Scrap The Death Penalty For Newbies

That sounds more correct, I am testing it now with an alt to be sure.

1 Like

That’s if you’re at level 50 tho keep in mind

1 Like

So, yeah, just … … y’know … when you look at it from the angle that it’s taking any plots away, especially if you’re new … that’s really bloody harsh.

I go with it and dont care because it always could be worse. Also without the death penalty, desth in game would jave no meaning. Might as well not make death a thing at that point.

I too remember the days of losing tool durability on death. That was not fun. Players complaining on current desth penalty have either not known or forgotten the feeling of losing tools just cause you died. A couple tines.

1 Like

No plots are lost or ‘taken away’. It just takes a little longer to earn them.

When you hit level 50 you will have the same number of (possible) plots as any other player reaching level 50. I only say “possible” because it’s possible you could spend those cubits on other items.

5 Likes

But surely your possible plot amount is lessened if you’ve lost the ability to actually get them in the first place, no?

You never lose the ability to get them tho. Some levels just might take longer to get to. Just like some levels will be faster if you’re eating teaching foods

Keep death penalty all around for everyone. No need to provide training wheels for every aspect of the game. Unless everyone wants it to go back to how it was back when, you die and tools loss durability is how I believe it used to be.

So you just keep levelling up indefinitely? That’s brill!

I thought that levelling up was the only way to get cubits, no?

Why does it have to be one way or the other?

Seriously, it really does hurt the desire to play on if you know you’re literally progressing slower.

Speaking as both a newbie and someone that’s terrible at this … the pain is reeaaaaallll … :weary:

Yeah, it keeps going forever. I think I’m still sub 100, but there are some people…

As you go you learn to be careful and get the death penalty less. There has to be a negative aspect applied if you die. Removing from new players experience what will they think when they all the sudden are receiving a death penalty. Having it from day one makes it so people know what it is and chance to get used to it.

1 Like

Even when it’s enough to make you nearly stop playing altogether?

OK … :woman_shrugging:

I mean … there was a 50/50 chance that the devs wouldn’t have got that extra dosh I laid on the DLC because of this rubbish. It seriously feels like a massive penalty.

I’m not suggesting there shouldn’t be penalties … but … come on … I’ve literally never played a game that penalised me this heavily for dying.

If a small death penalty would cause someone not to play a game then sorry to hear that but it’s a reasonable aspect for a survival game. It’s even a small inconvenience compared to several games I’ve played.

(For examples: one I played there’s a death penalty as well you drop your entire inventory and have to make your way back to obtain your items before they disappear. Other games just delete all your stuff on death.)

Boundless definitely takes a more reasonable path for penalizing the player for dieing. It’s not hard to over come either. I’d much rather have this then “what it could be”.

I’ve never came across a survival game that doesn’t have some sort of penalty for dieing.

3 Likes

It doesn’t feel small to a new player.

It didn’t feel small to me … I’m not sure how many other ways I can tell you that.

I literally can’t go back in time to change that.

Let’s agree to disagree on this, Ratchel, maybe leave this / me alone on it, eh?

I’m simply providing my input as well. My last reply was that my view and opinion just as you are doing. I’m replying to you now because you quoted me. No offense was intended. I feel people input is important and this is a public open forum.

No need to reply back.

1 Like

Making things easier doesnt always make it better. Most survival games are harsher, ark for example you gotta go back to your body to pick up your inventory, but its still played. Here we dont lose our inventory. A players overall experience with death penalty in The survival genre will inform them on how they view it.

The way i see it this game isnt a fast burn, its a slow burn. If one is in a hurry yes it (the penalty) will feel bad. If one isnt in a hurry then its not even noticable.

But its good to hear both sides, a good discusion can be had.

4 Likes

I can tell you that if you stick around much you come to a point where it doesn’t matter:

I realize this is to do with familiarity but since a level can be gained in a few minutes, really, IMO (yours may vary) it’s not much, though it does seem like more when you’re new.

There are always things to do, such as crafting a few materials you have laying around or maybe visiting HOST’s portal planet (one time only ofc) to get rid of it if it’s bothering you.

It has another name also, “The Reaper Buff” :rofl:

Hmm I’ve had games that take from your existing XP, take levels off of you, leave you lootable to other players, or just disappear everything you had on you entirely leaving you as a ghost.

If you’ve never been stuck with any of those, I can see how this would seem worse to you than it does to many other players. When I was new I was just happy to not be set back by it. Since I found out it won’t stack I haven’t been bothered by them any more.

5 Likes

I play 7 days to die with the option turned on to where you drop everything in your backpack and toolbelt. Then have to figure out how to get my stuff back when the game respwans me on my bedroll that’s over 300m away. Gaining experience slower than usual doesn’t bother me compared to losing everything on my character and having to figure out a way to get back to my dropped loot without dying.

1 Like

Yea iirc the division will lower your dark zone level if you die. First it takes XP from your progress bar and if you’re at the bottom of it it will send you back a level. Now as for normal levels I don’t remember. It’s a very common practice in rpgs to penalize a player for dying. It’s not even just the survival side

3 Likes