Settlement Fixes

Real world capitals are a combination of number of people, amount of wealth and amount of people visiting. So if they wanted a true to life representation it would be footfall, prestige and number of people building there.

If I was voting i’d be inclined to vote for a friend, not for the best looking settlement. So a pure voting model, would lean toward the most social area, rather than the most built up or even visited area. - Though there would be some correlation of course.

Los Angeles has more people, wealth, and visitors than Sacramento, yet it is not the capital of California. A capital in the real world is defined on many factors. I do not think the developers are shooting for a real world example here because most areas of the game are not defined on real world dynamics.

You would be welcome to vote for a friend. People will vote on whatever they value and want. That is the point of it. This is all about context and people’s opinions and full participation over a set system.

Definitely where Europe differs to America :smiley: this issue I feel.

1 Like

Yeah, i’m sorry about the way a lot of that post came out, i was writing that 6-7 hours after i should have already been asleep, so my points were kind of all over the place and half grumpy. Especially when i think about the Boundless store page thing, despite reading that page more than once, before i wrote that post, i somehow forgot that page existed… whoops.

At this point i’m just going to say we are going to have to agree to disagree… But… i do respect your opinions… and i respect you even more for sticking to them. I really don’t think we are going to change each others stances on the matter.

I just hope that whichever way it may ultimately go, that you and me both still enjoy playing it,

1 Like

It’s all good… I’ve had more than a few posts that sometimes came off not like intended. That is the problem with text only communication. :). Even with the help of emoji! hehe…

Just for the record I wasn’t trying to get you to agree or not with me. It is all a matter of perspective and context. Each model they could choose would work in a certain set of examples and then could be a problem in another set of examples.

I appreciate the comment on respect. I don’t make claims unless I feel I can very clearly explain them and back them up. If I wasn’t sure then I would have framed my responses in a more open question type format. I do respect that you wanted to understand the points over where most people just argue their side.

For me, the devs own the game and ultimately have the choice of what model they want to deploy. Their decision will define how the game is played out and who decides to participate and at what level. The developers are the only ones who know what they have measured success as and are the only ones that can say if they crossed that line. Everyone else just has their view based on their values and whether they like the game or not but cannot say if the game was a true success or not.

There are many things in the game I don’t enjoy and think will cut down on the overall fun factor. Prestige is one of them and hence I don’t participate in trying to get my village (Eden) to Capital status any longer. Some of the economy and footfall dynamics are of concern but I can build everything so money isn’t really required. I also don’t like that there is a lack of larger content or fulfillment but it is a sandbox game so that lends itself to that issue.

There are things I do love about the game so I come back for those. Other people will have their own set of “fun values and needs” and I don’t have a problem with that. If they are at a conflict or the game changes in a way that I don’t like – then I just stop playing. If people don’t see the inherent need to remove that system and increase the fun then I don’t want to force them to change their view. We all are allowed to have our view.

Overall I just want a system that provides participation by as many as people as possible and isn’t behind too many rules or systems or grinding needs and allows people to be creative in their own way and feel fulfilled as they play the game.

2 Likes