Roadmap for user made content?

I was checking out the API limitations through the provided documentation. Im certain you can make some fun things even if it’s just server side scripts, having made lots of content in a similar scenario for Rust, which also allows just server side scripting. I haven’t played this game for a long time and was certainly a bit disconnected from the community but after some forum reading there appears to be no disclosed plans for the purpose of user made content at least in regards to distribution/usability. Perhaps I missed something but as it stands I just can’t be motivated enough to make content with no foreseeable use besides perhaps some Lua practice. I’m surprised that a modding api of sorts was finally released after all this time. It’s certainly cool and I hope it’s “pipeline” develops further and people make some content to test the waters here. I’ll be keeping an eye from afar and hope one day I’m convinced it’s worth investing more time into.

2 Likes

Can you clarify what do you mean with this? They’re server side scripts, what’s there to distribute?

Great question, I realize now there could be some confusion with how I wrote that. A better word would be accessibility. You are correct in that it is server side so a user would not need to download anything, however they would need to connect to the instance containing the content. As far as I’m aware there is no independent server instancing, or better put I’m not allowed to host my own boundless server with my own content. Personally I make content for two reasons, 1. It’s fun and lets me be creative using things I’m passionate about, 2. I like sharing content for others to enjoy. I don’t believe anything has been said on this topic as it’s not a light decision for a game as it could cause some issues, one being player fractioning(seperation of players into individual instances) which is bad for an MMO.

1 Like

While you are Right on spot, at the Moment, it might or might not Change if/when private worlds are released.
Lets hope for the best :slight_smile:

P.S.: First mod for me is removal of Ground Clouds of dust and smoke.

The creative mode that’s on testing atm is creating server instances that the client connects locally to. They’ve mentioned they themselves run the servers on linux. I mean there’s no official confirmation that we’re going to be able to host our own universes, but it seems pretty likely.

Quoting myself.

Future steps would include: moving the control into the main UI, allowing easy connection to friend’s universes, local or remote hosting, etc.

11 Likes

My only concern @james is the part about “Interest in the prototype and scripting will determine how it progresses further.”

While I think you can hopefully see from the forums there’s a ton of interest in creative mode, I would not expect there to be much interest in the F1-hidden prototype UI and “creative” stuff as it exists today. So if you’re basing future time investment on whether or not enough people open up F1 and actually start up a local creative server, I don’t hold out much hope for its future.

I think the real test will be once Creative Mode actually has a UI that allows for some of the things you said (I’m taking liberties on potential implementations here):

1. Spinning up a creative world locally or hosted from a Boundless UI. For example, a “start screen” might need to be introduced just after loading is done instead of loading directly into Sanctum with the last character you played. In this menu, you’d choose the mode and then go from there. QoL option could allow you to check a box allowing your preferred mode and character to be remembered so you load directly into it like you do today.
  2. Generating items on-demand. For example, the Knowledge tab, within Creative Mode, could have a simple button available where you click and are presented with a modal in which you can specify how many of the item you want. Click “Create” and they show up in your inventory.

At a minimum, I think those two things are needed (the concepts but, as stated, I provide an idea for how they could be realized) before you’re going to get any real traction on Creative Mode. Just my 2 coin though.

3 Likes