Re-use of metals

Does anyone else find it either annoying or a bit odd that we can’t re-use compacted/refined/machined metals for the base metals?

It seems logical to me that we should be able to stick refined, compacted and machined copper back in the furnace to get most of, if not all the copper back?

5 Likes

I agree a recycling system should be in place, but it is also hard to find what a “right” amount would be because materials don’t have 1 to 1 costs after you bulk / mass craft.

1 Like

But it would also require the consumption of coal to melt back down, so it’s not for free :slight_smile:

Or could be done on the workbench with a fair amount of spark.

1 Like

I made a calculation with Copper. You have to calculate with the mass craft. Otherwise it wouldn’t work because you would make much profit with it. But by that here you have loss what is appropriate.

360 Copper = 50 Compact Copper (360/50=7,2 → 7)
So 1 Compact Copper is worth 7 Copper.

36 Compact Copper = 50 Refined Copper (36*7=252/50=5,04 → 5)
So 1 Refined Copper is worth 5 Copper.

36 Refined Copper = 50 Machined Copper (36*5=180/50=3,6 → 3)
So 1 Machined Copper is worth 3 Copper.

Because of mass craft it is very difficult to calculate this. And you can’t round up the numbers like 3,6 to 4, always round off. If this happens then you should consider well whether you really want to convert those Compact/Refined/Machined stuff back into Copper/Iron…
I wouldn’t do it very often, only in exceptional cases but I would like to have a way to convert them back, even if it’s a big loss.

Maybe using the Extractor for this.

I hope my calculation is logical and correct. I’m not a mathematician. :joy:

Hmmmmmmm some sort of machine that can extract things, maybe we should call it an extractor? :yum: Either that or remelting in the furnace is my preference

Seriously though thanks man! Totally agree with everything you’ve worked out.

1 Like

Good idea. I’ll get that in when I get a chance.

1 Like