Prestige Balance in Testing 218

I hope they’ve all been sterilised :mask:

1 Like

everything sounds good, but 2 questions.

1. isnt this system ALREADY the way we count prestige? i know we get a base prestige value, then we add on bonus prestige for the amount of “air” and “chisel work” and “alien blocks”

and 2. will a block at least always give 1 prestige? or something? curious if its possible for blocks to give 0 again with this new prestige system?

That’s a lot of binkies…

1 Like

The ‘bonus percentage’ is the problem with the current system, because if you add a block or do something so that the bonus percentage decreases the prestige ends up going ‘down’ and is what most people struggled with (posts about why blocks were giving negative prestige often etc), and is not a solvable problem when defined with a bonus percentage.

The new system works differently so that prestige will never decrease when adding blocks etc, but is still able to reward extra prestige when variation/color etc is varied so you never feel penalized

2 Likes

i guess i get that, but i also would like to know that each block at least gives SOME prestige, even if its like .5 or .2 prestige.

while they wont neccessarily decrease the prestige, if i end up placing thousands of blocks and end up getting 0 prestige, thats pretty bad too. although i dont care too much about prestige, just was wondering :slight_smile:

basically 0 isnt negative nor is it positive prestige. so i was wondering if this could happen. but overall its probably a better system :slight_smile:

No block has 0 prestige with changes.

If you spam the same block 1,000,000 times it will be giving you less and less prestige each time, but never get to 0 (may get so low that you have to add the block 100 times to get an extra 1 prestige since each one is now only giving you 0.01 prestige or something, but never 0). And of course, if you then worked to balance the block variation the prestige would start increasing faster again as all those blocks that previously gave less prestige due to the spam-parade start giving out more again.

4 Likes

thank you! :slight_smile: good to know :slight_smile:

Well said. I myself am unsure how I would respond to no prestige. Given all I worked for to accomplish this. Human nature in a lot of us is the desire to compete, not only with others but ourselves. For me it was more of a self goal. I break it and I set the bar higher. I use this game as a rush. I love to build, hunt, be repetitive, and so on…

Then you’ll have no problems.

There are basically 2 changes here:

1. Corrections for blocks where the prestige was imbalanced, for example - refined gleam.

2. Improvements to the systems that already exists, prestige for: chiselling, block variation, and using colours from other worlds.

(As I see @lucadeltodecso has also said.)

For me - the purpose of Prestige is to act as XP for your build. Different players are driven by different goals and aspirations. Some players come to a sandbox game and think “why would I build something beyond a mud hut? what is the purpose here?” I think Prestige can give these players a goal to work towards, a benchmark to compare themselves against. In the same way players enjoy gaining XP for their characters, Prestige acts as XP for your builds.

16 Likes

As a good friend of mine put it, its an ego tickling contest, and i like getting tickled :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Prestige in that context makes perfect sense James. The issue isn’t prestige, it is that it is linked to other core game mechanics and that cause certain situations to happen. We need a system that supports prestige or this ranking and benefits but also is not hurting other people or causing problems.

Separate the Mayor/Viceroy and footfall bonuses from Prestige and part of the problem then goes away and prestige can still stay.

1 Like

Waiting for a skill tree for builds. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What do you think would be in it??

(Joking aside we have discussed this possibility between the designers.)

2 Likes

@james I would move some of the items currently in the skill tree to it:

1. Chiseling
  2. Speed of placement
  3. Decorative blocks
  4. Doors
  5. Post/beams

Items I might add:

1. Build height - say you can only build 2-3 plots high/low normally. Additional skills to be able to build higher and lower (a normal house builder does not do skyscrapers or items way below the surface).
  2. Blueprints - as asked for in other posts. Maybe have different types of styles (Craftsman, French Revival, etc).
  3. Portals - Leave the standard one in the current skill tree. Add another in the builds for different portals:
    a. Portals that have way less cost to open and maintain
    b. Portals that can be switched to different locations (say 3 tokens in them that can be switched
    between). Maybe on a timer for each one, rotating between them.
    c. One way portals
  4. Exclusive building blocks - nothing that is currently in game but new different types (nothing that is super hard to craft just items that have to be accessed in this skill tree.
  5. The ability to make any type of block at say 1/2 the time or cost.

Just throwing those out there. :smiley:

4 Likes

Maybe to make more like specializing builds, like different build-classes.
So you can spezialise your building for different use.

1 Like

How about something that will get rid of floating trees in plots above. Might save us a few plots on our roads :joy:

2 Likes

Not a bad idea tbh, I would support the removal of trees that are disconnected from ground due to plotted area.

1 Like

beacon skill tree would have

• tax rate reduction (remove from player tree)
  • portal epic and portal distance increase (remove from player tree)
  • footfall multiplier (remove multiplier based on settlement size)
  • mesh limit cap (remove the chunk based cap)

basically there’s a handful of systems kicking around now that make more sense tied to a beacon rather than players or settlements or tech constraints. (all debatable)

3 Likes

Im for anything to reduce skillpoints spent. Especially if higher tier planets are coming. I’d even say let our home beacon have a skill that eliminates the need for atmospheric resistances but that might be too much :smile:

I am currently on the test server practice Hammer Forging with Diamond hammers and I noticed that it is only going to 197% effectiveness. Which I see in normal game is 200%. I have 8 Vitality, 8 Power and 8 Intelligence with 5 in attribute as well as forging epic. Forging Machine has 7200 Power. Am I missing something?