Rental Servers - timeline and suggestions?

Do we have a time frame for rental servers yet? Weeks, months or is it closer to years? And how much of the plan is concrete so far?

From what I understand, rental planets will be customizable to an extent… but how customizable? My guess is you choose a brightness level, natural light color, configure the sky… then move on to individually choose the colors of your grass, gleam, rocks, sand, gravel, mold, and also the tier/type for your world (to determine which 2 gems it has if any).

Would you be able to choose what % of the surface is covered by water, what % of the surface each biome covers, and how fragmented/varied the biomes are? Such as a solid ice biome planet, or a 50/50 desert/ice similar to a planet that always faces the sun on one side? Can you individually choose the length of day and night to have 2 minute nights and 40 minute days or something? Or determine how rugged/mountainous the surface is?

And regular ruleset servers would be able to connect to the regular Boundless universe? At least in that you could move back and forth with your normal characters, harvest resources on your planet such as pretty blue rocks unavailable on Official servers and sell them there? Custom planets would follow the same rules as Official planets and allow this type of travel I think… but you could set them for Only Me, Friends Only, Guild Only, Everyone, Invite Only etc. with a banish list for problematic individuals… customized permission levels such as All Are Welcome, limit 1 Beacon, limit 4 plots per beacon and such…? Or no beacons at all?

Any ideas/suggestions/feedback? Lol this post is an unorganized mess because I was trying to ask questions and brainstorm at the same time.

Would the host get unlimited plots on their own planet? That would be epic!

Maybe even have planets that don’t currently exist such as a T6 gemless coal world or something?

Also, Boundless doesn’t really have an economy right now so no worries about custom planets changing the price of anything. And I mean this as a positive thing. Lemons to lemonade.

1 Like

The operative words being “right now” when T7 and T8 worlds come out, the devs can do things to get an economy back. at least for the end grade items. so just because it doesn’t have an Econ right now, isn’t a valid reason to make it such that, it can never have a stable econ. There are also other things that they could do. but don’t seem to want to do.

I hope not. Not if it is connected to the main universe.

This is something I am 100% against. I went into more detail about this in another post, but the short version of the situation is I feel that if it is connected to the main universe, then you are not allowed to ban people off of the world or restrict access to that world. Only a dev or GM should have the power to do that on anything connected to the main universe.

If you want to see what I had to say in the past you can find it here

1 Like

If Boundless has an economy eventually we don’t want to break it. Since it’s a smoking heap right now there is nothing you can possibly do to harm it - so now is time for building! Player servers etc.

But private servers wouldn’t just randomly drop on a Tuesday patch, we’d get a heads up. Curious to how far out. I’ll read those posts when I have a min, fairly sure I’ve seen them but want to be sure. I don’t see how pvt servers could cause problems but I may have missed something unless it’s just personal preference.

In Conan Exiles, private servers were the way to go for a while but that game kinda died anyway.

Imo it really depends whether the server is going to be linked to the main universe. If it is, the server will have to follow all the rules and settings of the main universe, obviously.

However, I think if its a private, isolated server, i.e not connected to the main universe, we should be able to have full customisation.

I think somewhere they discussed having set presets for worlds, but i don’t remember

3 Likes

When you read the posts I linked, and some of the others afterwords in that topic I explain why I feel they can cause problems. This is a topic I feel very strongly about, but that doesn’t mean my view point is the correct view point, I could very well be wrong about some things, but it would be very hard to get me to change my mind about the situation.

1 Like

While I understand your concerns, if the person who rents the server doesn’t have the option to control it, what is the value proposition for them? What is the money they are spending on the “rental” actually getting them, because per your preferences it would functionally just be like those signs you see on the side of the road (This planet has been sponsored by xX420NoScopeXx).

If rental/private servers are going to be a thing, the person who rents them is almost certainly going to have GM powers, and my understanding is rentals have been promised.

3 Likes

They should only get extra powers if their world is separated from the main game universe. Otherwise it is the definition of pay to win, right?

Buyer beware scenario for sure. I would hate to build a full workshop with max coils on PwnzrPwnz’s server and then he either quits paying the bill (server goes poof) or bans me… what would happen to my stuff? Good to explore kinks like these now.

Correct. I assumed this went without saying, but if it must be said, yes, this prefaces everything in my previous comment.

2 Likes

Being able to create a world that is based on what you want it to be and having it apart of the main universe. Is that not valuable enough? This doesn’t require you to have the power to ban someone off of it.

Sure, it’s valuable, but that isn’t a “rental server.” That is a Kickstarter “if you pledge $X we’ll make a planet with your color-pallet” reward.

Maybe full GM powers would be bad, so Friends/Guild Only or No Building may be the way to go. But you should at least have unlimited plots on a server where nobody else can build.

1 Like

If you really feel the need to ban people off of your server, then make a server that is NOT connected to the main universe. Otherwise. I feel this can open up some problems involving P2W and abuse.

1 Like

On one hand banning would make people not be turds. On the other, it gives people the power to be turds.

I keep seeing people talking about private servers hooked up to the main world, and all I can ask is “why?” If you want a private server/world, don’t you want to do something different than the main world? Do people really buy these just to have no-one near them so they can play the game exactly as it works on the live servers?

All my comments are coming from the assumption that they would not be part of the main universe. Obviously if connected to the main game it has to follow all of the main game rules.

1 Like

If they are not apart of the main Universe then I don’t have any problem with whatever the server owner wants to be done. All of my concerns are mostly aimed at the servers that will be connected to the main universe.

1 Like

Do we know this is part of the plan? A private server that is connected to the main world isn’t private. What is that person paying for?

1 Like

Privacy. Only some people would be able to go to that planet.