Power coils bonus effect in tooltip

Recently, I’ve plugged-in advanced power-coils in my Centraforge, and I legit had no idea what that did besides giving power.

I’ve been told that the bonus effect of Power was that it reduces the crafting time of machines, in general.
I’m sure someone who knows will come and explain it to me, but the point of this suggestion here is the following:

Simply adding the bonus effect of plugging a power coil to a machine in the tooltip of said power coil.

Centraforge coils increase the effectiveness of it, the boon point modifier. It doesn’t make the forge faster and discount in spark like on other machines, as far as I’ve observed.

I’ll leave a link to a couple of posts where I explained this in detail:

It’s not a fixed effect, since it follows a curve (diminishing returns) and depends on the power requirement of the item you’re crafting, so it’s really not easy (or possible, really) to make it fit in a tooltip.

The coil would have to predict not only how many other coils are in the machine you’re gonna install it, but also the power cost of the item you’re wanting to craft, before it being installed. :stuck_out_tongue:

The percentages in the tables I linked work for 0 power cost crafting.
For things that require power, consider the first column to mean “number of coils over the requirement” instead.

But that’s for normal machines, doesn’t apply for the forge, right?

Yep, that’s just for crafting. For forging it basically adds effectiveness up to 200%.

So in that case how many coils are ‘useful’ depends on the material of the thing you’re forging. But with 24 coils every material gets 200% boon points. (double)

Sure, but they could add a line to the tooltip that just says in broad terms what the power coil does as a bonus to the machine, without falling into the number, just like how food doesn’t tell you any numbers either.

I still think it’s already a lot of text for the tooltip as it is, but sure, I suppose a line like “Adding Power to a machine over the required cost for crafting will reduce the crafting time and spark cost” could be added somewhere.

At least to the knowledge base I suppose. Other than by observation and experimentation, I don’t think even that is shown anywhere. Most people only find out about this in the forums.

I just did a quick skim and it’s not even described under the Power Coil tips. At least its not in my Knowledge Base, but I disabled tips a long time ago so I’m not sure if there’s one talking about this.

If anything, I think the line that should go away is “Place with an air gap of around 1m between the Coil and Plumbus. When correctly placed a Power Beam will connect the two”.
That could be written in a “hint box” (you know, the ones you have to close manually by maintaining “E”).
It’s the same thing for ALL power coils, so once you’ve placed one, you know how to place them all.

Will try and get something at least into Power Coil description (apart from Helix Coils, they are a special case).

2 Likes