Prestige Over Time

There are a lot of post complaining about Settlements being absorbed, not by long term residents, but by complete newcomers turning up with what the game currently considers the right blocks.

Block values aside (for now), there’s no reward for long term residents of current settlements, and the answer - at least to me - appears to be quite simple; for beacons to gain a small amount of prestige daily. Not enough to overpower a Settlement merely by existing, but as a slight pat on the back or modifier for hanging around.

For example; 1,000 Prestige a day would only be 365,000 Prestige for an entire year; an amount that’s attainable in a single day right now, and easily attainable within a week or two.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I’m here to talk. I’ll tag in some of the usual faces; @Havok40k @Stretchious @james @Steggs101 @olliepurkiss @vdragon @lucadeltodecso @SamF

7 Likes

I like this idea. I think this would get naysayed but using your footfall coin to absorb into prestige would be a neat idea, too. I had already considered that something similar to the footfall mechanic could be used for prestige (every unique visitor raises your prestige by a nominal amount, say 100.) It wouldn’t be a lot, but it is something.

2 Likes

I’m not sure sounds like it could be turned into a bad snowball effect, say they are gleamclub and they stop playing but keep their account because they might come back, then you have a house for 20k originally turn into 500k over a year and a half but with no improvement or expansion.

Also would make it impossible for new comers to rise in rank unless constantly building to over come daily prestige plus what is already there.

Not sure we need a system to pat people on the back for just existing. Participation rewards wont help I think

5 Likes

I think I would base it on foot traffic, not time. Otherwise you could have ghost towns that have been around forever that are still the capitol just because they have so much accumulated prestige over time. I would do it like this: introduce a new prestige multiplier based on total visitors over the past month.

But I have some doubts over whether thats the right direction for prestige. Is it really correct for prestige to be based in part off of popularity? I have my doubts.

3 Likes

I like but dont like it lol. I think the idea of a timed component to prestige could be a great motivator away from instant gratification and a longer game.

I have a counter proposal; have blocks start off with 50% of their full prestige when placed, and let them grow to 100%?
Maybe following beacon fuel times like 75 after 4 weeks, 87.5 in 8 and full glory after 12.

4 Likes

It could just be login based. Every login nets you some prestige. It’ll be a littpat on the back for continuous play amongst other things.

1 Like

I think foot traffic would make solo players quit due to never being able to out do capitols or big cities

1 Like

I think that’s a brilliant idea. Maybe make it a login reward instead.

1 Like

Depends on the max size of the multiplier, say it’s 2x so a heavily visited city can get at most 2x the usual prestige. A solo player can overcome that, with enough effort.

3 Likes

If they are playing Solo, why would they want to be competing against a group/city?

2 Likes

Foot traffic could be worked into the existing “bonus modifiers” like exotic ratio or chiselage. (Yes chiselage is going to be a thing)

4 Likes

Maybe not competing, but we also don’t want to alienate them or diminish their efforts. They work hard too for what they earn.

2 Likes

‘Pat on the back’ might have been the wrong expression. The issue I’m essentially trying to circumvent is new kids on the block turning up and taking control. I have a lot of time on my hands at this moment in time, and a lot of resources. If I were minded to turn up in a settlement with the intention of naming it ‘Pseudoland’, I could do so with relative ease. It just so happens that this sort of gameplay doesn’t interest me.

This issue could also be somewhat resolved with an equalisation of a lot of block values, as right now there are the right blocks to build with (gleam, gems blocks, machines and refined metals), and there are the wrong blocks to build with (wood, rock, soil, gravel and leaves) - at least in terms of Prestige.

If being Mayor wasn’t tied to naming a settlement, that might help too - because as simple as a Settlement name is, it’s important to some people, like myself, and is the first thing you see as you enter.

You’re right though, it could snowball at 1,000 a day, so make it 500? Enough that people who stick around in a settlement have more claim over it than those who haven’t been around, but not enough to cause an issue a year down the road.

I like this idea. It has issues too though, as the Settlements with the highest footfall right now are the ones in the HUB, and since the people controlling the HUB pick the Capital for their portals, this would definitely snowball, making the current Capitals entirely out of reach.

Great suggestion.

3 Likes

That is true, but Town are competing just to be the Capital, which just gives you a yellow icon that can be seen anywhere on the planet instead of nearby. That’s all it does. A play by themselves, would not be building a town, they would either be joining an existing town, or starting a town with other players, at which point they wouldn’t be solo players anymore.

1 Like

Login based would be super game-able though; and you know boundless citizens love to game the system :smirk:

1 Like

Yeah, that makes sense. They probably wont be competing for Capitol, but it would be nice for solos to have a chance to be on top 15 or 25 if they put hard work into their builds.

1 Like

Lol true. But to what extent? It’s just a flat rate prestige boost.

1 Like

I prefer the idea of prestige increasing when You login and visit your beacon as opposed to something make prestige increase over time even if you never go there again.
Prestige grows but only if you are active.
I think prestige should go Down the more time since you were at your beacon, so if you never go there again it drops to 0.
Maybe dust. Your beacon could accumulate dust every day you don’t visit, so over time, it becomes an old dusty ruin.

3 Likes

What about instead of having a prestige addition or boost we have a prestige % reduction based on number of months user has not logged in?

If we increase prestige, then we will have prestige inflation that may not be able to overcome. But if we have % reduction based on months not logged in then that rewards the people that continue to be present in the game.

Also further. The person that gets the reduction can then earn back that % lost by playing the game each week, back up to 100%?

3 Likes

cool thought!

1 Like