Sharp contrast of shadow/lighting after today's update

There’s a change in the my game’s graphic after the update. I have restarted my PC and the problem still exist.

I don’t know how to describe this, but as you can see with the image below, the dark side of the block becomes a sharp contrast to lit blocks.

This also happens to most of the blocks, make it appears cel-shaded.

Under the daylight, however, the conditions is better but it still persist on shadowy area.

Please advice.

1 Like

This looks like Ambient Occlusion. There is a setting for to turn it off if you don’t like it.

I tried to adjust per-pixel lighting, while it has toned down the effect, I’m not satisfied with disabling the option either because the contrast still exist.

Screenshot with Per-Pixel Lighting off.

Most likely they optimized lightning and shades to blocks to reduce the strain it has on render and load times. I think so at least, it makes sense. Might be why it looks different to you.

There’s definitely something odd going on here. Thanks for the screenshots, we’ll take a look.

3 Likes

Thank you T_T I don’t want my home to be unsightly… to me.

@vdragon I’ve also had some weird lighting underground whilst holding a gleam block in one hand. Doesn’t matter which hand, and doesn’t matter what, if anything, is in the other.

2 Likes

I also noticed this underground mining with gleam block.

1 Like

Saaaame. :smile:

Yes there does appear to be a few issues with the lighting in this update.

We’ll investigate and see what has happened.

4 Likes

This is my central area and it looks absolutely horrible and I’m not at all happy about it, they’re all the same cool violet refined sedimentary stone in the middle and they didn’t look like this before. pls nerf shadows

It’s a bug. We’ll get it fixed.

3 Likes

We have this fixed in our development line now. We’ll work on getting it released.

4 Likes

That was fast, nice one!

I have seen the same issue around my house.
Good that it’s already been looked at.
Here are more screenshots:

After today’s update, the graphic fix has been applied and it is looking better.

However, looking afar, the sharp contrast is still visible on blocks. I don’t remember if this exist before the bug. Is this intended?

2 Likes

This is the lighting on the afternoon. I think the contrast only exist when the sun is at certain angle.

2 Likes

More photo, after the afternoon

I can confirm that the shadow artefacts are gone from my builds as well.

I like the higher contrast. The world looked kinda flat when they first introduced the new lighting.

1 Like

That looks pretty good, honestly! But haven’t had a chance to see it in game yet