Remove footfall to balance out the playing field

you can also go on several hunts and trade your non-diamond gems (rarer gems) for diamond (less rare), then make titanium tools with your coils and forge those too.

Pure boon compound 2 requires power now and pure boon compound 1 on an iron hammer is such low effectiveness you barely get a trait or two out of it, let alone an actual useful boon. And then thereā€™s the whole reactive lamella thing to get the base to begin with.

This makes several assumptions that donā€™t fit the typical player stuck at iron. Either that theyā€™re part of a group continuously hunting meteors on high level worlds or that they have access to food and skill points that allow them to solo handle meteors on high level worlds.

The difference, in my view, is the culture. Did you play WoW in the early days after release? I was a hunter.
It was the worst possible class to pick at the time but I thought pets looked cool (google ā€˜vanilla wow hunter deadzoneā€™ at some point if youā€™re curious and werenā€™t around back then, itā€™s immaterial to the conversation) and it took me four months to get from level 30 to level 40 (it was a full pvp server and that was when you started to have to quest in full pvp maps).

That is to say, I have quite a high tolerance for this sort of thing, and things in boundless definitely should not be balanced around players like me or else we would have a population of about 10 people.

But I digressā€¦ as I was saying, the player culture here is different. People that are already established are fully able to empathize with the struggles of that mid-game wall, and many (myself included, as I suppose youā€™re well aware) are perfectly willing to help out, materially as well as with advice, the newer players struggling thru it, because this is not a competitive game.

Or, to put it in WoW terms, thereā€™s no one here that will corpse-camp and t-bag you.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think anyone is saying ā€œkill the economyā€. I think footfall is interesting but thereā€™s several options that have been presented by others. Either cap footfall, introduce a new coin faucet, or introduce a new coin sink.

But without anything to spend coins on to remove currency from the game then the overall wallets of the ENTIRE population, not just those in charge of hubs or those in capitals, will continue to get higher and higher and prices will continue to inflate and new players will be left in the dust. Itā€™s an issue that needs to be fixed sooner rather than later if the game wants to continue gaining and keeping new players.

2 Likes

I played well after release (I donā€™t remember which expansion was current, within the last few years though). They did fix Hunter at some point though, right? They didnā€™t just leave that huge dead zone because ā€œThatā€™s how the system works and every other class likes it fine.ā€

Maybe this is just toxic Protestant work ethic, but I HATE when I have to ask for help (your offer was super generous, btw. I need to talk to you tonight when I get home.) If the systems in place are so bad that new players basically have to walk into a hub, put on their Little Timmy voice, and start begging, something is wrong. Iā€™m glad there are players like you that want to help and can see that things arenā€™t right, but Iā€™d much rather the devs right the systems.

To go back to wow, if I died I walked back to my body like everyone else/talked to the spirit healer. If the only way to get picked back up after you died was to wait for a friendly Priest or Shaman to walk by, even if there were 1000s of those types of players, it would have been a bad system.

1 Like

Yeah, it wasnā€™t my original idea. I remember as newbie reading about that thread :smiley:

1 Like

Whatā€™s the issue here? I just mined 144 of them yesterday in less than an hour with just an iron axe and no movement speed.

I see your other points. They make sense to me.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t say itā€™s nearly as much of an issue as the other points, just that it requires environmental protection (at least to get to the spot Iā€™ve been getting them) and that if the only thing you can make is pure boon 1 and you make a bunch of hammers forged and they all get magnetic on them, youā€™re really quickly going to think itā€™s not quite worth it to go diving over and over. In short, nothing is wrong with gathering the resource itself, it has more to due with the overall perceived usefulness of the resource which really is an issue with centraforge RNG that other threads have touched on.

1 Like

Here is where I am confused. I will agree with your point, if it was not for footfall, I think the amount of coin coming into the economy would be problematic. It would also force builders to have to do something else for coin (buy or sell something). Why was this not a problem in the old universe when the amount of footfall was so much less? Prices seem a lot higher to me than in the old universe. Is this because the new universe is still so new, or the amount of coin in circulation is so much more? I do think if prices keep at this level the perception (even if it is not a fact) that the wealthy continue to get wealthy and the poor stay poor could hurt player retention.

I donā€™t know if its a work ethics issue. It could just be an expectation that the game should be moreā€¦ open to solo players than it is.

But itā€™s not that the newer players that are struggling must beg, or that the veterans offering to help is the ultimate solution. Itā€™s more of a case of understanding that the game has just released, and that there are more pressing issues (such as improving connection stability) that are (or should be) being prioritzed and so, until the game is at a point where the balance can be improved and the mid-game issues ironed out, I think its fair for the players that have already clawed their way up that wall to help the others climb, because fixing those issues may not happen all that quickly and the players that are suffering with those issues, are suffering right now.

If you get what I mean? I guess I got a bit rambly.

1 Like

I agree with your points as presented. I just wanted to make clear that your solution for the mid-game grind wasnā€™t ā€œGet a Sugar-Oortian.ā€

personally this is one of the things I really like about mine-craft clones. I can hang out with friends while Iā€™m whacking at things mining. Personally I watch a lot of Starcraft 2 tournaments while I mine. This is a pro for me not a con.

If you donā€™t want to mine, then yeah I can see it being very painful to progress in this game. I would be a bit sad though if they significantly changed things because I have already spent effort on it. If they trivialize that then I think it would cause even more unrest. I think that the slow progression in this game is what makes it fun compared to other sandbox ā€œgamesā€ that have 1 day of progression then no real reason to come back.

1 Like

You are probably correct. It will be interesting to see if this translates as well in a larger universe. The portal networks are pretty extensive so there is really only a few minutes difference in travel time to get to most stores, so I would think this would still be possible. The buying out of ignorance does bother me, but I made my points on this in a different thread.

1 Like

I agree with enjoying the progression being long. It just feels like the game is so incredibly balanced around gems at the moment. In EA I never bothered with them b/c Iā€™d rather go out and explore and get leaves and coal and just see the worlds. But I canā€™t do much of anything end game without power coils right now. And since I donā€™t have the coin to reasonably buy gems from anyone then my only options are do what I hate and mine for hours on end until I burn outā€¦or the far easier option of switching to a different game to occupy my time.

And Iā€™d hate to be considered a ā€œsugar-oortianā€ :stuck_out_tongue:

My reasoning for being willing to help out is entirely selfish tho, its just not short-sighted: I like the game, and the game not losing players to those mid-game issues before the devs can get around to improving them will allow me to keep playing the game longer without the servers closing for lack of players. :slight_smile:

Edit: Besides, one of the reasons that I stuck with this game during early access was because the community was, as a rule, a lot nicer and more helpful than most other online games Iā€™ve played before, and now with new players coming in, players used to those less-nicer communities and expecting to find the same here, I think I need to do my part to show by example how things are different (and hopefully better) in boundless.

3 Likes

No game can conquer human nature. Greed, selfishness are human natures not game mechanics. Itā€™s hard to depend on a game or its developers to control the human natures of man. Anti cheat systems is a must obviously to keep others from becoming prey to the worst of these natures.

Everyone knows how the world works. Everyone knows economics outside of a game. But not all the sames rules apply in a game. And if they did I would never play a game. I get enough manipulation and controlling factors over money in real life, I hate to see it 100% repeated in games. IMO, this is where games start to look bad and people get upset, because they see the same injustices here as they do in real life.

@LennonMarx made a true statement about the salt wall. In this case its ones view of footfall being a problem, when itā€™s not. And lots of emotions came to surface from that very idea. Trust me new players, you want footfall around. There is only a couple ways to make money in this game. You either sell stuff to people making stuff, or you make stuff and sell that. You get small amounts as you level. Thatā€™s it. Let the devā€™s keep giving you this small gift. Itā€™s a free gift, and if you want more you have to work at it just as hard as the ones getting more. Itā€™s not the core of the game to worry about.

If we donā€™t like the economy, then change it by changing our prices. The more people adopt, the business outline of Ebay in this game the higher prices will just keep climbing. Itā€™s easier for some to just go out and buy buy buy, and raise the price on their own stands reselling it, than to be a crafter. The more players making stuff and selling it fairly , the more it undercuts the bloated stores.

2 Likes

One nit to pick, and itā€™s a pretty big nit. People out in the boonies are working harder than similar people in the cities and making nothing for it, or at least much less. That forces players to play in a certain way, which is where the friction is coming from, the rage at footfall is the result.

2 Likes

Maybe this is a really good point. Are fewer people crafting particular items than in the old universe? Under the current skill trees you need alts or skills sets to craft everything. Is this contributing to a lack of product for sale and increased prices? The forge was also not introduced until pretty recently and that resulted in most tools not being worth much until they are forged. The forge also needs very specific skill and additional resources. Did this contribute to the higher prices?

1 Like

One caveat to your nit, that those issues are a symptom of a pretty much required quality of life technology (portals) being firmly stuck behind the ā€œI need coilsā€ wall.

I would much rather see 'em availiable at iron-level technology so that newer players can feel more integrated into the community without feeling pressured to move to the big cities (or even to the popular planets, and so on).

People should be able to build their bases and projects wherever they think it fits their vision for the build, much earlier in the game than they can right now.

1 Like

Yes. This. All this. 100% this.