Rental servers

Ok so you are saying there is no timeline for them currently? It’s still a discussion stage? If that’s the case I’ll just be done with the game and maybe check back in a year. Rental servers were one of the key aspects in me purchasing the game 2-3 weeks ago.

They are indeed still in discussion and planning. We’ll start with releasing a roadmap for the rest of this year, then there’s a few features we want to get some community input on to make sure we’re all on the same page / make adjustments if necessary.

11 Likes

Well I appreciate the replies. I will say as a PS4 player I definitely feel duped in how this game was described and what features would be available and when. It definitely does not fit the description in its current state. I certainly regret I purchased the deluxe edition. Maybe I’ll check back in a year and hope that it’s better and as described. I guess you can consider this exit feedback. Not sure what the best way to list all my concerns and format them. If there is a manner in which Wonderstruck does that, I’d be willing to put something together.

Thanks again for your time and replies.

2 Likes

Make a post when you return if you decide to make a server when they release them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I plan on renting a world. The real decision for me is figuring out how dangerous I want the world to be. I also have no idea how to use the World Builder tool as well. x.x

1 Like

Hi Vetteq, I thought this post from James might be helpful Q: What server configurations will be available for Boundless?

I know I for one would be very interested in renting a private server or two. My idea (although it might be unrealistic) is to have possibly even a group of private servers which can all be traveled across, much like a separate galaxy of worlds of different difficulties and types. In this way, a group of players could have a separate universe that has a different balance (my idea is primarily to make building easier) but still have a variety of worlds to choose from. Of course, I expect private galaxies of worlds to require a large amount of development work, so I don’t expect the feature anytime soon. :slight_smile:

Of course, I would be happy to help beta-test such a thing, as I would be fine editing config files or even raw binary data to alter the balance, although I suspect most rental world purchasers would want a better UI.

If there are opportunities to rent worlds in the future (that we can alter the balance/distribution of resources/crafting recipes on), then sign me up as interested for sure! :smiley:

1 Like

I am interested in the same thing. Rent a few worlds and connect them together. Allow a community, but as you said make it more builder friendly.

2 Likes

I really dread this happening. I hope they:

A. Keep them connected to the main game.
And
B. Don’t allow custom rules

Dividing the player base would be very bad.

4 Likes

Depending on how many people want private servers, I think that says a lot about how people feel about the game in its current state sadly.

edit

It may also reflect a difference in a perceived target audience. How many people bought this because they wanted Minecraft + Action, and how many bought it because they wanted Action + Minecraft? Or MMO+Sandbox, or, well, questions like that.

1 Like

this is one thing i love about wonderstruck,the transparency and inclusion of the community :heart:

4 Likes

This is what I love about the players! The support to the devs who keep improving this game :jack_o_lantern::metal:

5 Likes

Originally a lot more features were planned for 1.0 but they were sort of pushed to release it early so some of the bigger updates are still yet to come. They weren’t originally planning 1.0 until the end of the year so there are still some things that need ironed out. It will come in time

This is something i was looking forward to before i started playing the game. I am still new to the game but I now have about 170 hours played over the last 2 weeks. Now that I have played and seen the game. Rental servers is now something that I am dreading and kind of hope will not be put into the game.

Section 1: Non-Public Servers

I do not feel the player count is healthy enough for us to be isolating groups of players from each other. This is not ARK where you have about 50,000 players playing the game at the same time. As far as steam is concerned on average we have about 300ish players online with peeks of about 800. I don’t know if the numbers also reflect the PSN players, im going to assume it doesn’t but even so I do not think it would be a massive change.

Personally I feel intill the game gets popular enought to the point where the devs feel forced to add new worlds just to keep up with the player count. This game most likely should NOT have Non-public servers DEPENDING on how much the devs care about keeping the player count on the main server healthy.

Section 2: Player Owned Public Servers

I thought I read something about being able to rent a server that you will have alot of control over AND have it connected to the main universe. I feel this might create alot of problems depending how this is put in.

Since this is something a player haves to buy and I assume keep a monthly fee going. What will happen to all of the stuff on that server when the player stops paying for the server? I feel this might create the situation where work and/or assets can be removed out of the universe with or with out warning based on something outside of the players control if and when other people start to build and play on that world.

I thought I read something about the owner of the world being able to control who can and who can not place plots on the world. This is a function that should not be within a players control on a system that is connected to the main universe. I do not feel a player should be allowed to create any type of rule set that is asymmetrical from the rest of the Universe. furthermore I feel this haves a high potential to be a catalyst for Drama.

I also thought I read something about the owner of the world being able to control who can and who can’t access the world. This is function that should never be within a players control on a system that is connected to the main universe. No Player Should Ever Have The Incontestable Power To Deny Another Player Access To Resources Or Stuff They Might Have Built. This haves the extreme risk of being a catalyst for Drama when rights are revoked by the owner for whatever (most likely silly) reason.

In Conclusion

In short. I feel Non-Public Private Servers might cause more damage then its worth to the health of the main universe. and I feel that Player Owned Servers that are Connected to the main Universe will give a player too much control over what other players can or cannot do, to the point it might create alot of drama related problems.

3 Likes

I think this is a pretty good post, but I’d point out one thing, I think part of the reason the playerbase has dropped is because some players are waitin’ for private servers. Eventually, the grind is gonna wear out all the casual and builder-types who hate grind, and they’ll either quit, or wait for private servers.

When more patches get in the game, I’m confident the playbase (as well with sales) is gonna increase again, but I wouldn’t say for sure that addin’ private servers is gonna matter much. Seein’ as the playerbase has dropped, I think the people who are gonna be left are gonna be the ones who weren’t waitn’ for private servers in the first place.

2 Likes

Raises Hand Thats me.
Also I saw some streams and what some players have done, I was very excited to have my own planet to manage/run and create as my own.

2 Likes

I just dont understand this fuss. If players want private servers there are alot of other singleplayer games where you can build with alot of content.

From my understanding the selling point of this game is the mmo in it. Thats why majority of us are here. Thats what makes boundless unique. How many times we played minecraft servers that were closed after few weeks, months loosing our sweat earned buildings.

For me private servers will serve no purpose to make this game great. It will only divide player base and make it clone of other well known games. On the other hand i like the idea of player owned worlds connected to main uniwerse. It still has the feeling of being part of boundless universe.

If devs do it right it can net them alot of income and for us it might bring new crazy cool worlds. Imagine the possiblities of new portal hubs, new blocks, gleam. I bet even there can be market where players will offer cool places to settle. More gem worlds to mine etc. Why ppl are 100% sure it will be some p2w? The rules will be same everywhere.

Grind. Geez i am tired of this topic too. Its nowhere that hard as some players make it. Its quite light. I am builder at heart. I dont have any problems with getting any block, tool, etc. I want. The whole feeling of making something cool looking is doubled by the effort to make it. For example now I try to remove half of a mountain to make some cool looking temple. Now that is hard! :grin:

Recently there is ongoing trend of silver platter. Just ask yourself what will happen if you get all at once. What will keep you going. I am sure devs will bring tons of cool content for us. I love what is in the game so far and cant wait for more. Hell bring more grind :grin:

3 Likes

I don’t actually know that that’s true. I know a good number of people who came to Boundless did so because of it’s (now lessened) heavy focus on building, and didn’t care one way or the other that it was an MMO. I know that’s definitely how I feel about it.

I’d also argue that they won’t be as detrimental as you think. All the people that are waiting for Private servers are doing so because they don’t like the current state of the game. If private servers don’t happen, they will just leave and find that other game that offers them what they want. Either way, the public Boundless universe will lose them as players, and it’s better for Boundless as a whole if they’re still paying towards the game with what will essentially be a monthly subscription, to maintain their own planet(s).

2 Likes

Not really no… Imho people who want better drop rates and easier grind will leave the game without private servers either way and with private servers they will actually be able to come back and enjoy the game they want to play.
Those who can cope at this point will either be part of communities and stay or there will be no harm in them leaving.
Those who like it will stay.

i agree

i was on alot servers in minecraft, rust, ark and it at the end allways (#all) leaded to:

• admins that are active playing and administrating allmost will start cheat or world editing at some point
  • inactive or not updated servers because the admin is now playing another game
  • Special strange rules, ban ppl because admin dont liked a building or a tactic of play etc etc etc.
  • tons of mods, where most mods are just cheats at the end and not really giving new content (#notAll)
  • incredible drop rates, progress to top in 2 days, spoiler the whole game and concept of develop your progress.
  • if its a pvp game: there is some admin guild wich is kinda untouchable because if you win versus them, then they introduce new rules that punish your game/win style or even direct ban you.

so if you want that: make your own game, or get a minecraft, ark, rust server and some mods or whatever suits you.
there are also some other minecraft like blocky games out there where you can host your stuff, have fun.
Let the devs focus onto the real game, ty.

i love this game for being 1 universe with 1 set of rules that are applied to all, and the possibility to just travel around the world for a whole evening and discover the stuff that ppl who i dont know and never heard or saw have constructed somewhere on far distand world.

4 Likes