think about it if it was target it would literally just be minecraft spam combat, that is what happens in almost every single game where you dont allow the use of hotbar skills. it turns into a sort of “spam one attack to win” (which i hope wont happen to boundless. Though i somewhat fear it.)

1 Like

Yea I hope we get some kind of limitation like a stamina bar for attacks and dodging so we have to manage that and can’t spam whatever is effective infinitely.

1 Like

Systems mainly done in third person games. To be honest i have seen very few welldone first person combat games, which is why i am a bit worried. not to say there aren’t any. but its rare.

They said they wanted “borderlands-ish” combat which is quite fun, but it relies on the excessive amount of different types of guns. Seems to be what they are going for in weapons.

Yea but it doesn’t really require skill so that’s the bad part about it.

I haven’t seen a first person game thus far that requires “skill” because it isnt just one thing

is dodging constantly skill? is aiming a skill? is planning a skill? is bringing the right toolkit skill?

There are soo many types of skill. Borderlands was kinda skillbased due to having to aim (unless you played krieg, but he was awesome) so its a bit.

Ok I mean it’s not really skill based except for the aiming which was really basic compared to many shooter (COD not counted)

Mechanical skill, one of the most used levels of defining skill.

But there is also strategic skill and adaptive skill. many types of skill. Is Darksouls a skillbased game? i would say no. its definitely punishing. but its not really “skill” based other than mastering to spam dodge.

Well I don’t know Darksouls enough but I’d say it looks like it needs planning skill and you need to know when to dodge and when to attack to kill enemys that are much more powerful than you.

What I see as a very skill based game are things like Monster Hunter, Mirrors Edge kinda, things where you have a huge freedom of what you can do (not necessarily because of many skills or moves) and where you have to decide what you want to do with experience and do what you decided with (mostly mechanical) skill to get the best result.

1 Like

A third person combo game and a parkour game without combat slow clap

That is my problem, i love games where you have ATLEAST some sort of combo where you have to decide what to do, but i just haven’t found any first person game that had “skill based” combat. I guess its a bias. For me logic is skill. planning is skill. making a build is a skill. Titan souls which is based around boss battles, are based on logical skill. having to figure out how to deal with each individual. TSW where you have to make an effective build and constantly be on your toes to dogde skill markers. Wildstar again with builds where you have to dodge enemy attacks. For me that is skill. playing a game like Darksouls where you have pretty much one or two attacks you use is not really skillbased for me, It is certainly freaking hard. i will not deny that. but i dont think it is “skill based”