Remove Portals from Boundless and Replace them with Waypoints

Portals are one of the prominent features of the game with all the freedom they bring. It is one of the features why this game went on my wishlist back then. Removing them would immensely harm the game.

Hard to find shops are not the problem of portals but labeling. When portals are not / wrongly labeled then it is a problem between shop owner and portal destination.
Another solution can be the shop name. I added a @PS Dzassak to beacon name so that everyone knows how to get there. A “via PS/TNT” is another way to do it.

3 Likes

I’ve had the same experience and even tho it’s frustrating it’s also let me stumble across some awesome builds

1 Like

I’ve had the exact same experience, and I think we even went to the same underwater base.

I try to avoid this hassle to others and thats why I name my beacon as the portal sign.

But I wish beacon names had more length, I have to abbreviate too much location names.

Maybe add a feature to the beacon where you can add a list of portals.

Another option could be that the beacon would show a list of closest active portals in a reasonable radius (100-200m) and then we could check some and when hovering through shops at the knowledge scanner we could see those portals, even click one and add it as a waypoint because many times, even knowing the name of the portal, you have to spend too much time spinning around trying to find it.

1 Like

The location tokens already serve this purpose, i don’t see having a UI menu with all possible shops listed would be much more comber some than just using the BUTT and finding shops that way, I have visited all kinds of shops this way that had no active portals just running… (also, like how to become registered as one waypoint?, should that have an upkeep? I see it becoming crowded with empty shops too…)

(couldn’t add or correct my previous comment)

I see now you suggested

I missed that. Apologies.

I feel like that other thread

We need more oort from hunts instead of getting 9 to 12 oort shards you get 15 to 25 per meteor

Has demonstrated that oort can be amassed quite quickly in it’s current iteration. Despite the game being 5 years old soon (current live universe) and many players having amassed a lot of coin in those 5 years, the current price of rough oort still isn’t enough for me to part with a ss I’ve got stashed “just in case”, many players hold onto a fair bit of stock, because they don’t have an immediate need for the coins. If a need arose, I’d probably offload it to use that coin for other things, but running a single hunt a month has me fueling 4 1x2 portals currently, quite comfortably with oort to spare… And of course some people do sell their oort so you can always buy some

1 Like

Portals are a good addition to the game, I would suggest maybe creating a different type of portal for on world only.

This would hopefully help with the bandwidth issue as well since it’s not having to connect to another server.

So there would be…

Warp Conduits: Temp travel portals that cost coin to travel to same planet locations or other planets close by.

Shop Conduits: Permanent same world portals that don’t cost Oort.
Note: These would be made out of 10 Refined Rock, 10 Refined Wood, 2 Gold Alloy, 2 Silver Alloy, 2 Opal, and 4 Refined Diamond. Single Craft = 2 Shop Conduit blocks.

Creative Bridge Conduits: Portals to the creative world that don’t cost Oort.

Portal Conduits: Permanent portals to other worlds that cost Oort.

4 Likes

Waypoints would be better utilized in less established areas, like caves, and combat zones. Drop the way point and use it to go back to base, and then back. Maybe like Diablo franchise’s Town Portal spell?

2 Likes

I’m not sure on the Power and Spark cost but I think those are good ingredients for what you want.

1 Like

Portals are one of the best features in the game. I love how you can load a portal & the world loads on the otherside. No other game does that even years later after launch.

Portal hubs are a player choice and are easily managed either by hunting or purchasing. Oort is so easy to come by and you don’t need to run a massive hub. All you need is one portal connected to a portal hub and makes travelling seamless (unless servers derp a bit lol).

We have waypoints via your location. You still need a portal to travel to the destination.

Portals are a big part of the game. If they were removed to me it wouldn’t make the game special or unique. To me they are a core part of the game to keep people, planets and communities connected.

5 Likes

Portal are iconic to the game; Removing them would be a terrible idea. It’s one of the main selling points, with how they seamlessly link two places with a seemingly live view through each side. Very rare to see something like that in a game. Only other game I can think of is Splitgate.

I don’t see any good outcomes from replacing them.

4 Likes

WE DONT NEED WAYPOINTS, WE DONT NEED TO GET RID OF PORTALS

WHY?

BECOUSE THERE IS A SOLUTION

SIMPLE SOLUTION that required only activation a code line to generate a resource block

WHICH BLOCK? THIS EXACT ONE

ONLY RESOURCE FOR WHICH ILL RENT A SOV and will be paying rent as long as ill be having steady income of oorts

only imagine the amount of nnnnew sovs only made and rent for oorts, we will flooe DEVs with money :smiley:

1 Like

If I remember correctly there were 6 Oort seam blocks on Cardass but nobody ever found them.

1 Like

I think anyone has ever found an wild Oort seam block everywhere in the :boundless: Universe :wink: :thinking:

That’s news to me, would be awesome if true, I’d use the gatherer perk and decorate with them (or more likey sell them to someone to decorate with haha)

When you say “Were” I assume they’ve since been removed, due to it being a bug.

Cardass mentioned Oortstone Seam in its resources tab. Something like 0.01%. That was changed with one of the later updates that changed how resources spawn.

I wasn’t able to find a screen shot on the forum for that, only this:

2 Likes

Also I think you can still make them appear in request baskets, there’s a bunch of those pics around.

1 Like

I agree they are great, but the game Portal actually did it first (might be others). You can see the area on the other side.

There are quite a few games with portals like this. That doesn’t make them any less special though, I love the portal system in Boundless and hope it sticks around I also hope they keep them as they are and just allow more fuel to be added than there is currently.

One argument I’d say for removing them was they were one of the main issues for server lag IIRC. I have noticed recently I am lagging every time I load into several worlds. I go through a portal into TNT and I have some serious lag for about 10 secs. Nothing I can’t deal with though.

1 Like

Player base is lower so not as many.portals. I don’t think that’s the cause of all the issues.
The lag and server issues I’d say is more down to servers needing a reboot. Because how server heavy this game is I think a regular schedule of server maintenance to sort these issues is needed. It doesn’t fix it it’s more a temporary fix but until a team is sorted I think they need to do that to keep the game running as smooth as possible.

Also if anyone is having any connection issues rather than complain on the forums (not directed at you Redlotus btw, hugs) send an email to support support@playboundless.com
If you want it fixing the best way to do it is drop an email. I’ve noticed people have been having issues for weeks. I had my first issues last night on the hunt. Sent an email right after as I lost 5 people off the hunt due to lag, connection issues and framerate/latency. Aside from the connection issues was encountered blue screen errors. Wasn’t the only one having that. Servers are well overdue maintenance so drop them an email. Enough people complain via email quicker it gets sorted
They can’t do anything if they don’t know about it.

1 Like

This lag has been occuring for me for quite some time even right after the last restart. I don’t lag anywhere else as much as I do as a place with a lot of portals.

1 Like