Release 197: New Universe, New Worlds, and New Characters!

Well you are getting cleanse points and free resets. If you use them smartly instead of just burning through things that could make it so resets aren’t bought often. People shouldn’t need to reset skills often and instead use skill sets once they’ve earned the points.

Yep I took that into account before making my comment. The freebies seem like they are there for new characters who make mistakes. Regardless of whether they exist, the price still seems high. If we assume we’re in a position where we need to buy them, the past freebies are irrelevant to the current price we face. Just putting it out there, it seems a lot for a game mechanic.

I see there was a patch today of ~100MB… but I don’t see any patch notes?

More people would buy resets if the price was lowered, to experiment more n’ more. Should be at least half the cost IMO.

They’re in the original post.

1 Like

Just have a look at my radar: :joy:

6 Likes

When i get killed in my base by a sneaky cuttle, or spitter, i am respawn away from my beacon.
With the very low hp/sp after death i easy get killed again when i try to run back to my base, and then get throw even farther away with more deaths as result.

Can i please respawn in my base if i get killed in my base?

8 Likes

@olliepurkiss @james

Great work on the latest patch - things are really feeling good!

I’d like to share my thoughts on major balance issues so far. In order of priority:

1. Many surface resources are too scarce - amongst others Saltpetre fragments (to craft all bombs, damage brews and forge mats which we need to up damage) and shimmering orbs (needed for all available end-game tools) are way too rare for their demands. These are quickly going to grow into some of the most expensive items in the game (and the most farmed / most time consuming to gather).
  2. Block placement XP is way too high - nothing gets close to it - especially with block placement being allowed at 0 stamina.
  3. Mining has become a huge chore with the lack of caves in optimal farming altitudes. This seriously deprives mining of a sense of exploration and replaces it with a sense of grind. Needs serious attention - Vulpto and Andoweem are examples of much better solutions than is live now.
  4. Signs need to have a version without a power requirement - this will frustrate many a player and prevents the logical organizing of items that anybody progressing will want to do. Gating them feels rather pointless.
  5. The balance of resources on high-end worlds feels off. We don’t get enough copper and get excessive iron. It won’t be long before copper is thrice the value of iron. Ancient tech components are also way too abundant and will quickly become uselessly cheap.
  6. Forge crafting without 500 extractor power is extremely useless. We need at least one accessible recipe that gives more than 100 boon points per round to make it worthwhile. I constantly ran out of stability before unlocking one boon on anything until I got 500 extractor power to use tier 2 mats. This is preventing the forge from being meaningfully useful until well after the player has gem access.

If you could target fixes for at least some of these balance issues that would be very well received. Keep up the great work guys!

15 Likes

I’d like to +1 to this—might be something where the community can help out a bit too (the cave configs are all publish)? Thinking about it, but unwilling to commit any time

1 Like

I will agree on all of the items except this. As a builder I should be able to get similar xp to the other roles. I do think the mining xp needs to be addressed on higher tier planets, but that aside, please do not play with the builder xp.

4 Likes

The issue here is that abusing the building XP is currently too easy and disproportionately powerful (300k xp/hour). I agree that nerfing the building XP is not the answer - but something has to be done to stop it from being abused.

Why does it matter if someone wants to power level? It won’t affect you if someone else gets to level 50.

They haft’a get the blocks to place in the first place too.

People don’t just start with infinite blocks to slam down for 300k/hour for a week straight.

5 Likes

On 3., just a personal thought, Why do we have to have a cave to see the resources in? Real mining is done by just digging. They don’t start in a cave. When I use my atlas, I don’t find a cave first then pop the atlas. I think finding a cave is just a perk, but not the main.

On 5., I have copper coming out every hole I have. Just like higher end resources are not on low end worlds, low end resources are not as abundant on higher planets. If players have to travel to get the silver, it stay’s fair that people have to travel to get the copper. Other wise we are asking for a one all shopping planet of resources. And it makes whole planets obsolete once you get higher. The low planets still need to be busy.

All other points are dead on. I’m trying to make bombs and it is quite a bit of work to get saltpetre.

5 Likes

These are balance issues. They only matter to make activities equally attractive. None of them are game breaking.

It matters to me because when I want to level I now stop what I’m doing and place stones for hours on end. It matters to the developers because instead of paying them I can do a meaningless (and not fun) grind to skip it. This does not encourage good gameplay - hence a balance issue.

It is like everyone playing rogue because it does twice as much damage as paladin and can one-shot everyone. Nothing stops everyone from doing it - but its obviously not good for the game.

I would agree with this - except that as more and more players farm high-end worlds the demand for copper will far exceed its intended market value. Again, not game-breaking, but it will tilt the economy and end up with end-game players farming low-tier worlds which is generally not good to incentivize.

EDIT: Just to add on - this may actually be the developers intent. I’m not that concerned about this one - just want to bring it to their attention as it may very well be a bug / oversight.

Also powerleveling does affect everyone. This is how:

You are the first to max out your crafting and be able to have the first huge shop, or the first high level items for sale.

ie: the first person to make xp pies will have some major money, and footfall.

1 Like

One more:

1. Death XP penalty is unreasonably high for normal playing activity at higher levels. It can take an hour plus of non-death gameplay to kill which really makes it very punitive.
9 Likes

lol the month of play before the game launches next month is like super power leveling then haha

I 900% agree with death penalty reduction. I don’t remember EVER getting so pissed in this game to date then when I die now. Holy ■■■■ on a stick Batman!! It is way the hell off. I actually don’t feel like playing after I die. This is a scary mechanic to have in a game, that your community might turn the game off and go play something else for while. You do not want this.

6 Likes

It is a shame this is being used this way. I do understand why you brought it up, but I do not want to feel punished for the actions of others. Not sure how they are going to handle this.

4 Likes