šŸ”« PVP in Boundless Poll

Come on. You know what I mean.

Minecraft has lots of FPS mods. It hasnā€™t changed the basic character of the game. Nobody calls Minecraft an FPS

1 Like

Iā€™m not overreacting. You have to believe everyone else is not stupid to believe they may have a point. Then you have to care what they think to believe you made a fool out of yourself. It doesnā€™t take a large portion of a population behaving in a certain manner to have effects through the community. We already have people here on the forums who donā€™t deal well with disagreements or social adversity. Just look at how upset some people get when they get flagged. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Not even the same comparison. In minecraft you have to go to a server that even offers pvp. In boundless we all inhabit the same universe. Even if it is a separate planet, it is still the same universe the pvp oriented players are not off on their own server and separated from the other players. They are in the same universe, using the same portal hubs, and buying from the same stores. The players are not restricted to a planet or beacon, even if the pvp activity is.

1 Like

I mean I know what you mean, I see those ppl all the time on ESO ā€œPvP meā€

But roblox has PvP. Do you think roblox is toxic because of it?

Iā€™ve made my point here DK, I donā€™t need you to agree with it.

I dont even understand whats going on here. can someone catch me up? offering a thousand coins for it

Some people want pvp
Others do not

Whereā€™s my 1k

1 Like

meet me at your mall. use it to fund :popcorn: for future arguments. I trust you to pick the right flavor

also, I think pvp would go quite well with summonable, lootless creatures. could make for some pretty interesting games. destiny 2, anyone?

OK It goes something like this:

Someone designed a game and released it without PVP.

Sure enough a few time units later someone showed up and said ā€œhey I want to have PVP, You should PVP me.ā€

They started a forum thread and some people wanted PVP and some didnā€™t.

The people who didnā€™t want PVP gave their reasons and the people who wanted PVP said ā€œNo we really want PVP you PVP us.ā€

Then there was some forum PVP because some people wanted PVP. Eventually enough people got blacklisted/ignored and things settled down.

Then a few weeks later someone wanted some PVP so they came to the forum and started a thread saying ā€œWe should have PVPā€. Then some people came who didnā€™t want PVP and they gave their reasons (again) and the people who wanted PVP said ā€œnah dudes youā€™re just scared of PVP. You should PVP me.ā€

Then there was some forum PVP until eventually enough people just quit and things settled down. Maybe osme people got blacklisted or ignored.

Then a few weeks later someone wanted some PVP so they came to the forum and started a thread about how we should have some PVP. So the people who donā€™t want PVP came to the forum and gave their reasons for not wanting it and then the people that wanted PVP basically told them ā€œYour reasons are minimal and PVP rocks you should PVP me.ā€

Then there was some forum PVP and that went on until everyone was tired, and maybe some people got blasklisted and/or ignored (LOL) and then things settled down again.

Until a few weeks later when another person decided they wanted some PVP. So they came to the forum and started a thread about ā€œHey we should add in some PVP.ā€ Then a bunch of people came and gave reasons why they werenā€™t interested in having PVP and the people who wanted PVP basically said ā€œNobody will force you to PVP youā€™re complaining over nothingā€.

Then some forum PVP ensued until , IDK the devs said they werenā€™t going to add PVP and so things settled down for a minute.

Until another PVP enthusiast decided that they wanted to try and get some PVP. So they came to the forum and started ā€¦

OMG the irony. Basically itā€™s what I posted about earlier but just on the forum instead of the game.

So anyways Iā€™m not sure what iteration this is, but thatā€™s pretty much whatā€™s going on again. Where can I pick up my thousand coins?

In before the lock :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Sorry, your too late! DK was quickest to answer

Did the devs ever actually say they will not entertain PVP in Boundless? Because that would settle the issue pretty quick.

And it is very clear you have had a bad experience with people goading you to pvpā€¦ but that does not mean Boundless cant learn from other games, and take precautions to discourage/prevent pvp trolls.

3 Likes

While PvP worlds or items locked behind PvP are a definite no-no, It would be nice if hitting a player with a snowball caused them to receive the same debuff as when being hit by the snow spitter.

Basically you get hit, you receive a debuff. When you reach (i think?) 20 stacks of this debuff you get defeated but can revive with no EXP penalty. I think this could be a fun way to have PvP, so long as an ā€œopt outā€ button exists.

3 Likes

Im down with this. Always kinda wanted to ambush random people with a group of people throwing snowballs for like 30 seconds. Even without any debuff. But i figure this might enrage the devs and I would be considered trolling because people cant take a joke.

1 Like

No itā€™s been stated as, basically, last priority.

Aye but itā€™s pretty thick irony how it pretty much plays out in any game that tries to appeal to both pro and anti PVP players. And I canā€™t help but see the pattern in the frequent threads about it.

Once itā€™s added, itā€™s a ā€œPVP Gameā€ :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I personally disagree in my experience.

I played a ton of destiny 2 and eso pretty much exclusively in PvE and never missed out particularly by not playing their PvP modes. I occasionally would PvP just to mix it up, and I think it enriched the experience. And on the flip side I play a lot of PvP in overwatch and CoD and battlefield all of which have large PvE modes. I donā€™t play PvE in those games other than to mix it up, but I donā€™t think the existence of PvE hurt my PvP experience, if anything it enriched it.

I think thereā€™s also a difference between ā€œI donā€™t personally care about PvPā€ vs ā€œI explicitly want there to be no PvP modeā€ that isnā€™t reflected in the polls (though it is in the comments). Both are valid opinions for what itā€™s worth.

I do think ā€œadding PvP would take away from dev time for other stuffā€ is a totally valid argument. But some basic PvP modes and hopper ball and paintballs etc for mini games shouldnā€™t hurt anybody IMO. Itā€™s easy enough to make all PvP opt-in only.

3 Likes

it always comes to the fact that some people like it some dont.

I would like to have some sort of pvp, but if you ask what would be best for the game ā€¦ i dont know.

I would argue that if devs can pull all the titan stuff out of their butt the game gets more interest.
Im an old fps player (cs.dod.codā€¦ you name it)
But still i see when game doesnt really need pvp.
As stated alrdy in this thread i feel same way about pvp would have to get more devs time in the end. Im not ready for that cause i(we) just waited over a year for this plotting mumbojambo to end.

1 Like

Na. Itā€™s only a valid argument if it comes as part of a ā€œā€¦I donā€™t want the devā€™s spending time doing X right nowā€¦ā€.

Otherwise, itā€™s just people saying ā€œI donā€™t want it, so they devā€™s shouldnā€™t do it. They should be concentrating on only things I wantā€.

If that was a valid argument, how many features would ever get built? Iā€™m sure there was people who didnā€™t care about farming at all. There was definitely people who said they shouldnā€™t bother investing anywhere near that much time on revamping plotting rules. Private planets? Nope!

The only features weā€™d get are ones that the devā€™s spring on us with literally no warning or discussion, and I donā€™t believe an absence of discussion is beneficial.

Dont know does this apply today.
Also james has said they focus first PvE then PvT after that PvP

PvT? Titan?

1 Like

I would imagine its either
player versus titans or
Player versus terrain.
Player versus turbulenz (i like to knock out ross the pie man)
Also back in 2016 someone suggested testicle but i assume thats out of the box.

1 Like