Q&A: Economy

No. i would assume they are equal at least.

The things you mentioned are also in WoW together with the fact that you can find any item at any time for the cheapest price anywhere for “official” sale, and as a seller you can sell to anyone who is interested.

What you forget to mention is the lack of globalized auction house.

Yes

Yes. Now this is based on the assumption that you KNOW what you need are. which is the biggest difference. as time goes on and people make shops they will most likely get reputations for having certain items. However the buyer, if he is unfamilliar of the area will not know where these shops are, if they have the materials if they are sold at a reasonable price, that is the biggest part of convenience which would be lacking, which is why i think comparing WoW AH to trading plinths saying that “people will pay for the convenience” without highlighting the massive difference in said convenience. Is a bad comparison.

@Vastar did explain himself so i will just take it as that was what he meant, in which case he is right. i was only answering to what he wrote not what he meant.

2 Likes

I agree with you that it’s not the exact same system as WoW, but you have to agree, there are certain similarities between the two, even if it is only the possibility of unattended selling!

And yes, the major difference between them is, is that people wont know where your shop is initially (although saying that, if you’d never been to a city in WoW before, you still had to hunt down the shops to see what they were selling!).

I think as long as people have some way to advertise (be it by a nice external shop sign or other method), potential buyers will be more inclined to go into your shop when they visit your city/guild/area etc.

The other major difference I see between them (which hasn’t already been mentioned), is that auctions in WoW expire, whereas a plinth can hold an item indefinitely until it’s either removed or sold.

I think this is a great aspect though, it makes you have to shop around, and interact, and explore to find where there is a shop… that sells that thing you need… at a reasonable price. It’s aspects like this set Boundless apart from games like WoW.

3 Likes

Depends on whether or not you are taxed based on time or simply by the item being sold. Most likely sold, but it is a possiblity.

2 Likes

This is how salary taxes are regulated in germany. I can’t speak for all countries, but i think it’s similar[quote=“Zouls, post:76, topic:3979, full:true”]
That just seems quite… bad, but i guess it could be considered an inbetween way of saying cheap items are worth selling on plinths while expensive items are best sold in person.
[/quote]

I don’t really fear that. I actually think it really is a adequate way to regulate. In real life it also works on salaries. Of course the percentage rating has do work in a way a more expensive item gives more benefit then a cheap one.

Furthermore “Dealer” should have less taxes or a way to make more profit of buying and selling stuff.

By the way… the current concept of salary will cause infaltion of coin i guess. Like in our real world: if more and more money is created, it’s worth less and less. Don’t know if this can be stopped somehow.

It’s stopped by the tax which “destroys” money. Hopefully at an equal rate at which it is created.

4 Likes

Well [quote=“olliepurkiss, post:78, topic:3979”]
I want the tax to be as low as possible while still doing its job. I’m thinking 5% - 10%
[/quote]

If money is only used on interactions with plinths, then the current objective is to only destroy 5-10 % of money it seems. They’ll very likely need to look into other options for a second money sink.

4 Likes

or if you sell them to another person at a later point that become 10-20% and if the merchant needs materials for it first 15-30%

But yeah a second money sink would be an idea.

1 Like

Totally missed that part of your reply :sweat_smile:
That´s actually quite a good idea, but maybe a bit too math heavy for the average player.
Basing the tax on the category of the item you are selling would imo be more intuitive for the average player (5% for raw materials, 7 % for processed materials and consumables, 10% for wearables and weapon(mod)s, etc.)

what speaks against an increase of the percentage of tax, when the sell price increases?
I mean I also pay more tax (in percent and total) then someone who earns less.
But this does not make me stop working, because in the end I still have more benefit.

Of course there must be some maximum tax that is somewhere at 45% or something.

Anybody else feel tingly after reading this. It’s just so cool. Reminds me of Star wars Galaxy. Its even cooler because we are apart of it

2 Likes

Player implemented guild tax :open_mouth: ???

Guilds can run their own 1% tax for items within their borders and the money could be used to fund services e.g infrastructure, policing, etc

3 Likes

I’m fairly sure the “central guild tax” is just lore fluff to explain where the money goes. I would be intrigued to see such a system run by actual players though… I had similar “central government” plans worked up for the Illuminoorti, but I was not counting on taxes automatically going to guild’s like described above. This should prove very interesting.

1 Like

Hey guys i found some coal and i was wondering, is this new or am i excited over nothing. Probs am

I like that idea a lot more than the idea of some imaginary lore guild you pay your taxes to.

• Introduce a guild mechanic that needs (destroys) coin in order to operate (x coin/day to give every guild member +y% mining speed for example)
  • Alter the tax feature so you pay the tax to your guild and not the capital guild.
  • Make player guilds more awesome and appealing and get rid of that lore guild in one sweep :tada:
3 Likes

Im speculating again here, but the “core guild” may just function as a stopgap between launch and however long it takes for massive guild’s to assume the role, or act as a sink for guildless players.

1 Like

I really don´t like the idea of tailoring this system to massive guilds. If every player pays the tax to his guild even 2 player guilds would benefit from the system (and pay into the goldsink)

I imagine B< as a pretty social game. So I would assume that the percentage of guildless players is negligible.

3 Likes

I suspect there will be more than you think.

• Taking WoW as an example, there is a large number of people who prefer to play solo, and would likely translate into guildless players here (hopefully there’s no recruitment spam in B<)
  • I suspect that PS4 players will be less likely to join guilds due to impaired communication mediums
  • Your perception of guilded players vs not in other MMOs is skewed: the more social players are more likely to be seen in social contexts (e.g. towns)
4 Likes

I just wrote down my assumptions, so your suspections are as viable as mine.
Time and future devlogs will tell which direction the game is heading into.

This might be true, unless the devs include mechanics that encourage ‘guildplay’ :wink:

Except if the game guides everyone into social interactions (e.g. due to a crafting tree one player alone cant traverse completely on his own)

Sidenote: EvE Online (A game I perceive as a lot more similar to B< than WoW) did exactly what @Havok40k suggested: Forcing guildless players to pay a high tax to an npc guild which effectively burned the money.

2 Likes

I’d like to correct this a little, in EVE you pay tax to the corporation(EVEs’ guilds) for doing npc missions(or to player run corporation if your already joined to one), only difference being in player run guilds the tax can be set to anything between 0-100%, one way to avoid loosing income from missions is to simply create your own corporation if there isn’t any corporation your interested to join.

So the real currency sink in EVE is the regional market and contracts which have transactions taxed and feed and even those aren’t that high, which is why the economy in eve is pretty inflated.(Not to mention the possibility to convert real-life money for in-game currency(you know what I mean if your actually played the game…PLEX))

I know that there is a lot more to the EvE Online economy than the one sentence I wrote about it, but I wanted to keep it simple and on point (No (player)guild? -> Your tax goes to the NPC Guild) :wink:
I don´t want to get too off-topic but could you tell me what´s wrong about the statement you quoted?