PVE combat- Discussion

For me. combat should have a nice flow, but enemies need to have skills that you have to observe and consider, not only one, but may be 2 or three. For example a melee enemy could have a charge attack (the attack begins with an sound and animation, so you know what is coming) and a roundabout strike or stunning shash … A ranged one could burrow into the ground and come out some blocks away and has a “salve shot” (that is starting like the charge of the beast above), which you can dodge, if you are fast enough. Another one could have a shield which heals the user if you don’t hit him 3 times in 3 seconds) and can slow you down with a focused and charged beam.

The enemies don’t have to be very powerful but interesting and very different compared to each other. On this way the combat never feels lame and boring like in WoW, where all the mobs are just food for your blade. I played Guild Wars 1 for a long time, where every enemy had 4-6 skills which were the same players can lern (or equivalents). On that way even “grinding” was interesting and tactical. But GW1 was a team based game (you went always in groups of 4-8 players, filled with nscs if you had not enough real people) so let them having the same amout then players would be a bit overpowered (and to much to develop :wink: )

1 Like

I loved borderlands :smile:

Thats sweet and all but I don’t really think that kind of style suits this game.

It would be cool if you could learn some attack patterns in order to fight enemies.
couple ideas:
you have to dodge a charge to attack enemies in their weak point on their back
enemies that can only be hit by a specific type of weapon (encourage parties)

to dodge to get a better spot for a hit is a good idea, but special weaknesses (next to just melee or ranged) would be not good, cuz teamplay is something you have to reward, but not at the cost of problems (or lower fun) for single players. If there are enemies who dodge ranged attacks quite good or are evil to melee chars, that would be pain enough ;D

What if you just made certain enemies weak to different types of attacks, kinda like pokemon, but with like magic, ranged and melee? You could still fight enemies that you aren’t strong against, but there would still be elements encouraging teamplay.

For example if you attack certain enemies with the type they’re weak to they take 1.5x damage, if you attack them with the type they are its just 1x damage, and if you attack them with the type they’re strong against it would deal .75x damage

2 Likes

on that way it would be a benefit for sure :wink:

I’ve never seen this game before but it looks pretty cool! I definitely like the fighter influences in the combat. I would be down with something like that lol :stuck_out_tongue:
Though I think that we have to consider the 3d terrain we’ll be fighting on, so it might not work as well.