Release 169: Tweaks, Fixes and Performance!

As far as I am aware it is only with this game, and I was able to play the game without rubber-banding or returning to sanctum before the update. I am able to play other MMO’s such a World of Warcraft, Neverwinter, Final Fantasy with a latency of 80.

1 Like

Today it shows my latency as 87, but what I don’t understand is the timestamp, that seems to change more often than the other numbers. My latency sky rockets when going near more than 1 portal, and after going through a portal it shoots up to over 1000ms.

This is because the game is downloading chunks and it is overloading your networking.

What is your Chunk Rate Limit set at? Try setting it to “Low”.

and

Because these games don’t download an entire voxel world. Latency and bandwidth are not the same thing.

Please share the output from this site.

Tonight the new meditation screen has been the root of constant frustration for me.

I can deal with a bit of latency (or a lot), but being constantly disrupted by an annoying screen that pops up for a half second or two every now and again and disrupts everything is worse than the constant ads in free cellphone games.

EDIT: I’ve seen you mention previously that you design for up to 500ms of latency from client to world. The connection drop screen should only pop up after a multiple of this interval so it should take at least two seconds of bad connectivity to occur. The frequency with which I experienced the screen at with the Vulpto issues was much more regular - on and off. This implies that both the “there is a problem” and the “we’re back again” detection is overly sensitive.

Even if you have perfect control of your servers you have to accommodate traffic issues in a graceful manner. From a user experience point of view the previous release did this perfectly - I never even once thought about connectivity whilst playing. This release makes every little traffic issue into something that disrupts the user experience. Whilst it is important to let the user know that something is not quite right, it should not take control of our experience or be more disruptive than the issue it is trying to notify us of.

1 Like

I, for one, strongly prefer this method. Previously 500+ ms meant I was likely looking at the sanctum, because I got auto-driven off a cliff or into lava. Now at least instead of driving me off a cliff and losing tool durability, I’ll see the sanctum or the meditation for it for a second. Far preferable.

1 Like

Deviating a little bit from this post’s purpose. Edit:(Thought I was on “Report issues” so this is not out of topic)

While the meditation animation looks cool, I think it’s really annoying to switch the view that fast. Really feels really disruptive. A good combination would be to retain the current system (we can’t move and message pops up) but leave the player’s view as is (first person).

2 Likes

Yeah I agree completely. Especially that this can happen:

I think character should just freeze in place, no sliding, no sitting etc and as you said show just the message :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Updated OP for 169.1 release.

4 Likes

Is that out yet? One of those things blind-sided me for just about all my HP just now. If that’s reduction, who needs escalation? :slight_smile:

Meanwhile, plants on non-flat ground are pretty darned invulnerable. One can’t tell which block they’ve grown from.

Sometimes the hitbox appears above the plant. Try swinging above it as if the plant were one level higher.

2 Likes

Yeah, I smacked all around until I got it. I noticed that the bounding box for the flowers doesn’t show anymore. Couldn’t tell if that was an accident or intentional.

Updated OP for minor bug fix release.

3 Likes

Good thing, I’m, uh, dangerously close to that limit I think… Or at least I will be in a few weeks… lol.

1 Like

Updated OP for 169.3 details.

(I’m looking at you @Pseudonym84!! Crashing the game whilst we’re doing a demo!!)

6 Likes

I was shooting you guys. Totally worth it.

7 Likes

It hurt so hard it crashed the server!! :skull:

5 Likes

Never discharge your weapons at the Gods!

7 Likes

Update OP for Release 169.4 minor update.

8 Likes

You devs rock :rocket:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.