Question about oort amalgam

Okay, so I was thinking about the cost vs sale part of it. From what i can see it is actually viable to sell this as a hunter, please correct me if I am wrong.

But from what I read on old posts. You lost about 40% effeciency. But it lasts for 3x as long as.

So even if you are losing 40% of shards, you can sell it for 2.5 times the cost of a oort shard. It will in the long run save portal users money, they do not see the effeciency loss, because they are actually saving about 15% in purchase cost for the 3x portal time.

This means the hunter makes increased sales, and the portal user saves money.

Now second scenario, if hunter sells for 2x regular oort price, you are still doubling your income for only a 40% shard loss. Which is still more profit at regular shard sales.

Am I missing something here? It does seem to be better, but the posts I have read say differently. Iā€™m not talking strictly effeciency. Iā€™m talking sale price of regular oort vs benefit/cost of amalgam.

The only cost to the hunter is gear and warp cost, which is minimized in groups. Meaning you could essentially get the same oort but increase portal fuel time over all and sales recieved for your efforts

2 Likes

From what Iā€™ve gathered, Amalgam = just throw some of your Oort in the trash and punch yourself in the face.

9 Likes

If the Ichor was easier to get and wasnā€™t an EXO exclusive item (unless they changed that) then I donā€™t see how you can sell each Amalgam for 2.5 times the average price of a single Oort Shard.

I donā€™t see how it lasts 3x as long if youā€™re losing on overall total time per Mass Craft of Amalgam. If youā€™re trying to compare smart stacks of each item, the Amalgam will win 100% of the time. I donā€™t think anybody will argue with that. I think the problem rests with the time lost when you compare the cost of the 1 Mass Craft of 100 Oort Amalgam to the Oort Shards used in the crafting recipe. Those 324 Oort Shards most likely are giving you more time than the 100 Amalgam you crafted.

From my understanding of it all, thatā€™s the reason why people donā€™t use the Amalgam and that the Ichor isnā€™t easily easy to get. Youā€™d have to focus your EXO trips specifically on obtaining it versus getting EXO gems, fossils (which will actually yield a faster return than selling Oort Amalgam anyways), EXO liquids, and probably hundreds of thousands of coin worth of other stuff compared to creature drops and Ichor you get from EXO meteor hunts.

So the time investment in acquiring the Oort Amalgam doesnā€™t out weigh the loss in fueling time if you just simply used Oort Shards instead.

4 Likes

And thatā€™s the total purpose of the amalgam. You donā€™t have to deal with the refueling as often. Thatā€™s why people wanted it. To not deal with portals as much. Now they can choose to pay a bit more in oort cost or they can choose to pay the same they have been doing with constant management.

Itā€™s a good item for those using it the way it was designed for. For the every day player itā€™s probably not the best fuel, sure.

1 Like

Where are you getting this from? Itā€™s not the efficiency cost.

I think if they got rid of the Ichor requirement then people would be using it. Thatā€™s just my personal opinion on it. The ichor is really whatā€™s holding it back.

Iā€™d gladly take a time loss per Oort Shard used in the crafting recipe if I could create a larger smart stack that overall is going to generate more portal time. I wouldnā€™t mind replacing the Ichor requirement for the elemental fusion or the element shards either. Those seem like better uses for the Amalgam fuel than Ichor.

3 Likes

And for the gameā€™s sake, the ichor doesnt have to lose its purpose. It can be used in a brew that gives you some super power.

2 Likes

we wanted bigger fuel slots so big portals match the timer off the small ones not some crazy unonbtainium
if we have collected a milion oortstone why cant we just stick it in whatever we want at once getting it is the shore why adding this oort fine system that just hurts the forgetful people

4 Likes

Some efficiency numbers here. You lose about 1/6th (16.66%) of the shards you put in if my math checks out.

3 Likes

Yea I get it. Some consider it a pain to gather. What I donā€™t get though is people wanting higher end content, and while a cheap way of doing it, this gave some higher content for people to focus on if they wanted to.

Maybe what needs to be done is the loot table on exos just bumped up in general? Then there would be more oort/ichor/ rare sentinel crests/etc?

Itā€™s give more reason to those high content things and more access to items with perceived rarity?

Dunno. Seems like it could be a good idea.

1 Like

My math says 9.4%.

Will check again.
(Both answers arenā€™t 40%.)

18x OortStone mass crafts 250 Shards.
24x OortStone mass crafts 100 Amalgam ~ 300 Shards of Portal duration.

Oortstone to Shard duration ratios are:
18 : 250 = 1 : 13.8
24 : 300 = 1 : 12.5

Lost duration per Oortstone:
13.8 - 12.5 = 1.3

As a percentage of base efficiency:
1.3 / 13.8 = 9.4%

And from memory it was supposed to be ~10%. (So no where near 40%.)

10% cost for 3x duration. Seemed ok for an initial balance.

6 Likes

Itā€™s probably my math, and it was based on the screenshots in the thread I linked

2d 12h
vs
3d 0h

Maintaining a portal isnā€™t high end content. It really isnā€™t.

I donā€™t think the loot tables need to be necessarily changed. I think crafting recipes need to be.

Iā€™d rather see Combustion or Kindling used in combination with Oort Shards to create the Amalgam or some higher end fuel. Whether thatā€™s acceptable to the majority of people or not is kind of irrelevant to me. What is more fun is. How often do you hear of people getting together and going off to some EXO to clear them? Since Iā€™ve seen the EXOs introduced, Iā€™ve only heard people openly talk about meteor hunts on them a small handful of times. I think the supply of Ichor kind of reflects that too.

How about leaving it with no purpose until we get airships and have them be part of some sort of component of the airship? We already have strong enough brew effects right now for the level of content we have. In fact, we have a lot of temporary buffs we can apply to ourselves in the game but nothing that would add more of a permanent effect. Armor with sockets or slots in them could be used for that and Ichor could be a main crafting ingredient for those orbs or socket gems that give your player small ā€œenhancementsā€.

Weā€™re over due for actual armor and gear setups that donā€™t take up inventory space. I think these are better ideas than just making more brews. Something thatā€™s actually new that changes the way people approach in playing the game is, to me at least, a way better proposition to make.

2 Likes

But its sadly not ok :frowning: Right now even normal oortstones are scarce and on top of that u losing those 9.4% if you would want longer fuel times. I think that if anyone does use amalgam its people who have like 1-2 portals and they dont want to refuel it every now and then. Oortstones are the real problem. and amalgam in my opinion should be same efficieny as normal shards. so no loss when converting them into amalgam. Then it would be QoL feature and maaaaybe, just maaybe ppl would actually start using amalgam and start gathering ichor to make it. But thats just my opinion.

4 Likes

Ah let me try to find it. It was an old post I found when googling oort amalgam, a post on our forum came up.

Iā€™m not sure how to link it, but it is a post titled Oort amalgam question. By tagris posted on apr 10th

It was already posted in this thread. But hereā€™s another link.

1 Like

Oh okay, yes this makes it much more viable. I didnā€™t know the exact math from it. I was just going off the old post because I wasnt sure where to get the info. 9.4% loss is not bad at all for 3x duration.

Thank you for the information.

With only 9.4% loss that means you could sell it at 2x the price of normal oort shards and make a profit, while also saving portal owners 33% cost

Ooof miscommunication somewhere. Wasnā€™t trying to say or imply that at all. Iā€™ve kept a max portal operating for a few months, it was a pain in the butt but certainly not high end content. I was strictly referring to ichor and their implementation on exos. If they bumped the loot table up for those who wanted ā€˜harder mobsā€™ rewarding more of the ichor from those meteors, then thatā€™s what I was saying might be a good idea.

People are tired of hunting meteors in general though it seems like so thatā€™s why I said ā€˜dunno. Seems like a good ideaā€™ but thatā€™s only if people arenā€™t tired of doing meteors.

Your fraction idea sounds good too but they donā€™t really have a history of changing things like that so I was just trying to stick in the realm of what they would be likely to do (bumping the loot tables so that t7 meteors yielded more loot).

I can agree with this. I mean, it does take both more Oortstone up front to make, plus other materials thus increasing itā€™s base cost. Having it also make the shards/anagram less efficient doesnā€™t feel justified to me. Although less than a 10% loss is not a great loss, I know when the balance pass on the forging system caused 10% or greater loss of effectiveness on the centraforge people lost their minds.

To me it costs more to make, so should be more efficient, but if it were just more potent and the same efficiency seems like a fair middle ground. Just my opinion though.

2 Likes