Scrap The Death Penalty For Newbies

I’m sorry, but it’s just the most dispiriting thing to be told that because you died … you’re going to be penalised for it … especially if you are new.

If I could snap the CD over my knee I would have tens of times by now. XD

That those penalties seem to stack is even more frustrating. Frankly it makes me want to walk away from the game.

I understand that at higher levels this is less of a problem, but that makes it a viscious circle (je… eh, I’ll leave that joke) that makes it harder and harder for new or just awful players to get to a level where they’ll actually die less often.

I’ve been told that the XP penalty isn’t anything to worry about … however that doesn’t really get through to my subconscious, because every … single … time … it just keeps happening.

Arrharharhahrharhrhhghghghgh

Anyway, yeah … maybe just … like … from a level (50 … 60?) by which you can have learned about, and have implemented, enough resistance to the things that are killing you (other than ■■■■■■■ lava) then perhaps it’s better to not kick new players whilst they’re down … just perhaps.

Wait … Wait … what’s this fresh ■■■■?

3 Likes

I’m not sure that’s a good idea. Ted Bundy was a newbie once and he deserved the death penalty!

5 Likes

@cagian your comments are absolute gold and I love it!!

3 Likes

Death penalties do not stack, if that is what you are talking about here.

8 Likes

As @Soju-VB said the death penalty does not stack … it does re-set though if you die again which can be somewhat dispiriting if you’re just about to clear it.
In early access you used to lose 25% durability of everything you was carrying which was way worse …especially if you had saved up for some gem tools and then ended up dying a few times.
I learnt to just ignore it (and try to be less reckless) and it soon disappeared just playing the game.

8 Likes

Oh man this is really awesome to hear. I always wondered, but never did the science to check! ty

1 Like

yeah, mapping Umbris Exos i probably die 10 or 15 times :wink: so I just get used to having that death penalty up while I am doing those.

For me I find the death penalty just mildly annoying… it goes away fast enough just doing normal stuff so I mainly just ignore it as @GreyArt247 said. I also came from playing other games with far worse death penalties that would actually subtract experience or even de-level you… so just having my experience reduced for a little while seems pretty mild.

5 Likes

I just ignore it and it goes away. I’m used to dying (mainly grapple errors, fall damage, or simply attacking a cuttle and it lazers me to death) and yes, the only thing i dislike is it just makes me 50m away from death point.

2 Likes

It’s very unfairly punishing IMO, especially for lower level characters

2 Likes

It only makes you gain levels slower. The thing that bugs me is the 50m spawn, not the level loss because it took me a very long time to get to level 50 as i usually gain levels on accident and ont care about death penalty. There are also plenty of ways to get around it. Defeat insurance helix, revive brew, etc. also more of a casual player and i’ve played games with waay worse death penalties. Including:

Permanent destruction of items
LOSING levels instead of just gaining them slower
Death debuffs (like weakness)
forced respawn at a faraway location (50m respawn is generous but im still not satasfied)
GIVING THE PLAYERS THAT KILLED YOU A TROPHY AND LETTING THEM SAY EZ OVER YOUR CORPSE

waay worse penalties.

1 Like

If this is what bothers you the most about it, I never got to a level where I died less often. The only activity where death is frequent is hunting, and skill points can only do so much to prevent death. There’s no vicious cycle here: if you do dangerous activities you die whatever ur level is, and whenever you die you always have the option of using reviver brew or asking a friend to revive you.

8/8 control, 5/5 attributes, and stealth epic is 18 points which you can use for miners/gatherers/crafters etc. if you find dying problematic in non-hunting life. If you hunt on T6 worlds you’ll die no matter what level you are, and you won’t get exp penalty if you go hunting in a group and get revived or drink reviver brew.

Why can’t skill points save you? Well, if you max out health, then fall/speed damage will kill you during hunts, either because of terrain, grappling, or wildstock. If you minimize health to become immune to fall/speed damage, then everything else will kill you. Because of speed damage + normal damage, there is no avoiding death.

In summary, if you are frustrated because you are waiting for the “level where I die less,” that is never coming. Sorry. I am learning to get better at using reviver brew during dangerous situations and that is a habit you can learn too, to avoid death penalty.

2 Likes

at least when youre a lower level the penalty is lower as well.

6 Likes

The game really is only a challenge for new characters, and especially new players, but honestly that’s something I liked about starting out. Once you figure out the death penalty doesn’t stack, though, that just means to me that it’s a great time to take risks I wouldn’t otherwise take. You literally have nothing to lose once that purple box comes up so it’s time to go ham :joy:

1 Like

The consequences of death is what gives you reasons to stay alive.

3 Likes

Not saying the death penalty is trivial but you learn to overlook it xD. Maybe if we remove it then impose it after lvl 20 or something, people find it even more of a burden since they’re not used to it?

Back in the day, we lost durability on every single tool on us when we died. Ah the good old days :joy:

1 Like

I woke up not ready for this :joy:

5 Likes

Problem with this, if you ask a friend to revive you and they don’t get there within a set time limit, the game FORCES you back to the sanctum and makes you EAT the death penalty whether you wanted it or not. That I don’t agree with.

Also, the sound loop that plays from the game when you’re dead is so very aggravating. Is there an option to disable it, and ONLY that sound? (Maybe also the whiny out of energy moans and groans too?)

2 Likes

Absolutely no doubt that the Death Penalty is a punishing, un-needed and player-unfriendly concept.
Death itself is penalty enough.

A better punishment would be to have the Elder at the Sanctum either making lightly fun of the player or speaking like a disappointed-dad.
If you’ve played some Hades recently, you might know Hypnos.

5 Likes

I hate the death penalty debuff with a passion. It may as well be a big middle finger at the bottom of the screen reminding you that you died 20 minutes ago. I do not understand why this mechanic brings some people joy. Why have it in the game at all? (Rhetorical question, of course. I don’t really want answers.)

1 Like

They don’t stack or I would always have the penalty 24/7 :laughing:

4 Likes