Roads increase movement speed

What do you guys think if character speed increased a small percentage when moving on crafted blocks? It would give people more reason to build roads and use them to travel short distances.

11 Likes

I like the idea. The only thing I see though is that it would only be good for towns cause of plots Everyone gets. It would be nice if people made roads/paths to neighboring towns so you can get round better. But who would waste there plots they get on that?

4 Likes

That is a good point. The devs plan to add unlimited plot gain, so that might ease the burden of road ownership. Also, there might be ppl like me who do not like building structures and have a horde of plots. Example, if a player only likes mining they can make roads from mines to towns to help them restock items quicker.

5 Likes

Took the words right out of my mouth =P

I do like the idea… maybe some sort of system where roads decay slower / semi-exempt from world regeneration than other changes to the world? Or, when roads connect plots from 2 or more different players… the protection from the plots extents to the road… at least as far as world regen?.. which then griefing would most likely become a problem ><

Ooo what about each beacon can protect x number of “Road Blocks” outside of its plots that are subject to the same or harsher persistence rules as whatever is decided for beacons?

(there is talk of beacons decaying over time / needing fuel / requiring logins to refresh them etc. (to prevent servers being clogged with inactive player beacons))

Just some quick and dirty ideas ^^

2 Likes

Oh… i hadn’t seen that feature planed… Interesting… That would open all sorts of possibilities… I HEREBY CLAIM THE WHOLE PLANET!!! XD

Yeah nothing could go wrong with that system o.O

2 Likes

It seems like you can if you really want, but it will take a very long time.

1 Like

True… i was more thinking out loud about potential abuse concerns… i wonder if it raises or lowers upkeep/cost for a server as the number of plots increas? i guess the more plots there are, the less the server would have to worry about regenerating.

1 Like

Yeah i agree with you @onebitknightly It would be a nice feature to implement as it would encourage people to craft even more. Plus it will help from hostile creature’s as the increased movement speed would help get to your house/safe place quicker :smiley:

3 Likes

I am still thinking about when they originally announced the game and how they said we could build roads/tunnels and charge people to walk through them. Now I’m imagining the exact same thing, but with the additions of many of the players opinions above.

If we could build roads out of crafted blocks that would increase movement speed and protect from aggravating nearby creatures, there would be a lot more incentive for people to want to pay a small fee (I myself am thinking about 5coin or something for remote roads and more coin for roads to bigger cities). The coin fee could also be broken down into how long somebody was on a road, or how many blocks they traveled on it.

This would also give people more incentive to craft. If by simply making a nice road you could have a fairly regular source of income, it’d be a plus for both sides if the road added more benefit than just being a flat path from point A to point B.

I had one more idea as to how roads could work differently. If there was a skill that could be unlocked by a profession (builder or crafter, maybe?) that would allow a different type of plot for them. If they could place individual block-plots and these plots had to be connected in specific ways to one another, then it would provide the “special” function of roads. That way, not everybody was wasting all the space in 8x8 plots, and the road building would be restricted somewhat to certain specialties. We could also have narrow one-block paths to quickly get through mountains, etc., or we could have great wide roads to and from the major villages and cities.

Just some musings from a Boundless freak . . .

4 Likes

While I think the idea of increased speed on roads would be really cool… why exactly would we need them? I mean… we will be able to open portals that can go to other worlds and within the same world. I think the speed idea is a great idea, but wouldn’t it be incredibly useless given we have an instant teleportation system.

1 Like

Yes in a way. But portals will cost a lot of money and they are there to travel great distance. The roads would be for going to a near by mine or other town. Maybe you want to mine or gather materials on the away from one town to the next.

Think of portals as a high speed toll highway or a airport and the roads we build as the local streets.

3 Likes

I rather think of portals as the quickest way from point A to point B. And while their cost to operate has not been disclosed, I am pretty sure it will be way cheaper in the long run than what it will cost to build roads between towns. That’s just my opinion though, I just think it would be pointless to make roads when we have portals. And if we also do get the airships like they plan, I am not sure roads will be all that necessary. Again, just my thoughts, also just wanted to throw that in just so everyone remembers that we have it. Because it is entirely possible that making the roads will actually be more expensive than making and operating the portals.

1 Like

All valid points… but most of these sound ether:
(1) endgame / require being well established
or
(2) knowing ahead of time your destination (saved location)

What about when you don’t exactly know where your going, or you want to visit the next town but you don’t have the loc. yet?

for these reasons I think roads have a valid place in Boundless… using a portal / air ship to go to a nearby mine / town seems a bit extreme while technically the fastest option

Are they an absolute mandatory? No.

Would then be nice and helpful to new and established players alike? yes =)

4 Likes

While I do agree with some points, remember that one of the key features is that towns can upgrade to become city beacons, which will automatically be searchable on planets and marked. So entirely possible that portals will be able to link from city to city, and to capital cities without actually ever having gone to them. As for the point of exploration, that defeats the purpose of a road lol.

Again, just wanted to play devils advocate and remind everyone of that feature. I do like the idea a lot of speedup on certain crafted blocks (get around the house quicker, or the cities), just wanted to have everyone keep in mind we will have instant travel options.

1 Like

I’m a bit on the fence when it comes to roads…

I can see the merit in fast travel and wanting to connect places together, but I’m dubious about the space it would take up. People have already debated about others taking up prime real estate and then not doing anything with it - I just think roads between cities or other major places will do exactly the same.

I feel they have the potential to divide as much as they connect.

5 Likes

If they don’t have large inhibitions like other plots, I think they’d add, and not detract. If it’s only the 3/4 blocks above them that are kept free from people building, it would also introduce an interesting dynamic. I don’t know about others, but I’ve wandered wilderness areas for some time wondering if a place would be nice to build in because of the traffic or lack thereof. I think it’d be fun to see a road and know that people went along it. It would make for a nice place to set up shops, organize communities, and just establish a feel to the world.

I’ll also mention similar (in scale) games like WoW. They have fast ways to get around (landmounts), faster ways (airmounts), really fast ways (zepplins), and instant ways (mage portals, etc.) including established portals from major cities to other major cities. However, even with all of these transportation means, there are roads everywhere and those roads are often used. We already have landmarks, and it’d be nice to say “Just north of [insert name of area] on this road, turn west”. It would add realism, and potential benefit for brand new players.

Even with all of the other options of warps and portals, I don’t see roads detracting from the world. If people don’t like them, they don’t have to use them. However, especially on hostile worlds, it’d be nice to have some thoroughfares where people new to the plants could hook up with one another via relative safety. Even if it’s only from reduced aggro and not eliminated aggro. Roads could even be a determining factor as to whether or not a planet is classified as “settled or not”, but that digresses into many other possibilities.

3 Likes

I am one for the roads. I will start a construction guild in boundless are sole perpose will be to make roads from one city to the next.

No but for real I think it is a great idea to have roads and that when walking on it you would have a speed boost of some sort. Roads means people are around if you are a new player and come across a road you would be like what is this. And be in awwww. If you do. It want to use a road you don’t have to. Also with roads you would know where people have been and where they are not.

4 Likes

I’m all for the mounts, I’ll be a master Roadrunner tamer!

On topic I kind of like the idea of roads, rest-stops, following a road for miles and finding a big city would be cool. Maybe it can be a Guild Upgrade thing? Your guild members can move faster when travelling on a certain surface once your guild reaches a certain level?

I’m definitely one for travelling everywhere on foot, I like to be able to navigate via landmarks, take sneaky peeks at peoples building projects (and falling down holes a lot), I doubt I’ll be warping/portalling unless it’s to other planets. Even in GW2 they had a vast network of instant travel Waypoints but I chose to go on foot to see the sights.

6 Likes

yes, mounts would be definitely be better solution for fast traveling over roads since most of the people don’t know that roads increase movement speed at basics but mounts they do. even if you get unlimited amount of plots it still get harder to get more and not many would spend they’r plots just to connect cities. it would work if there wouldn’t be world regen tough. i’m afraid mounts wont be released anyways soon if ever so i would recommend that add ability to skill tree to increase movement speed.

I totally get where you are trying to go, but you forget that WoW is an established world long before the player actually gets there. Westfall was already there long before you showed up and had its roads and houses and stuff. The worlds we are inhabiting in Boundless have literally been “cleansed” of major traces of civilization. Just wanted to say the comparison is kinda moot, you are comparing apples to oranges.

I want to agree with Stretchious on the point he made about real estate. It is something we have seen already complaints about, people placing plots over pretty areas and ruining them. I feel like the way the game is set and the whole aspect of portals, roads just don’t really fit in. Going back to CunningCelt’s comparison to WoW, reason roads exist is because not everyone has access in the games world to those super fast transportation methods such as flying, zeppelins, boats, or even portals. While the roads do serve to help players have a direct rout from place A to B, they are more there for the whole RP value of the world than for the players benefit.

Except we have a compass that shows you where all the beacons are within a certain distance, where the capital city beacon will be(all the time), where city beacons are(all the time), and where your beacon is(all the time). So really a road is irrelevant for the whole aspect of where people are and aren’t. If people are really going to follow the way devs want and turn cities/towns into the largest hubs and those hubs getting the beacon status the devs want, then anyone on the planet will know, “hey we are here.”

Again I am not saying I am against the idea of speedup blocks or even roads in general (I am for small roads say within a city) but I just feel like building roads between cities will be… pointless. Something like mounts would be great, but just roads I think defeat the purpose of having this instant teleportation feature through a magical wall. And they would detract from the beautify of the world around them. Most of the towns I have seen in the game are all built in huge clearings, or surrounded by pretty sites, throwing a road through a really pretty forest is just killing the beauty of it. I’ve even seen an under water bridge made by someone, just so that the beauty of this one lake wouldn’t be disrupted by a bridge just going right through it. (which I think made someone make a post about glass in water and it’s graphic)