Prefab Gallery

Yeah, Minecraft influence for me; hard mindset to escape :frowning:

I believe, currently, you will need to ensure that the terrain you place the oasis on has water before the prefab is placed. Then, just make sure the prefab is placed in that divot, and water will flow around (and inside) the prefab.

But at that point, youā€™re probably better off procedurally generating the oasis via regular terrain generation

1 Like

In continuation of my last post, I made a couple of ruined versions of the first monument ā€¦

Iā€™ll make a couple of ruins of the other 2 at some point as well :slight_smile:

Started on some basic structures as well (ruined versions to come later!)

@Tobelawe Iā€™ve emailed you the full set that I have done so farā€¦

17 Likes

I didnā€™t know that o-o. Canā€™t wait to try it now :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve emailed my stuff over to you guys

Tried chiseling mostly the wood in the first one and most of the leaves in the second. Chiseling the leaves does make it look more appealing ^^.

13 Likes

Have you ever tried putting a light source (gleam or lamp) in between the leaves? You could cover it up a little, so light shimmers through. Would be interesting to work out. Could have the appeal of a mytholigical tree that glows.

I wanted to, but I wanted to work on making better looking trees first.

1 Like

Itā€™d be a good idea to add something ā€˜beneathā€™ the tree too, like just a little bit of grass, or dirt, or tree 'rootā€™s, sonething so that it doesnā€™t look silly if generated on a slope rather than flat ground, that goes for everything! Not just trees

Donā€™t use any slopes under the prefab though, or youā€™ll get weird underground air pockets where the slopes are

4 Likes

Iā€™ll have to make sure I start adding a ā€œbaseā€ to each of mine then! I didnā€™t add them previously as I figured it would make it easier to spawn on multiple terrain types

1 Like

that or I thought it would spawn with blocks underneath no matter what terrain itā€™s on :x

Thanks for all the prefabs guys! Iā€™ll take a look over them and see if we can squeeze them into some biomes.

Hmm a copy block underneath block maybe? That would be neat. so if it spawns on a dirt_with_grass block its base is dirt with grass and if it spawns on rock the base is rock.

1 Like

I think the primary issue is, is if it spawns part on air. Not sure a copy block would resolve that :frowning:

true, so a block that if spawned on another block will copy it but if spawned in air will copy the block directly beneath it and as a last resort will copy other blocks of the same type that they are placed against.

This is what Iā€™m talking about:

Got a nice terrain (black) and the prefab (the red pyramid), but if the prefab just has a flat base at the central location, then whenever the prefab is spawned on anything other than flat ground it will stick into/outof the terrain, so Iā€™m suggesting that the prefab should have the green area added to it (with no sloped blocks) to help in these cases

5 Likes

Just a helpful tip for you guys: the gleam starting block will be flat with the ground when the prefab is loaded into the world. If you build on this level, those block will be in the ground.

Sorry for the example Stretchious:

I assume that this prefab has been spawned too low in the world? If so this is due to the problem I state above.

Side note: I have added the prefabs that have been sent to me to my personal prefab library. They are looking really good, bringing lots of variation and interest to our biomes. Hopefully you will see some of these in our upcoming worlds!

7 Likes

Yeah I get the idea, the point of having a block that copies surrounding material would avoid having grass in an ash biome and so on. allowing using instances over a wider area of biomes without needing to replicate them as a new version.

which as someone already said, wouldnā€™t help when the existing block is ā€˜airā€™ :slight_smile:

Which is why I added the idea to copy from existing blocks that does the same.

As an example: (amazing art incoming)

Here we have a house with a base of blocks that copy the block directly below the or the block they are put in place of.

The brown area is not affect of this the only reference they have is air, so instead of turning into air it searches for other blocks with the same function as them in the structure. It finds the white blocks and take form after them instead.

This way instead of have dirt in an ash biome you get ash in an ash biome.

I of course have no idea how possible it would be to make an utility block like that.

4 Likes

No worries about the example! Good to know for future (and I guess I have a bit of block shifting to do now!)

For the issue of ground underneath a prefab, would it be better if we created an ā€˜ice cream coneā€™ shape underneath them, so that they can be better placed into the world, without looking too weird?

Edit: additionally, I guess we can just create copies of our prefabs but with different ā€œbasesā€ so they can be assigned to specific biome types.

1 Like

I donā€™t think it has to be an ice cream cone. I would just experiment and see how it looks in a biome or world. Obviously the bigger the footprint of your prefab the more prone it will be to this problem so take that into consideration.

Ice cream cones will work in pretty much every scenario but may nor look most natural depending on what you want to achieve. In the world builder you can set the maximum gradient a decoration/prefab can spawn on so its very possible to limit the extreme cases in which a prefab is spawned on the side of a cliff.

If you are making a tree, it might be nice to make the roots as well. This would solve the issue in most cases in a very natural way.

4 Likes

So just continuing to throw out ideas without knowing how possible they are: Something you can right click a block with so when it spawns with the prefab it will be destroyed if it spawns in place of an already existing block. This would make the base of the prefab much less obtrusive I think, as it would stop as soon as it hit the ground