Prestige Over Time

You’re preaching to the choir here, but they’re far past throwing the system out, and still feel it has a place - so I think we have to accept that and try and work with it - see how we can improve it.

I personally think 500 a day isn’t obscene - even in a year that’s only 182,000, which isn’t a whole lot at all, and tie the gain to Beacons per Settlement, so put down 100 beacons if you like, but you’ll only be getting 500 a day still, so long as they’re part of the same Settlement.

Ultimately though, I’ve lost love for my own idea after reading some of the other examples in here. The login bonus sounds more promising.

The main issue for me, in truth, is the fact that the game encourages some blocks and discourages others. In a sandbox building game, I don’t think you should be told that some blocks are better than others - which is exactly how the Prestige system works.

4 Likes

This is a good point I had not thought of. I think they want the effort to get the block to be reflected in the prestige, but does that make a build better? I would say not. And the effort to get gleam is way out of whack versus the prestige.

edit: the gleam statement made no sense

4 Likes

If that is what they want, then it isn’t reflected in-game. Crafting favours turning natural blocks into stones and timber, then into refined versions, and so on - in fact, the further down this process you go, the more you get out of them, as 36 often translates into 50.

This basically means that Refined Gleam is in fact easier to get vast amounts of than regular Gleam, which is worth less; and this is the case for almost all blocks.

Then there’s natural blocks themselves; they may be abundant, but it doesn’t make gathering them an easy task. The Prestige system currently gives you absolutely nothing for natural blocks, so if you care about Prestige, you’ve just lost access to a huge portion of the games blocks.

I have to say, I’m one of the more positive people on these forums, but the current Prestige system leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

3 Likes

My improving it would be lowering its importance in the game. That I think would provide many dividends in so many areas of the game.

I would refrain from anything that gives more active players a bonus over less active players. We already have enough bad blood consistently for people that started earlier in the game or had access to things that other people did not. Those that play get benefits already over those that do not.

100% on board with this. Every block of any type should be equal. This would move it back to a building game where that is most important. Yes we might not see fancy builds of diamond houses but I am fine with that. One person’s mud hut is another person’s castle!

Certainly equal prestige per block causes some other issues and we could get towers of mud spam instead of towers of gleam spam…

The best solution is really to delink prestige from key benefits and make it valuable for other things that are not as important or do not create conflict.

1 Like