Q&A: C++, Releases, New Worlds, Wipes, World Builder, Team

Thanks for putting these up. I like the transparency! Keep it up guys!

3 Likes

Thanks @james - I know you live and breathe this game, but just wanted to say a big thanks for taking the time out of your weekend to keep everyone updated!

I like the little teasers of things in the pipeline and it’s good to know you’re as excited about what’s coming as we all are!

2 Likes

Just to confirm, this sounds like you’re parameterizing them? Sounds awesome!

1 Like

Looking forward to worldbuilder improvements :smiley:

Always a pleasure to have more intel. Thanks for taking the time to answer these, James. Definitely looking forward to the next updates.

Yes. (As I understand the voodoo) custom nodes allow the creator of the custom node to expose a subset of it’s children’s parameters for the instantiator to manipulate.

3 Likes

Thanks for this information @james, quite interesting.

Was just wondering if I could get some clarification to ensure I have a clear understanding of the overall message.

Are these Q&As saying that there will not be another update (an update pushed out to the community at large) to the game prior to an initial C++ version being released to the ‘community’ to test/use? Additionally, is there a known/estimated month for the release of this C++ version? It seems like the release of that signals a tipping point after which (assuming the C++ version doesn’t suffer any serious problems like becoming sentient and going on a murder spree…but like creative murders because it’s a sandbox game) the pace of development should accelerate towards eventual full release?

2 Likes

Worldbuilder update finally

Just to make it clear… No more Kovah when the C++ hits Steam? :cry:

@james what part is your ?
@ben thse same question like i ask james ^^ what is your part ?

and big thanks for some answer.

Afaik @ben is a designer and @james QA (not sure about james though :P)

Yes - this is correct. All the engineers are working on the C++ build. However, a first release of this isn’t too far away.

As above the first C++ release will be as soon as possible in March. Once released we’ll hopefully return to much more regular updates.

Yes. But I would say external visible development should accelerate. (We’ve been working like crazy even when there haven’t been releases happening.)

No more Kovah in the C++ Boundless universe when it’s released. Unless we get a Kovah2.0 with the new World Builder.

Director.

Designer.

1 Like

Depending on how long there is untill that update maybe we should just wait

3 Likes

I’m definitely planning to see if I can make that happen :slight_smile:

Edit: @james does the new WB still handle the old node-style world files (e.g. module.exports), and/or is conversion relatively straightforward?

Actually, may be better to just copy over the bits I want to keep, since there’s several places in Kovah where I tried to fake hierarchy biomes anyway.

3 Likes

The initial C++ Steam beta builds will use throw away worlds as we iterate the technology. So there is plenty of time everyone to explore the updated WB.

Historically the WB has always migrated old worlds when loading - I would imagine we’d attempt to continue this.

Just experiment.

3 Likes

Thank you for the first answers :slightly_smiling:

I by the way thought so, you are the fingers who pull the strings :wink:

Tell me one more thing, do you hope the 1.0 update will be released till summer?
Would by the way be a great opportunity to officially announce at gamescom and provide a great new video with all your features. I tell you the crowd will freak out! :slight_smile: I just mention, because I read you are still not sure, if you go there. But if you manage 1.0 till then, would give you a great chance for advertisement. Maybe Sony is as your sponsor also interested in it and could support with some liquidity :wink:

Edit: okay, this question is super straight, and out of the content of your answers. Don’t have to answer, but maybe keep it in mind ;D

1 Like

@james what does a director actully do? same question what does a producer do?

You can easily google those questions:

Director

(Assistant) Producer

2 Likes

Thanks @james for the info got this game yesterday and I’ve been completely obsessed ever since.

5 Likes

Welcome to the club :slight_smile:

6 Likes