Q&A: Character Progression

Maybe not truth but highly logical for the most part^^

3 Likes

Would be cool for those secret areas only non-combat professions could get to or collect.

This would be interesting only if you can have multiple characters or change your specs. If you don’t have w/e is needed and can’t change your character to have it then that is content that some players can never access without having to completely restart. I am not a fan of that idea if that’s the case.

1 Like

If there are things to collect, you could just make friends and ask for their assistance in collecting said thing (maybe for a finder’s fee). I doubt there will be impossible-to-get-to areas.

2 Likes

I agree. I think most things will be accessible to everyone! Just because you didn’t take the hunter / defender profession route, I don’t think it will stop you from attacking a titan.

3 Likes

I don’t think hunter is a class used for attacking titans anyway^^

Why not? Seems like traditional attributes that defines “hunters” would lend themselves well to taking down a larger enemy. Examples include increased speed, strength, stealth, etc.

I hear hunter and think about Large Cats, Crocs, Bears, Wolves, etc. All of them have something that helps them in a fight. Of course this is all speculation since we know next to nothing about individual professions as of right now.

If you think of it in terms of WoW classes maybe yes.
But normally a hunter is just hunting animals. No companions for example.

1 Like

I wasn’t giving animal examples as if they’re companions. I mean they ARE hunters. The word itself applies to many more species than just the humans that take guns into woods.

Edit: I’d also be really surprised if the hunter’s skills only revolve around killing individual species or things of a particular size. I think it’d be much better to say (increase slingbow dmg by 5%) or (you can now fire two slingbow bolts in quick succession) or something. Both of which seem to lend themselves rather nicely to fighting off the enemies inside a titan.

1 Like

Maybe yea, I know now at least what you meant with the animals^^
Although I think a Hunter doesn’t need fighting skills for a longer fight but rather stealth skills to one hit his pray. But anyway that’s really off topic^^

1 Like

If I think about the word “Hunter” I think about a ranged killer of small handable prey or sneaky melee character (jumping with the spear onto the prey), but also a Trapper and gatherer (especially the pelts and products given by the prey) … So I speculate that the hunter is more the real life hunter then the ranger known to most rpgs, especially cuz it’s more fitting into the sandbox crafting setting of B<

3 Likes

Hah, I only used hunter as a reference as it seemed more plausible that someone with that speciality would be marginally better equipped at fighting (but as @Clexarews says, without knowing what perks that speciality profession gets, it’s hard to say).

Saying that, you could always turn my original analogy on it’s head and say that, just because you’re not a hunter speciality, it doesn’t mean you can’t hunt - just that someone with the hunter profession should be slightly better ‘trained’ at it :wink:

I think this is highly likely as well.

3 Likes

Ah well. let me get into the habit of arguing again. So this topic as you might know is one that fairly interests me but i decided to lay back and see what people made of it. Now one of the discussions I found interesting is the whole

“Resetting and limitations of skills”

Interesting discussion. So let me go on a bit of a rant to get back into the mood. Two sides leaning from very extreme to fairly lenient. @KuroKuma is on the far extreme in the same way i am about crafting professions. Could argue for days. Personally i’m a bit of both and as always it is always a question of moderation. “What would that mean”

So what i mean about in between is that i also prefer a more open ended approach. a game i really liked was Albion Online. you had to make EACH individual thing with an absolutely extreme amount of materials (we are talking thousands of leather to level one tier of leather crafting) and the best thing was that above tier 3 you had to make each individual item to level them up. so you could literally craft only shoes and then make some damn good shoes. and even then it would take thousands of leather (fairly extreme but very satisfying)

This works due to what most people call “grind” which it totally is. Quite an enjoyable grind in my eyes tbh but still a grind never the less. And it takes a very certain group of players to enjoy these systems (i am part of them). Now this is limiting people with time and materials. which is one of two major ways to do it. The second way is the one the devs have suggested here. a limitation where you have to focus on different talent trees. this will allow them to make the trees more specialized and not necessarily as grind heavy to achieve. after all if you can only have three skill lines it wouldnt ever be a problem of the whole “one dude can do everything” which they want to avoid.

Using that to slickly slide into the main discussion point of what it would mean. It can mean a lot of things depending on how it is done. and it can be done both greatly and poorly. for example

Done well: “Damn i am not a smith so i cant make the master sword of doom, lets go to kevin to make it since he has leveled up crafting by alot”

Done poorly “Oh i cant pick up this tiny rock because i apparently doesnt have enough rock picking skill”

so its a balance between “you should really work together” and “you literally can’t even take a single step without having 4 people supporting you” (Hyperbole, yay!)

for me the professions sounds very WoW style like. you need to have certain professions to pick up certain things (like herbalism for certain plants which i assume is equal to gatherer). The major problem with this is the lack of NPC’s and what i ASSUME will be lack of drop loot. Now this can be solved quite simply with loot. they have mentioned Titans, Temples, and protectors. There could also be such a thing as randomly spawned chests with gear in it which will mean that even a warrior can somewhat salvage together decent gear just from going around and slaying monsters. but it will be based on a sort of luck. so if we use a hypothetical level system, he might be level 20 and have a level 18 helmet (lucky), level 15 sword, level 3 belt. level 7 pants and no gloves while a crafter can make every piece of equipment consistently for every 5th level. meaning that the warrior with no crafting can strive but not survive. Obviously the truly lategame stuff such as sword of doom should be only made by master crafters and an equivalent would be dropped by a hard dungeon / raid. Now to take into account the fact that we will have a universal tree it would most likely allow us to make the most basic of gear just enough to not completely get screwed over.

There should be a difference though. i suggested in another thread ages ago a system which will make it that anybody can destroy and collect a woodblock. But you will have a broken block which cant be used for crafting, if you want the block as a material you need the right tools and skill level. same with mining. you should be able to make paths but you wouldnt ever get materials because you would hurt the item too much to a point of it being unusable.

Still hanging on? blame @Clexarews he was the one who said he missed my ranting.

So the other two things that are part truth and part discussion. first the truth. @Ben mentioned that it would be an infinitely leveling system which will give you skillpoints every level. personally i dont like this. always hated it tbh. "oh you cut down a tree, now you know how to make better jewelry) Bah. Don’t like it. To me it feels like a sort of… Force people to level whatever is lowest just to effectively get points “I want to get better at mining but the easiest way to get the exp for it is to go chop wood” instead of “i want to get better at mining, therefore i will go mine” If the system is infinitely scaling anyways then i dont see any reason not to keep it skill tree specific. why not forexample at skill level 4 unlock 5 choices in mining but players can only unlock one. lets say there is a level requirement of level 20 for the “highest” skill but it branches out so much that if you want to FULLY unlock the entire skill tree you need to get for example level 100 just to get enough points of it (yeah i know limitation of time and size. example of big skilltree) that way it would meet in the middle of rewarding players who truly dedicate themself to leveling/grinding a certain tree while still allowing people with less dedication to just get a few points and get the things they truly think they need (for example a guy might go building, traveler and miner and use mining just so he can make tunnels or areas of living faster. not caring about being able to get better ore) So there is that.

The second part of the discussion is about skill resets. which is another tightrope balance. The arguments are all about “too tight means no experimentation” which is certainly true. Black Desert is a brilliant example of doing it the wrong way. you have to get single ability resets so you have to reset each single point and they cost REAL MONEY. so you can remove a point for like a dollar or get a complete reset for 15 dollars. definitely not a good way to go in my eyes. But at the same time i dont think its a good way to go with being constantly able to respec for little penalty. Hell some games even stopped pretending and just allows you to change and allocate points wherever and whenever you want. This shouldnt quite be the case either. My suggestion would be having the system mentioned above of having points tied to the actual skilltree, and then you are allowed to reset at the loss of Two skill points without losing the level for the skill tree.

The thing i realize about this is that if you reset a skilltree for the sake of getting another one. you get no points for it. which i guess my answer is just “yes. precisely”. If anybody is familiar with the crafting system of GW2 i think a system like that is somewhat appropiate. for those who arent. Basically when you unlearn a crafting profession all of your points and progress stays and you can relearn it at any time. The downside being that the more skill you had in it the more expensive it will be to unlock it again. so mastering a profession, unlearning and learning it again really hurt your wallet. The same feeling is what i want try to suggest with this system. When you press reset you get the tree locked and you can either pick another one or the same again. when you go back to the one you had unlearned you had lost two total points. This would not be devastating but it would still be a bit of a choice and penalty if the levels doesnt reset, if they scale exponentially and you reset at level 10. then you basically lost your two “easiest to get points” and it will take longer the higher level you are to regain those two points.

So those are my random thoughts from my half insane logic and what i think about the topic as it stands right now.

7 Likes

I pretty much agree with your point on chopping wood = mining exp. I find it odd but I’m reserving judgment until I see it in action.

also, I’m not sure if randomly spawned chests for loot are the best idea. My guess is that part of the intro/Founder skill tree we’ll have the ability to make basic materials/armor/whatever and then professions can specialize from there.

4 Likes

Yeah pretty much. it would come down to

A) Have random chest spawns
B) make enemies drop gear (2hand axe in a boar anyone?)
C) Have a basic crafting system.

The problem is that if you make crafting fundamentally necessary to everyone then it gets a hell of a lot harder to lock behind a skill tree wall. Even if we say that you can craft the gear you would still need the materials, and along the same road would then mean you end up with one of two scenarios.

A) People can still gather everything and make own armor making the crafting system redundant
B) You force people to use certain skill trees just so they can actually stay on the road. I think if someone wants to be a nobrain barbarian then they should not HAVE to dabble in crafting. The crafting should be for people who are willing to dedicate time to it. So for me it is like a WoW scenario where i think you need to have two cases of obtaining stuff. You either get it from crafting or you get it from random drop (chests, temples, dungeons, enemies. etc). Though unlike WoW i dont think that the gear you get is so much better than crafting is useless. The other way around actually. you would be recommended to have crafter make you gear but it isnt strictly necesarry.

2 Likes

Ah how I love these ^.^

1 Like

I think y´all comparing to the wrong game in regards of economy/crafting. This isn´t the average WoW, GW, ESO economy model where crafting and trading is nice but not mandatory.
As I understand the latest crafting & economy related devlogs the crafting system will tend towards games like EvE Online, where every item you see is crafted by a player (like the devs already stated several times) so I really don´t see random chests or weapon-drops happening.
I also don´t quite understand why anyone wouldn´t like that as think it´s really cool to imagine that every piece of metal traversed through several players before it became the weapon you are using now. So I think it would be quite interesting if you weren´t able to craft anything (except torches etc. ofc) without investing into the crafting tree.

6 Likes

Let me enlighten you atleast from a personal perspective. Because it leaves two choices as mentioned above. they either make it so you are FORCED to take crafting or make it so Crafting doesnt matter. Wouldnt be a problem if there wasnt a limit on the skill trees, but since there IS. there has to be some other semi reliable way that you can progress through the game if you for example only wants to kill stuff. i would be all for forcing people to craft if it didnt mean losing a skillslot you might want for something else. but since that is the case. this is the stance i take.

Also [quote=“Vastar, post:158, topic:4189”]
wouldn´t like that as think it´s really cool to imagine that every piece of metal traversed through several players before it became the weapon you are using now
[/quote]

The repopulation. every crafting item takes step through 15 different professions. massive pain in the ■■■■ to get anything made. Using Eve an example i think is even worse. EVE, SWG, and The Repopulation are all a nichë genre of very hardcore all time consuming games. Don’t think boundless gets even close to trying to be that.

Not even going much in on the fact that Everyone can learn how to make a poor quality armor or weapon without a lot of training.

That would be way to restrictive for a sandbox game, we are then back to the: What if you get stuck on another world without any tools at hand? They broke or you accidently threw them into lava (God now I have done that a couple of times in other games) you would then be forced to either give up your profession needing to do weeks or maybe months of work getting back to level when you get home. Just so you could shift to a crafting proffesion to make tools.

1 Like

It also depends on when you start with the trees you have to specialize in. Maybe if you split the base tree at the right time then you might be able to balance it, so everyone can craft enough basic stuff but the dedicated crafters would still have a worth because you’d need to choose the crafter skill tree to make the high-level items.

And yes, not locking skill trees at all would solve that problem too. So I’m even more for this solution now^^