Release 192: Balance, Fixes and Polish!

i don’t understand the “problem” of the fibrous leaf…
i mean, i don’t know if everybody agrees with you, but as it is for me… i don’t run a shop, i use them for myself, as a noob when you go out for f.leaves grinding you don’t go there for 3 leafs, you consume a full iron axe (1 hit, 1 foliage broken) in this way in 10 to 15 mins you get something like 20 leaves. it is enough. faster than this - buy them in a shop?
when you start FARMING fibrous leaves you do it with a diamond axe, and you get 600 to 800 fibrous leaves per hour (obviously, if you farm that much, you surely have a shop, you surely have mass craft). just breaking foliage in a lvl1 (home)world.
in the last 2 days i went in a lvl 3 planet and gathered raw exotic earthyam via ink plant (now called traveller’s path" or something like that…) well, while gathering more or exactly 1121 raw exotyc earthyam, that took me something like 4 hour and 30 mins, but i’m not that good/fast, i was also exploring the planet), i also gathered more than 500 fibrous leaves. (i have luck maxed, bonus stat maxed)

it doesn’t exist something like “starter farming tool”, if you are “farming” you are not a “starter”, spend your money for gems toll (axe), a starter will get fibrous leaves also with a free-to-make totem…

What i’m asking myself is: what do you want, fibrous leaves to be dropped from the sky? :smiley:
making fibrous leaves easier to get, what doeas it mean? 1000 per hour? 2000 per hour?

better to put it like this: hou much time (X) you want to use to get an (Y) number of leaves?
wich is for you the right proportion?

[sorry for the long post]

2 Likes

The problem with fibrous leaves at the moment is the same as it was with coal a while ago. Their relative effort to collect dominates the process to craft a significant amount of items in the game. This is a balance (relative drop ratio) issue.

I state that the time to gather (X) leaves required for a copper/iron hammer should be < the time to gather (Z) all other materials for said hammer.

My feedback has nothing to do with end-game farming. It has to do with relative drop ratios and their impact on the economy (and thus the activities that players are driven to do).

6 Likes

wich is exactly what i said in my replay:
case n°1: you need fibrous leaves only for yourself in 10 to 20 minutes you have enough of them to craft even advanced tools, and it is more or less the same time you will stay mining, as you will not go there to mine 3 iron ore or 3 copper ore… considering that gems tool uses leather (wich don’t has fibrous leaves in the recipe, but hide and bark)

case n°2: you have a shop, your activity is to farm enourmous quantity of items, you will use end game farming tools and will use bulk/mass craft

so the only reason a player could be driven to farm fibrous leaves, it’s to sell them, if the drop ratio get higher, the price will lower, you will stay the same time to gfet the same money… for what? to see that you have a bigger number? 2000 instead of 1000 just to get the same money?

[don’t misunderstand me, i have a language barrier problem, so maybe i seem to be too direct]

2 Likes

I see your point, I don’t see many people using the single craft option very often. However I seen conversations in regards to progress from single to mass crafts. So we gotta look at things in different perspectives a player able to get enough materials to get outfitted with good weapons and a shop/group/end game gathering when we want to mass craft everything and a balance in between.

It’s hard for me suggest any balance ideas when there a lot of features that are in the works that effect gathering in different levels of the game. I always wondered about feedback that is bias based on current meta versus the long term goal. With atmospheres, group play, tier planets and such.

2 Likes

a fix happening it seems so: 192.3 ?

1 Like

Updated OP with details of Release 192.3.

8 Likes

Hi, I’m new to the game, and the first thing I felt weird on the game was the fibrous thing. I had a lot of stones, but to craft a new hammer had to go outside with a wood axe and my skills at a very low level, just farming trees hoping for a little brown leaf to show of.
Is annoying for new players, mostly because on any other game like this, crafting low tier tools is easy.
Now, after 200 hs of gaming I can farm like 100 leaves in 15/20 minutes, but it was annoying at first.

(I also have a language barrier problem, so I hope you get the point)

5 Likes

Your language barrier appears to be almost non-existent. You You did great! :smiley:

2 Likes

[Ante Scripttum 1:i don’t think that is the correct thread to speak about this]
[A.S.2: just want to give my personal view, i will not say anything anymore about fibrous leaves after this one.]

sorry man but…
stone tools are better than wooden
stone tools and equipment does not require fibrous leaf
why you were so frustrated?
I’ve been probably really lucky, as i haven’t felt the need to run from wood to iron and then to gems in the first week, as other seems to do,
i just followed what it seemed to me a natural progression and fibrous has never been a problem for my own use… with a stone axe it possibly takes 5 minutes to gather a few… but hey, it’s the first time you are looking for them, why should you feel frustraed?
i know some people see “copper, i want all my tools in copper” and they want 21 fibrous leaf to make all tools and equip in copper, while going around wih stones, after 5 mins they see iron “iron, i want all my tools in iron”, than open discord and see people speaking about gem tools “gem tools, i want gem tools” and once they see a gem tool is affordable at lvl 7 because of money got via objectives&feats, they get axe lvl 4, no power bonus, no luck bonus, nothing.
a stickman with a gem axe, probably not even the good one for fibrous farming.

from my point of view that is wrong, i’m not sayng it’s your case, as i don’t know your case, but still with wooden tools you said you were looking for fibrous… and that is wrong. wrong idea, wrong tools, wrong needs :japanese_ogre:

if at the beginning you get something at a low rate (ston axe) and then it goes better (iron axe), and then it goes smooth (silver axe), it means you are getting better= satisfaction
if you get back to a low rate = frustration (you probably have done a step longer than your leg, tryng something you can’t afford, or not smoothly affordable)
if you get frustration cause you want to run to something you can’t actually get = wrong dream :japanese_ogre:
if you r dreaming wrongly, stop and chek what you are doing, find a better way, if it works = satisfaction as you have overcome a hard situation

with fibrous leaf you are not going to get “low tier” tools, those are wood and stone… with fibrous you craft all the tools/equip from copper to gold/titanium, gems tools/equip doesn’t use fibrous leaf, so fibrous is intermediate at the moment… and you need 3 fibs for low-intermediate, 6 for high intermediate. with silver axe you need 6 and at full consumpton on foliage you get at least 35 to 45 fibs, wich, for personal use, isn’t bad at all and it means that with that tool in 10 minutes you got enough fibs to craft 11 tools.

P.S: as said at the beginning: i will not say anything anymore about fibrous leaves.

4 Likes

I just want to get some numbers onto the topic for perspective. These are based on current market value (which is a fair approximation of relative farming effort post 192 in my testing):

Item / Total Cost / Fibrous Cost / %
Copper Tool / 137 / 114 / 83%
Iron Tool / 142 / 114 / 80%
Shop Stand / 338 / 296 / 89%
Bag of Rice / 134 / 103 / 76%

These recipes really need tweaking. Fibrous Leaves are currently 80-90% of the effort to craft many basic items - which basically comes down to spam hitting leaves with a diamond axe on a T1 planet at the moment. =

Tagging in @olliepurkiss - pretty sure this is unintentional?

5 Likes

This is not the intention. I had hoped that the balance changes we made to the plant spawning and the drop rates would have smoothed this out. The 1.0 homeworlds will have more biomes with conditions that spawn the plants needed to find fibrous leaves, so that will further improve things, but I’m not sure by how much. I’m tempted to make the Sackcloth recipe need 2 fibrous leaves rather than 3 because the main material in a tool (e.g. Copper or Iron) should be the most valuable thing in the tool.

9 Likes

“I’m tempted to make the Sackcloth recipe need 2 fibrous leaves rather than 3 because the main material in a tool (e.g. Copper or Iron) should be the most valuable thing in the tool.”

Please do this!

6 Likes

How do you calculate costs?

Same way as we all do. Look for prices that items are sold at. Multiple them by required mats then divide by output. A little bit of dimensional analysis goes a long way!

While I do agree that the influence of the clothsack is odd, I have to admit that the progression in the cost of tools feels much better. Previously, (as you know) the iron and copper tools used to cost about 30-50 to manufacture.

You should’ve been playing during the 180/50 conversion. Boy, was that a bit of an issue. The point still stands that these items do heavily influence the price, but I think the issue lies more on the difference between late game mining and late game gathering. Iron and copper are literally everywhere in a late player’s life cycle. If the fibrous leaf drop rate increased on T3 planets at the same rate that the metals drop and they become as plentiful on those worlds instead of just the homeworlds as @olliepurkiss describes then we will see shifts in the prices. Unfortunately, I am on the fence about increasing the drop rate of the leaves because of where the tool prices are at.

The amount of time it takes for a beginner player to gather the necessary metal and leaves are about the same in order to craft the tools (assuming they are not playing the market this early in the game). IF we did not see an overabundance of the metals along with similar usability, higher metal prices would surely reflect in the finished price, but the disparity in late game drops is what affects this the most.

4 Likes

Updated OP with details of Release 192.4.

13 Likes

:scream::star_struck::heart_eyes:

Now just wished i didnt mass all dem sacks last night hehe. Excited to see what the new wear is like on masses

3 Likes

Thank you thank you thank you

I cannot get into the game. Every time I try it tells me " Client is out of date. Please exit and wait for update." This has been happening for about 2 hours. Steam client is up to date. I have a friend that is in same region as I am that has gotten into the game.

restart steam so it ll download the update [ @Septdawn ]