Release 195: Centraforge Gear and Epic Skills!

I would rather have the developers limit the possibilities and provide certainty. If the hammer you demonstrated was the result then I would agree with what you said. My opinion is that it is OP and should not be possible in any case.

I understand the lore. we are dealing with technology without being a technological species. In that case is all new technology going to be applied with 100% accuracy every time? Not in the beginning, but like most things, once you learn how to do something it should be repeatable with a high level of certainty. If I have performed a task 20 times using the same resources, methodology and equipment, the 21 time I should get the same result. I do not think I should only have a 50% chance of getting it right.

My personal opinion is they should limit what the forge can produce and eliminate the gambling aspect.

2 Likes

They might not be able to remove the gambling aspect without damaging their “Cubits” monetization model, or alienating the Whales and/or gaming addicts who pay a ton of extra money/spend a ton of hours in games.

I’d really prefer a non-RNG version, or at least alternatives to it so maybe we can spend a little extra in materials for a sure thing.

I wanted to show my support to those who also worry about the RNG of the Forge. I really don’t want this game to turn into grinding for “Forge Magic Dust” that allows a 30% chance of a specific upgrade or things like that.

1 Like

The forge has nothing to do with Cubits, nor monetization. Please stop spreading false information.

8 Likes

I’m not spreading false information. I’ve stated clearly before that “Cubits” are a gateway into monetizing RNG aspects of crafting, like in games like Trove. I’m saying the groundwork is there, and I haven’t seen anything from the Devs that makes me feel confident they won’t go monetize that way yet. I haven’t claimed this is currently implemented in the game.

Do you honestly, 100% believe that they won’t ever release a “Cubits” item that increases probability to craft a specific type of upgrade?

Yes.

This is not a freemium game. The structure is completely different.

8 Likes

Honestly… plain and simple, yes I do believe that. I’ve been here long enough to believe that.

And in fact, I believe the developers know that if they did introduce that sort of blatant p2w aspect into the game, then their core fan base would leave in droves.

10 Likes

totally agree saturation is way too low imho :confused:

1 Like

That’s what literally everyone in Trove thought, but at the end of the day, the current playerbase of Boundless isn’t enough to sustain the game long-term, they’ll have to bring in some bigger fish to pay the bills, I’m sure they’ll make a lot more money catering to the Whales than the current users.

The fact they announced “Cubits” should prompt this kind of discussion just in case that’s what their plans are. This is what Early Access is for anyways.

If a Dev wants to chime in here and say definitively they won’t ever monetize RNG chances, that’d be great.

“Skill Respecs / Character redesigns / Renames - respec your character for some Cubits,”

Based on what they wrote, they’ve already announced the intent to allow real money to be used to respec skills, so, I don’t see why they wouldn’t allow you to respec badly Forged items for real money.

Which, kind of proves my point. They laid the groundwork. I would fully expect abysmal Forge RNG, combined with Real Money “Cubits” allowing you to respec or buy items to influence Forge probabilities.

Serious question: Are you bored?
Playing doomsayer on a forum for a game that you don’t know and don’t intent to play.
Just wondering. Its funny that you put so much time and effort into it.

10 Likes

What they have allowed for is the purchase of cosmetic, superficial things.

You can already play the game and gain 3 full skill sets, allowing you to cover all aspects of play. You can already play the game and earn cubits to respec your character.

I’m sorry, but just because they have the potential groundwork for that, it doesn’t mean it will be used for that. Just because I have a sports car, it doesn’t mean I am a racing car driver.

4 Likes

Are you okay with them charging real money to allow players to Respec Forge items?

No, not at all. No one here would be. It’s probably the reason why they’re not doing it.

7 Likes

But they ARE charging Real Money to respec SKILLS. Correct?

Is there ANY confirmation from a Dev that they won’t, a few months from now, allow Forge Respecs?

stop bringing up scenarios that are not here, not seen, not announced and/or not told about.

5 Likes

The game is in early access, right? How is this not relevant? They announced “Cubits” which are a F2P model for making money in basically all multiplayer games right now?

How is discussing this not relevant? If you don’t make your voice heard now, how are they going to know you’re against Forge Respecs?

because they are not dumb …

3 Likes

Your answer makes no sense. They’re trying to monetize the game. Plenty of other MMO’s allow you to reduce the chances of a bad RNG roll by paying money, Neverwinter, Black Desert Online, Trove, etc.

Why should this game be different?

They are very clear on their intentions:

Of course they could be lying, but we’ve all seen how well that goes … cough no mans sky cough

5 Likes

That’s a good question… maybe you should ask yourself it as well.

Why should this game be different?

Simple answer is… because it’s not those games. Especially not Trove (which I’m feeling might have been your previous game before coming here, seeing as you mention it so much).

More in depth answer is that, it doesn’t have to be those games. The Boundless developers are not Lemmings, they don’t blindly follow all that have gone before and do the same thing.

There is a need to monetize so the game has potential longevity, but in such a way that is sustainable without alienating your player base and turning it toxic.

I see where you’re going with this guilty until proven innocent approach. It’s very negative. Honestly, I think my best advice for you, would to be not to buy the game - if you’re that mistrusting, you should maybe look elsewhere?

That being said, some players have recently spoken to the CEO when they saw an OP hammer created in the forge, for which his response was - “if it’s a 1 in a million chance of getting it, it’s awesome, if it’s 1 in 2, it’s OP”

I think that should summarize their views on RNG based items. Monetizing forge outcomes just does not make any sense at all, both in gameplay and for an item that has limited durability and eventually disappears.

3 Likes