Rumor: Windows Mode for XBox Series X with Steam. Boundless in the next generation of Xbox?

Well, as it is rumored, the next Xbox could bring a Windows Mode with platforms like Steam, that would mean that we could also enjoy Boudless in the future console of Microsoft.

I open the thread to listen to your opinions about it.

4 Likes

The more, the merrier :+1:

3 Likes

Only reason I have a pc is for games I can’t get on Xbox.

1 Like

Those rumours have been going around for eons and I still believe that it’s highly unlikely that MS will allow a competing digital download store on the Xbox.

They earn the most money with the Xbox store, Xbox Live and services not with selling a console and with Steam you don’t need Xbox Live to go online so, again, this seems unlikely…

I disagree, if what you say is true, there would be no xbox subscription that allows me to play a huge catalog for 1 dollar, or 4 shortly, the Game Pass. xD

Windows Mode is still a product of Microsoft, it is Windows, so it is profitable to get all your games on PC too, that is its advantage over its competitors.

Microsoft what you are looking for is to have customer retention and that they are with their legal licenses on the computers with their windows, you will need a legal license just like now you need it in windows 10 to be able to have the Game Pass.

With enough customer retention, they can sell you all their computer and player services as well as all the people who get them from their pirate licenses to the legal ones. It is also my case, before the game pass I did not feel the need to pay for a windows license.

Which in turn means one can then sub to the cheaper Win10 GamePass and not the Xbox one. Plus you also do not need to have a sub to Xbox Live anymore…

… which results in less profits, which is a fact, no if’s and but’s about it.

Wouldn’t make any business sense whatsoever.

I know it has been a fantasy for a long time now for many people but I really do not see this happening.

Eh, right now thats a rumor, microsoft gets their money back from subscription services like xbox live and the game pass. If the allowed 3rd party store fronts on their console they wouldnt really have much else to compete on and the are already going to sell consoles at a loss.

I play this game on my tv some times using HDMI out of my laptop, the wireless xbox dongle, a xbox one controller with a pair of headphones plugged into that.

Steam supports big picture mode with makes it basically a console and its fully compatible with both xbox and ps4 controllers. im 99% sure ps4 controllers also work on the pc because steam has the settings for it.

1 Like

It makes no sense if you are ignoring customer retention and that the customer is using your services instead of using the services of the competition, also keep in mind that there are not many costs in that service, because they already have everything mounted, Windows is their own license, they have the servers, the programs …

The console itself will be the first console that is a PC without limitations and has no complexes to say it, the microsoft gaming pc at the price of a home console. Nor do they need console exclusives to be profitable as they are demonstrating.

So the strategy of bringing Windows Mode is to win, win, win, everywhere …

Steam already allows you to buy the EA access subscription, which is also on other platforms such as PS4 or Xbox One, for example.

However, Steam has stopped producing Steam Controller …

I think that the business model in this digital era of subscriptions is not making money with the subscriptions themselves, but not having customer retention.

That they are using your services instead of the competition, that they are on your platform or operating system as much time as possible.

They can earn income from advertising, from the sale of other services, from the sale of customer data …

I think it has always been the main idea of the XBox concept for Microsoft: take advantage of its Direct X to the fullest to monopolize the largest possible market share by taking advantage of the products and infrastructure that they already own.

I play on PS4 mainly but also have the game on Steam and use my PS4 controllers…

How are they demonstrating this?

Win, win, win everywhere except lose, lose, lose with profits!

Current reality proves it. XBox does not have console exclusives, because it shares them with the PC, this has been the case for many years and I do not see Microsoft worried, nor do I see it changing its strategy, on the contrary, it is increasingly going that way.

The last has been the joint Game Pass for PC and XBoX, and the next will be the backward compatibility that has already been confirmed for the next generation.

If this business strategy were not profitable, why stay and continue along this line? For a company, there is only one answer, because it is profitable for them.

Awesome. From the info out there also is that the new systems are better than a lot of computers we use today. Some of the specs so far seem quite impressive for the price point.

1 Like

Okay, yeah makes total sense!

I wanted to buy an Xbox One this gen but due to not too many exclusives I did not buy one. They missed a sale on the console and they missed a sale on a yearly Xbox Live subscription with that.
I also did not buy anything in their Xbox console store since I don’t have their console.

Now tho I have a capable PC, which I did not have a few years back, I have the cheap GamePass for €1 a month and have played the few Xbox exclusives that I wanted to play anyway without spending several 100 euros on a console, 50/60 a year on Xbox Live and I could not get tempted to buy any games in their Xbox console store of which they get a percentage of every game sold.

Clearly that is a massive win for MS! /s

It also seemed like that to me, but then I assumed that being Microsoft, you can buy enough mass components to lower production costs.

Anyway, we have to wait, I personally hope that they comply with what they announce, as they are doing so far.

As a user I am happy with my Game Pass, I could say that when I am not playing Boundless it is because I am testing some Game Pass game, it is the biggest competitor of Boundless for my free time. xD

1 Like

And yet, Microsoft is part of the 10 largest companies in the world for its market capitalization, and the price of its shares has increased around 400% in the last ten years. In addition, the US company closed fiscal year 2019 with a turnover exceeding 125,000 million dollars, which represents an increase of 15,000 million compared to 2018. :wink:

1 Like

Not sure what any of that has to do with the Xbox division…

But am done with this topic!

Yes, we better leave it here …

<< I guess I don’t understand yet why I think you prefer that Boundless is not available for more public with XBox >> I shrug.

:rofl:

We were discussing if MS will add a ‘Windows Mode’ and if it will allow Steam/Epic stores on the next Xbox where I am of the opinion that they won’t do it since it could possibly mean less profits.

This has nothing to do with me not wanting it nor not wanting more people to have access to Boundless whatsoever…

I don’t know what that rant from other people were about.i guess just don’t discuss Xbox or it specs . I suppose just not answering wasn’t enough…lol​:rofl::v::rofl: