Red Gleam Griefing

So after doing some research and undercover work I can confirm Nature was Proz all this time. He plotted all the red gleam so he could lure people into seeing his crashed submarine with red gleam as a reward. And he would’ve gotten away with it if it wasn’t for this pesky kid (that’s me!).

6 Likes

Bad research you did lol. I am not a troll, I hate them.

1 Like

Rare shouldn’t mean unobtainable because of some trolls and griefers who claimed all places and sell 1 raw red for 500k. IMO there should be a constant number of gleam pillars that respawn when first spot is destroyed or just regen every 13 hours in different places in the world. Sorry but i totally don’t get that idea of claiming rare blocks. If instead of glowing blocks, it would have been the only spot for mining oort shards people would get mad that one of the main game features is blocked because of some troll. Gleam does not block portal functionality, but it does block some cool lighting functionality which is even greater sin as colored light is just “very cool”.

3 Likes

So unfortunately it cannot spawn/regenerate in a different place. Blocks like gleam always regenerate on the same place.

1 Like

This is what I was saying.

That’s monopolizing them. He’s not even farming them TO sell. He’s just preventing them from being mined. That’s going to cause the price to artificially inflate.

1 Like

Its just a numbers Problem imo. Nobody would try to claim all blue or yellow gleam. But its still not available in abundance.
I feel that its in a better balance. Maybe make red slightly rarer.

But right now the number of red spawns is just way to low. Broken.

1 Like

allrigth lets protest… The Destruction of our Beloved HUB

Sh*t is going down o.O

@James Saying that monopolizing a resources is ok, then saying there should be an alternative for other players is literally contradicting yourself. A monopoly means there are no other options.

So, should monopolies be allowed or not? Because, in my opinion, such ‘strategies’ are going to drive off a vast majority of players and ruin the game.

2 Likes

Well, since I’m not well-versed in the virtues of any particular colors of gleam, could I get a quick lesson in why red gleam is so all-fired interesting? If it’s just another shiny that can’t be used to make uber weapons, toothbrushes, or extremely comfortable underwear, then who cares?

It’s rare so that causes a perceived higher value. At least that is what I can see even though many people say they don’t like red gleam.

Either way we do need a decision on this because either we need to ensure that there are other sources or that people that are intentionally griefing like this to lock up a resource should then be held accountable and there is no system to do so.

Please explain why weapons are more important than a gleam lantern, for example.

A weapon helps you.

1. defend yourself.
  2. gather rare ore/gems/Oort stone for fuel or sell.

Imo anything that adds utilities is much more important then one shade of color of a block.

1 Like

I’m using the term monopolising in a local sense.

• A player can monopolise a mountain by claiming it to build on. But they shouldn’t be able to monopolise all mountains.
  • A player can monopolise an area with a rich set of resources. But they shouldn’t be able to monopolise all resources.
  • Etc.

In this case the player chose to monopolise some of the red gleam. It’s monopolised because it’s not shared.

However another player chose to protect some of the red gleam. It’s protected so other people can’t monopolise it, and others can mine it.

IMO - there is nothing wrong with players beaconing parts of the landscape, and even particularly special parts of the landscape.

As I’ve said before, the problem in this case is that there are very few locations that contain red gleam.

IMO - this isn’t griefing.

I would also like us to create a citizen charter that captures what is and isn’t allowed in the game.

Additional: I will make sure that the next work we put online contains lots of red gleam then this issue vanishes. It’s an issue of the worlds. Not an issue of an individual player.

5 Likes

@Rumplypigskin You’re looking at the game from your subjective perspective. What about from the perspective of someone who builds huge structures and wants resources to provide certain appearances? There are people who play the game without a care for combat.

Try to view the world from other peoples’ perspectives. Always.

1 Like

@James I agree that this is a world issue and not a player issue. However, monopolizing is monopolizing… regardless of the intent of use with the end product. If I bought every cookie on Earth so that no one could eat them, so I could protect the precious cookies, I am still monopolizing them and denying them to everyone else. Intent does not define monopolization.

Griefing insinuates a malicious intent. However, can someone ruin the game for people out of sense of purpose that does not involve players? (ie. protecting a resource). Yes. It may not be ‘griefing’, but it ruins the game for some folks. Again, the intent is irrelevant. The end result is the problem.

PS. The idea of a player charter is amazing. I’d love to see that happen.

1 Like

sorry @willcrutchley the gif force is to strong :star_struck:

4 Likes

I’ve attempted to differentiate 2 usages of the term monopolising.

In the example you’ve given, buying every cookie on Earth, then you would be falling into the category of monopolising (I think I quite clearly said) shouldn’t be allowed. BUT this isn’t he case with the red gleam.

So you’re saying you have no use for gem blocks or portals? That a big structure/build could never include those types of blocks which are more rare than a red shaded rock. For example, red dirt or red wood, yeah it may not be bright or the same texture but they are blocks that can be used to replace the red gleam. The red lantern is more unique, yes. But it’s nothing I can’t live without personally. I do have red lanterns in my buildings also, but they are for lighting not a requirement.

Being in a live server with players, I am okay with the fact what those individuals actions may affect my ability to access certain resources that’s just a fact of any MMO. What this game needs is a creative solo mode where you can do this. Paying in a private server(planet) may a good option but everyone is used to playing this Minecraft-terraria voxel games and create wonderful builds with little effort and not paying extra. Just as a player is willing to troll the community and take over the red gleam is just as likely for another player to hand out tons free gleam back to the community.

I think these 2 sentences from the main Boundless website explain exactly what has happened here …

On the one hand, you have a player claiming those rare resources (à la sentence 1) , and on the other, you have a player who has claimed a plot above/below those resources, allowing others to share them (sentence 2). In my mind, it’s exactly as the game was intended to be played (no matter how inconvenient it may currently be).

Always :wink: … What some may perceive as griefing, others see as playing the game as it was intended.

The main takeaway from this incident though, is that it has highlighted a major flaw with the distribution of what is perceived as a rare or precious resource. Now that it has been highlighted, it can be fixed and this type of minimal distribution can be avoided when new worlds are introduced at the release of 1.0

On a different but similar note, I don’t see this as being all that different to the situation where some players have received green, orange and pink gleam (and even water/lava), when it’s not currently available as a manually collectible resource in the game (I know those players that have received them have distributed them among other players though, but that is a slightly moot point as not all players have access to those resources).

8 Likes