Release 195: Centraforge Gear and Epic Skills!

Right. But some people might find Forge Respecs to NOT be pay to win. It’s a matter of opinion.

That’s the issue. They’ve used a subjective term. I know people who say no PvE game can ever be pay-to-win, ever. And again, “gain enough Cubits through normal play”, what does that mean? 5 hours a day? 2 hours a day? They don’t give a range. Just because you can grind out the necessary “Cubits” to get a respec doesn’t mean it wouldn’t take an extremely long time.

They intentionally haven’t put any solid numbers on any of this, it’s all vague. I’ve seen countless MMO’s say the exact same thing. “Pay to progress” is what they call it, and no one should put Forge Respecs past them until they definitively say yes or no. Countless MMO’s have allowed monetization to influence RNG, I’ve been a part of plenty of Early Access versions of those games before such things were implemented, and people said the same things you’re saying.

And as I said before, and clearly linked, they’ve allowed Respecs of Skills to be bought with Real Money, allowing Forge Respecs isn’t that big a leap. I don’t understand why you don’t join me in asking for a Dev to just say, definitively, if they plan to allow Forge Respecs, and if so, how many hours of gameplay would that require approximately?

And regarding No Man Sky, what Sean Murray did was completely lie about a HUGE aspect of the game right before launch in an interview, that’s completely different than vague, “I promise the game wont be pay-to-win” comments all MMO game devs make now.

This entire conversation was started because others pointed out for me (Because I don’t own the game) how incredibly RNG the Forge is. You don’t know any more than I do what their plans are for monetization besides vague outlines and subjective statements.

If their stance on RNG of the Forge is as clear as you seem to think it is, I’d really appreciate one of them to just say so, and end the debate.

Are they going to allow items in the game that provide bonuses of any kind beyond cosmetic and skill respecs, to have their odds improved by spending “Cubits”? Am I ever going to be able to spend “Cubits” to increase the odds my Forge creates a certain item?

You know whats funny? Both the forge and cubits are available in game. There is no need to speculate.
It’s all there to try out. I will just share some facts:

• Earning enough cubits for a skill reset takes less then 2 hours plus you get a free skill reset every week.

• Tools in this game break after some time of usage, there is no repair and they are not hard to make.

• The forge is just for “enchanting” your tools with extra effects.

• Ingredients for forging are also quite cheap.

• There is already a forge reset in the game! You lose the tool but have a high change of getting all the ingredients back.

• There are forging ingredients that allow you do undo results of bad luck, or move points around where you want them. Kinda what you suggested, but it’s already ingame and free.

All of that makes a paid forge respec rather pointless. All you could save is a tool that you could just craft again and try to forge again.

Here is how the forge works in detail:

7 Likes

Thank you for the detailed explanation. It would be nice if they don’t end up monetizing the RNG. Seems like it’s off to a good start at least, but I still encourage everyone to make it clear you don’t want that.

1 Like

Monetizing enchanting system would just make most of players use skill points elsewhere and have some players to sell over priced tools that decay out fast and waste one inventory slot :wink:
When I have seen in some games that launch having micro transactions on launch, I have felt that it is not right, but on Boundless case what they are going to offer are easy to obtain by playing and using money on those doesn’t really change much. Maybe biggest thing that might have impact is that you are able rent own planet on future with money but it is old news and I am completely fine with that. In the end this game is for me about building, building with others and exploring other players buildings.

I am amazed you didn’t get yourself killed in lava with that hammer…

2 Likes

where’s the sense???

Obviously You missed SWG Pre NGE and CU…
Best crafting game ever…

Became the worst crafting game ever over 1 simply development mistake that you “Obviously” would make!!!

Crafters become pointless, an entire playstyle becomes pointless if gear, tools, weapons etc DONT BREAK…

The game becomes very lame for crafters, and the economy slows to a hault and becomes just as lame for shop keepers!!!

2 Likes

Then don’t sit at the forge just walk thru a portal to
Gemporium
Sparta
Omni
Concrete
or a whole host of other shops who enjoy to do what you don’t.

1 Like

No it shouldn’t.

Opinions don’t matter here. Facts do.

You ask questions and most of us give you answers that are facts.

You keep speculating and you use opinions based on your past experiences. Opinions are not facts. We don’t live in IF-LAND.

Speculation can be useful if it’s balanced. Yours only brings out negative scenarios. Why not speculate about possible positive scenarios like Boundless not being a money-making machine for greedy devs, never turning into P2W and having bright long term future thanks to dedication and fair approach of its creators?

3 Likes

What’s wrong with me voicing concerns? I don’t understand.

And if the vast majority of other games that have F2P alternative currency, like Neverwinter MMO, ended up monetizing RNG, don’t you think it’s at least worth it to have the conversation, and hear from the Devs themselves if they ever plan to implement such a thing?

Monetizing RNG is P2W, isn’t it? At least if manipulating RNG gets you something that makes you a winner.

I wasn’t getting there with my question.
What I meant is that devs already stated quite strongly that they don’t want to create P2W features.
That means your question about monetizing RNG has been answered before. You’ve been informed about devs stance on it by people posting in this thread.

So, no, there is nothing wrong about voicing concerns. Just make sure that they are not misplaced.
Take a look at all answers and info you got. It’s all there.
If devs are lying or people posting here are lying than its a different issue. You can’t get too paranoid about it. In any social scenario it’s good to have some basic trust if something is stated or promised. Try not to measure devs and their plans with the stick carved on your experience with other games.

4 Likes

The answers you’ve provided me with are vague at best. They say they aren’t implementing P2W, yet, many people have their own definition of P2W these days, as I just explained above.

We don’t know what their definition of P2W is, therefore, we cannot know what things they plan to add or not in the future.

And even if they said, “Our definition of P2W is an unfair advantage over another player” for all we know, they don’t see it as an advantage as long as that other player can achieve the same results by grinding for it. It’s too vague, and I think there’s a reason it’s vague.

A specific, non-vague question would be, “Do you plan to add Pay-To-Progress-Faster Cubit items, that allow other players to achieve more, faster, and more easily?”

So we should wait and see what happens. If the game goes in the wrong direction than I’ll stop playing it. I sure won’t lose sleep over if scenarios.
You can only really act upon what is. Acting upon what might be, can only happen in your head and its a rather tiring excersise. It’s a waste of one’s energy.

5 Likes

You’d rather not make your voice heard now? The whole point of Early Access is to give feedback. If you don’t want Pay To Progress Faster, then say so, agree with me, and ask the Devs to please not ever implement such things.

I’m not concerned about paying to progress faster because it doesn’t create clear P2W scenario.
I would only be concerned about very direct P2W scenarios like buying crates of rare materials or artifacts.

2 Likes

Pay to Progress faster DOES create a clear pay to win scenario, if this game is all about markets and an MMO economy, it means if anything gets implemented in this game that speeds up your ability to progress, you could become richer faster than a non-paying player, and that’s a big deal in a game like this.

Subjectively.
A lot of players are not interested in that aspect of game and a lot that are don’t make it their ambition to be the richest in game.
Therefore it’s not a clear P2W scenario to allow people to progress faster through some payable features.

1 Like

No, it’s actually factually a big deal.

Since I joined this forum, I keep being told the same thing over and over again, either by adverts on the main page, or other people, that this is a living, breathing MMO world where there are no NPCs, players craft and create a living marketplace and all that stuff. This game is HEAVILY focused on trading and crafting, and therefore, anything that gives a player the ability to speed up those processes gets a huge advantage.

If any player can collect materials faster than another player, simply because they bought Cubits, it alters the marketplace, and a centerpiece of the game’s design, the economy, can be controlled by a few individuals. That’s a big deal.

Maybe you don’t care who runs most of the stores, or who owns most of the money in Boundless, that doesn’t mean Pay to Progress isn’t a big deal.

Plot % Size Bonuses are an example of a Pay to Progress Faster. If they implement farming without a cap on the amount you can trade, people would be able to pay money to increase the size of their plots, farm more, and take over the market, pushing out normal craftersand growers.

But again, this was all started with the RNG of the Forge. I just want to know definitively if the Devs plan to implement Pay to Progress faster options to the Forge and other parts of the game, that’s all.

Consider this.
Disparity in progression speed between players exists naturally due to differences in available playing time.
A feature to speed up progress through paying is a great option for those who can play 3 hours a week and not 30.

Anyways. Can you name features that are pay to progress faster that are in game or have been announced as coming in future?

1 Like