Q&A: Economy

So the Central Guild is really the Central Bank of Oort, run by mythical Oortelfs and the major player run guilds leaders to keep those gears of war machine against the pesky little titans greased.

Stamp coins - Give them away - Tax usage of coins - ? - Massacre titans - Mad profitz

Wake up fellow Oortians, this is a genocidal conspiracy against the ancient ones, DO NOT support CG or their cause by accepting their blood coins!

But let’s get serious for a second.

Will any player be able to become prominent enough to join CG or is it like that the leaders of the most successful guilds will be the prominent players and they will be distributing the coins by paying salaries to their guild members, who can use those to buy materials/items/gear from smaller guilds or individual players, so to say, to pay their salary for the material gathering/crafting?

4 Likes

It sort of reminds me of these guys

For those who dont know, it is a member of something called the “Kunie Clan” from an anime log horizon where the game becomes real. these guys work in secret but have the power over all the money going in and out of the game and are more or less able to pull any of the strings in the world to their liking.

Something i would absolutely love (though unrealistic) is like in the game the actual core or the flow of gold is gathered one place deep within a massive raid.

Even if you couldnt interact with it, it would be insanely awesome if there was a physical place where the gold flow could be seen just to add a sense of lore to the game.

4 Likes

What if there already exists disconnected “world(s)” that is(are) actually treasury(ies) to hold all the coins and valuable materials, anyone or any alliance would ever need and then some?

Makes you wonder, doesn’t it?

2 Likes

This is EXACTLY what I thought of at first too haha.

2 Likes

If people want to trade by hand to avoid the tax that’s fine. The majority of people will set up a shop which can sell things 24/7 and then use their play time to go and hunt, mine, craft, explore etc. They’ll make more money, and have more fun too! If some people want to only sell one-to-one anyway, then that can be part of their charm – imagine the weapon seller who has great products, but is only there at certain times. I’m confident it won’t break the balance though.

6 Likes

Can you reveal roughly how much you want the tax to be ? is it made to be a massive gold sink or a tiny gold sink

I think people also need to remember that having more plinths doesn’t mean more money… you still need to put in the time and effort into mining/crafting the items to stock those plinths with! They don’t automatically come supplied with an endless supply of items to sell on them.

If people are willing to put in the time to gather and make things to sell, they should be able to be rewarded for it, without some imaginary base cost increase for a plinth, which should be the same cost in materials for everyone, all of the time.

I’m confident that devs can balance the in-game economy without the need for doing something like that!

4 Likes

Also if someone can make a guild or system which keeps them stocked on whatever they sell.
And the more they have plinths in different towns the more money they make then good for them.
Thats just how economics works^^

1 Like

I also don´t see a need to exponentially increase the cost of each plinth.
But increasing the tax one pays dependent on how many plinths one has active sounds like a reasonable balance mechanic for me.
So small shopkeepers that just stell some leftover stuff they found on the way don´t pay as much tax as „powersellsers“ that run giant shops by buying/selling all kinds of stuff.

@Zouls
I assume that the tax has to be quite high to keep the inflation in the game stable since it seems like the only mechanic that drains “coin” from the economy.

1 Like

That is what i would assume to, but when olli say something like

This seems to suggest that it is NOT that big a deal. If there is only one gold sink in the entire game which has to balance the economy, that is fine. however if that one goldsink can be completely avoided then it gets alot more tricky.

1 Like

For me, I feel that you should only be taxed on the items themselves and how much you sell them for, not the amount of active plinths you have at any given time. The higher price you sell an item, the more tax it should incur. Pretty much how it works with income tax, the more you earn, the more you pay (without all the shoddy loopholes the big corps tend to abuse!).

3 Likes

But… isnt that sort of inherrent? if you have a 5% tax you would obviously pay more for selling an item for 100 coin and 1 million coin. Are you suggesting that for 100 coins there might be no tax and for 1 million there might be 15%?

Or by tax did you just mean “coin” rather than “tax rate”?

1 Like

The WoW auction house also featured a pretty high tax and it was still quite popular.
I think @olliepurkiss is right with his assumption that people will happily pay the tax for the convenience that selling stuff via a plinth offers.

4 Likes

That comparison is BS, and let me tell you why!

WoW auction house was connected between EVERY CITY of the faction. meaning that anything put on the auction house could be bought anywhere

Now lets compare to plinths. Plinths are not ONLY city specific, they are physical location specific. Meaning to buy an item you would still have to physically move to the place, Which is why if they are already there and they can work it out with the crafter that they can come pick up stuff, they can do it. It will still be used if the tax is not very high or important.

It is the equivalent to saying that people can order something to their home from the internet for a mailing fee or they can go to a shop and pay the exact same fee
So no. Horrible comparison. This is not even oranges to apples, this is trucks compared to monkeys.

On a slight sidenote. This is also why vendors would only have to compete with the prices of local vendors rather than a global price which would be pressed down by as little as one person.

Yes, pretty much this … And actually, thinking about it, it would be more like ebay selling fees …

Say for example, the base tax rate for selling any item is 3% of the sold coin value. If you were to sell an item for 1000+ coin, the tax rate could increase to 8%. Or selling an item for 10000+ coin, it would increase to 15%.

Disclaimer: values shown are for example purposes only!

5 Likes

That just seems quite… bad, but i guess it could be considered an inbetween way of saying cheap items are worth selling on plinths while expensive items are best sold in person.

I never said that they are similar / the same.
I just said that both offer a convenient way to sell your stuff and take a tax for that service and that people seem to be willing to pay a tax for some convenience.

1 Like

I want the tax to be as low as possible while still doing its job. I’m thinking 5% - 10%, although until we implement it and try it out it’s hard to say. If it gets to the point that the tax isn’t a big enough sink we would look to introduce another sink rather than strangle the economy or force everyone into trading. It wouldn’t be hard to do that.

9 Likes

This is an indirect “It works with WoW AH therefore people would be willing for high taxes for the convenience of Plinths” A comparison between the two saying they are directly connected and not at all mentioning just how huge the difference in convenience actually is. But fair enough then. i will take your word for it.

I think convenience comes more from the sellers side of things, not the buyer.

You can basically still sell items even when you’re not online. There’s also an element of convenience for the buyer as they don’t have to keep checking if you’re online, or even anywhere the potential buyer, with the item they want in your pack.

2 Likes