Resource Drops, Random or Not? Poll

Should resources drop based on the tool or item used?

I jus’ killed 5 Stout Ram-things, didn’t get a single bone drop. It’s frustratin’ and not fun.

Please explain your reasoning below, don’t just vote~

• Resources Drop Depending on Tool Used
  • Resource Drops are Always Random

0 voters

2 Likes

this is actually a really cool idea!
although not sure if i’m a fan of using extra durability on my super fancy forged tools :scream:
I would probably just use my totem still anyway
But I like the idea! I’ll support it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It doesn’ even have to be exactly that, it’s just frustrating, soooooo frustrating, to kill monster after monster and not get bone drops >.>

They could add a Skinner/Tanner skill tree someday so Hunters got something else to specialize in.

Adding a new tool for dismantlin’ corpses would add more content to the game and skill tree too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

oh, they definitely need to work on the mob drop loot tables, it is really lacklustre. just looted a big roadrunner and got a bone, tallow and an adrenal gland. used to get 4 oortstone

1 Like

I mean, I don’t have any problems getting monster loot - if anything I think I get too much. If you want something on the main server just lmk I’ll give ya anything atm. I have a few thousand bones :stuck_out_tongue:

You just get less when you’re on low tier worlds and don’t have luck. When you are on high tier, you sometimes get 4 bones per kill, its pretty silly

I just don’t personally see much need for this :man_shrugging: agree to disagree I guess

If you really needed bones, you could kill a monster, use a specific tool, and get bones? You think that’s a bad idea? Why?

I would prefer this to be in form of totem augments.
Meat Extracting Augment.
Blood Extracting Augment
and so on.

And very expensive to make augments for trophies. Either that or exclude trophies from augment extracting.

3 Likes

I think that’d fall under “resources drop depending on tool used” hehe. If ya consider totem augments to be “tool”-like.

I don’t think its necessary - because I kill monsters, and I get plenty of bones as it is. I don’t want targetting the loot to be too easy, it messes with the economy of the thing.

If it was always easy to farm specific loot - always get sap from trees instead of logs, or always get leaves instead of foilage - it kinda ruins the droprate based economy

So yeah, I think its a bad idea. I’m not going to say I’m the definitive voice on the subject - I’m merely a consumer like you are. But I prefer it this way

1 Like

You adjust the cost of things, no problemo. Economy problem fixed. Have you played Ark before?

Not really. Tool remains the same. The totem. It’s the augments you change. It’s somewhere between yes and no to your question. Lol.

We already have augments for totem and slingbows.

Wait a minute. Maybe slingbows could have augments that increase a chance of killed creature dropping whatever you need more? So you kill wildstock using slingbow with a Bone Extracting Augment and that affects drops when you hit the creature’s body.

Thing is that if you want to use different tools like hammer axe and so on to get drops from dead creatures, you just waste durability to do sth the tools are not designed for.

2 Likes

That’s what I mean, I’m sayin’ augments and totems could be considered “tools”, ya took the word literally when I meant figuratively.

I like your idea.

1 Like

Yes - I don’t like Ark, its economy is TERRIBLE compared to this game, and everything takes forever.

This game is a strict improvement over Ark imo

4 Likes

Well. Anyways, it came to me after I voted. And it’s neither yes or no to your poll question.
The poll made me think though. So that’s good.

And I have over 500 hours on Ark, and ran a big mega tribe for awhile, so I feel like I know what I’m talking about

1 Like

I’m not understandin’ your argument.

Do you not like getting what you want? Do you enjoy RNG?

The economy wouldn’ be ruined, you’d adjust costs of materials to account for reduction in RNG. I thought the less RNG, the better.

Does anyone here really enjoy killing multiple monsters an not getting the one drop you need? It’s frustratin.

Yes, I like RNG. That’s exactly what I’m saying :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your walking into my wheel house now and Aridhol in my opinion is correct…

If there is a more favored resource on a mob then people are going to obviously get that…
Road Runner Feathers are Rare and valuable but if a tool allowed me to always get a feather well, there goes it’s value…

Bones are not that uncommon of a drop but there less common then meat thus they have more value then meat. If one allows a person to target bone then the value of the bone decreases… but targeting bones and bloods are far less problematic then targeting Milk, Glands, Eye’s, Feathers, etc as these have far more value…

So no RNG is ultimately a good thing it maintains the correct value of the resources, it just means god forbid you have to kill a few more mobs to get your bones to make your 50 storage containers… Honestly this is the only time you will ever worry about bones… afterwards they will just turn into junk for the most part that then fills up those 50 storage containers!

2 Likes

Because then I have to carry many more types of tools to get the resources I want instead of one tool to gather a range of resources. I also have to buy or craft a range of tools so I can collect everything I need. A lot of additional work for no real benefit in my opinion.

3 Likes

Whether or not I agree with your point (or the specific context under which it is being discussed), I feel that this sentence is a little ridiculous. There is no ‘correct’ price for anything. As I’m sure you’re aware, people will charge what they charge based on availability.

Giving people a way to focus their efforts towards a specific goal doesn’t damage the economy. It IS the economy. It provides a way for savvy hunters to try to fill gaps in the market, and enable them to actually participate. Otherwise the only real participants are larger scale suppliers and retailers in Boundless.

And if you feel the need to refute that, at least think of it the other way first. If there is a resource available as a low chance mob drop, isn’t that just as damaging to the market value of all the other things that it could drop, because you’ll have hunters out trying to farm for the valuable drop and making a bunch of other stock that drives prices down for all of those things?

I’m don’t think there’s a need for a 100% guaranteed drop of anything, but some method to increase the drop chance as a multiplier (so if a mob typically drops {a:40%, b:40%, c:20%}, then after applying a buff to double the chance of getting b, your drop chances become {a:13.3%, b:80%, c:6.7%}) would be a nice change to help people target something specific. Maybe it could even be somehow tied to hunting/gathering skills.

3 Likes