Quotes in replies?

This is a message board suggestion.

Can replies quote the person you are replying to? These threads can get really confusing without it. Even if the post was put into a compressed box you have to click on.

Like this?

1 Like

Yeah, but automaticly

I so confused :sweat_smile:

You’d need to suggest that to the Discourse dev team. The boundless dev’s just use their platform.

1 Like

When you hit the reply button, it doesn’t quote automatically. You have to highlight and quote the post. So I keep reading threads where people are replying to each other and I have no idea what post people are responding to;

Good to know. I thought it was one of those things where they could check various options. I’ve never seen a MB that doesn’t quote the post. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also depending if you’re on mobile or a computer browser, it will act a bit differently.
if the reply is more than one post away from the quoted post then it will show the icon of the author of the quoted text in the top right corner of the reply.

When you click/tap on it,
If you’re on a browser it will show the quoted text right above the reply, even if it was hundreds of posts prior.

If you’re on mobile then it will jump up to the original post that was replied to, and it shows a back button on the slider to take you back to the reply.

I hope that made sense or answered your question :slight_smile:

1 Like

hey just walking by

Just want to say how handy and easy to read/use are these forums. I’ve been to a few others and is such a mess.

download%20(1)

I have the exact same frustration! I really detest this forum layout. A CBD grow forum I use as well used the same thing and I really dislike using it.

It’s an automatic thing for me at this point to just hit reply so that person knows I’m directigntonthem instead of general convo and I take the extra effort to hit the quote button on my phone. It’s an extra step and inconvenient but if you don’t the conversation can get whackadoodle real quick.

I agree, most people dont know how to, myself included lol.

Edit: just figured it out :joy: yall in trouble now

I on the other hand hate when people quote full messages, instead of the relevant parts. Why do you want to quote whole post at all? If you want to post general reply to a post, then don’t quote it at all (we can scroll to that post, don’t we, no need to repeat it) or quote just few words, that are relevant, so it’s known which exact part do you reply to. I hated it in the email era too, people were lazy enough not to give a damb about so called netique. I wonder how loud wuld be the outcry if they had to write paper letters.

Quote-ception…

1 Like