Release 195: Centraforge Gear and Epic Skills!

Or you can quickly portal home, switch back immediately, and then portal back to your gathering location.

Maybe requesting there be a more involved-process/ingredient food that provides more energy while not overriding your buff? I would vote for Starberry Stew/Risotto/Loaf, as it would make the omnipresent Starberries worthwhile again, rather than something you toss out when your inventory is full… :smiley:

Indeed no skill needed there.
First lvl of food crafting skill covers multiingredient foods made in furnace like soups and broths etc.

I realise I’m in the minority but I dislike the Forge system. I like assured outcomes when I’m spending (often pretty rare) resource. Getting a random level of boon a random boon, with a possibility of bad quirks, worse defects if you want to try and push for the higher tiers… not fun. As far as I can tell you can only narrow the area you may get a boon, not choose one. Having now tried it, I’m even more disappointed in what existing grapples/bows have become.

Having the ingreds for a random craft cost so much then watching potentially become a rubbish item, maybe getting some of it back if you loaded that potion but none if not. Ugh. I’d suggest the roulette grind have its required ingredients scaled back and some assured outcome but higher cost (perhaps as they are now) recipes added.

Now all my bows flop disappointingly and who the hell knows when I might be able to make them fire in a straight line like an old ruby.

Get forge
Grind coils
Grind forge ingreds
Craft forge ingreds
Grind base ingreds
Craft base
Forge
Cross Your Fingers
Weep

I know a lot of people like it but it’s not at all what I enjoy when having invested a load of time to get to the machine and now so much of the gear power is locked behind it.

7 Likes

You can avoid all quirks and defects bye using Pure Boon Compounds…
But yes its still present the what boon to you end up with randomness, which you can use Gum’s to make certain boons more likely but yes over all you definately can’t just say I am going to make a long range fast shooting bow that glows in the dark… To get that just requires alot of trial and error… Or going shopping to those who went thru trial and error for you!

And so from that aspect I like this, because it allows more ambitious players who are willing to go thru more hoops to capitalize on the players who are well for lack of a better word lazy or feel there time is better served doing other things…

So from that aspect I love the system, I think the forge is great, but I do think there are a few balance issues that need to be worked out still… more on the side of using forged gear to hunt and the balance of mobs and the risk vrs reward of hunting…

Yep. You say “trial and error”, I say “potentially gathering the same things from 2 to n times just to craft one desired item”.

I realise you can also avoid quirks and defects but it looks like you’d have a very hard time reaching any decent level of boon that way.

Also every spin doesn’t seem to increase boons (unless that’s a bug) even with full boon points. Some get fixed, rounds go by and they don’t improve.

Really disappointing. :frowning:

2 Likes

I find it easy to target specific stats using gums at the moment - most slots have only one stat per category and the worst ones have two (so you always get the result you want with 2 boons). On top of that you can replace undesired rolls using solvents and you can retry without farming mats again using deconstruction resin.

It’s just a matter of getting used to all the forge crafting materials we are provided with :wink:

1 Like

Can you? I found I couldn’t make enough space in a deck, even with the specific epic skill, to load enough ingreds to try and narrow the results, forge ahead with enough stability, etc. and still carry one of each removal paste in there. It just didn’t have enough slots.

And to be honest even if you could do that, that also uses turns and points and decreases the power. It also assumes no new bonus types in any of those effect categories that have low numbers of options now, not a bet I’d make.

I think I’ll be quiet after this because I’ve fed back in some detail and I’m unlikely to agree, but all this feels like just dressing on the fact that you’re expected to spend a lot of time gathering and then gamble it. Like I said, not a fan of gambling high time cost resource.

Sulfur - I agree committed players should be able to access power differently to casuals/soloers. I don’t think that needs to be a gambling gate to restrict, it could just be a straight time investment gate like now.

4 Likes

This is a fair point. If you’re out mining though, and you switch, then wait to switch back… we’re back to time out like discussed in the death penalty area. Or suffer a penalty to your intended play experience & time.

I know I’m beating the same drum but I don’t understand a lot of the balance in the latest patch at all. Switch to your defense oriented set (if you have it yet) but then wait 15 mins. Or don’t switch, get killed and wait longer to clear an XP penalty. It feels like the design decisions of people who want to discourage gameplay and I know that’s not the intent.

2 Likes

It’s because you’re forging a stack it items and don’t have enough of those ingredients to do the whole stack.

If it makes you feel any better, I’m not really a fan of the current implementation either (I just didn’t have time to do tests and give real feedback at the time it came out). It feels a lot like gambling, stack on more gambling.

I’ve never liked systems where the thing that you we’re aiming to do was conditionally successful based on plain luck. Even less so when there is the alternative boils down to: Pay extra ingredients to reduce your item’s overall potential but at least be more likely to get what you want

We now have a bunch of mutually exclusive skills. Despite opening up a single character’s overall capacity to do things by offering multiple skills sets, the game seems set on forcing largely specific builds for specific purposes. Given that, I’d have liked to see a set of skills built around using the forge. One of the benefits could have been that when fully invested into it modified the application of Gums, Pastes (anything that doesn’t directly add etc so that there is no associated vigour cost. This would at least let us move to the more agreeable (for me): Pay more ingredients to get the output you were looking for.

4 Likes

So far I have been unable to use up my 1800 vigour per craft - and that includes using boon compounds that use vigour and gums that use vigour. What are you doing differently for vigour to be an actual concern?

If the forge has a certain amount of random gambling involved in achieving a set outcome even if you have centred your skill set around the forge process then perhaps to balance things out with other ‘professions’ they could also have a random % added such as cooking will produce a certain percentage of items that have negative buffs and the same with brews etc … hunters weapons fail to fire x% of times during use and the same for armour etc and miners could end up with a random worthless resource every once in a while …so if your mining titanium, randomly you might get gravel instead and perhaps for builders every now and then build placement/orientation is random and the same for using chisels.

1 Like

You need to have a certain amount to randomness on the forge, otherwise you end up with everyone having OP high durability, fast hitting, nine block smashing super hammers everywhere.

Most other professions, with the exception of maybe crafting, already have a certain amount of randomness applied as you won’t always get the drop you want from mining or killing creatures.

1 Like

I’m not saying remove the randomness because of the reasons you just mentioned I’m just suggesting a bit more randomness in the other professions to balance it out.

1 Like

Finally all these thing come to live and I like these changes and additions to game.
Skill builder is better but now it is hard to know what certain crafting skills will grant when leveling those up (Tool tips don’t provide enough information and knowledge is really huge mess to me after cooking and brews were added to game).
Possibility for additional skill builds on same character is really nice thing. When I read earlier this year about possibility of something like this I didn’t like at all, but now I find it more fun to have possibility to play on same character instead of switching it all the time and then traveling with it to right place.

Exchange and cubits, this was little bit hard to find, I was looking it from character/profile instead of character main menu.

Forge seems by this far to me quite fun enchanting tools with new attributes. Hard to comment currently is forge really at all OP like here has been discussed, but current opinion on my side is that it is not. Since I have hoarded much resources earlier and finally being able to burn those away, also it takes really time to stand next to that machine because of its low pace of randomizing things, not like those crafting machines where you just throw things in and go back to do other things. Forge is so much funt that I wish that cooking would work somewhat same way like forge e.g. more flexibility to make own recipes, without wait times.

New doors look great and all these pale colors that I have seen in world looks better to my eye, hope to see after launch new colors on new planets :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would be careful when making suggestions like this. It can compound any problems we have with other areas of the game, such as crafting or building or shopkeeping.

We already have a random drop range for items already. It doesn’t need to be random beyond that.

3 Likes

Some people like gambling elements, some people do not. The forge is currently positioned in such a way that you aren’t forced to use it - and the reset of the game is still pretty deterministic. For those items you can only get from the forge: it’s the same as with any other mechanism - you can trade to avoid the gambling aspect.

1 Like

When people here say “You can just trade” to avoid unenjoyable systems or processes they’re missing the point that I want to enjoy the crafting too. Just buying something is, for me, a bland and unfulfilling experience. Making something is enjoyable. Asking for a change in system so it can meet both user group’s needs is not unreasonable I think. To do otherwise is just make portions of the fun of the game inaccessible to some. It could be both.

The trouble with the argument that you’re not forced to use it is that a lot of not only power but also other properties are now locked in the forge process. All base gem slingbows poot out at a paltry range. You can’t AOE, etc. etc.

So I refute that it can be avoided. Yes, if you want to have a bad grapple range and terrible shot arc forever, you can avoid it. But then the game is pretty sucky.

Edit: Also I think the progression curve to get equivalent to e.g. a sapphire grapple and ruby bow of old is out of whack. If you ever get there with the right boons, you’re so much further into an additional ingredient and crafting process. When I think about 1.0 and how long it’ll be before I can use a grapple as I could in 192 I get a bit blue (bad pun intended).

4 Likes

This is the same path Trove went down. I think there’s a fair chance Boundless is gonna have F2P transactions (they already announced the virtual currency “Cubits”) where you can pay real money to ensure you get the specific upgrade you want.

Then people gonna be like, “It’s to encourage trading!” as an excuse.

With the $40 price tag, and setting up the game with virtual currency, I think the game may slowly add more and more RNG, and more and more typical MMO-gambling items to help those with money not need to grind as much.

Why else have “Cubits”?