Shop Owners Polls

Kinda curious to see what the “typical” boundless shop is like. Please satisfy my curiousity :slight_smile: thanks a lot for your time

How many people do you think visit your shops per day?

• 1-3
  • 4-10
  • 11-30
  • 31-100

0 voters

How many shop locations do you actively stock?

• 2-3
  • 4-7
  • 8+

0 voters

How long are you willing to wait to buy/sell an item?

• < 1 hour
  • < 3 hours
  • < 1 day
  • < 1 week
  • < 1 month
  • Indefinitely

0 voters

Assume that if you sell nothing for X time you start to reduce prices. What is X?

• < 1 hour
  • < 3 hours
  • < 1 day
  • < 1 week
  • < 1 month
  • Indefinitely

0 voters

What is your average weekly shop income?

• I lose money
  • <1000c
  • > 1000c
  • > 10000c
  • > 100000c
  • > 1000000c

0 voters

Which of these reasons for running a shop is most important to you?

• Income
  • Bring visitors to the settlement/guild
  • Show off my build
  • Design a cute shop
  • Fulfill someone’s need

0 voters

2 Likes

My drop shop is multi purpose: it’s a good money maker, and it’s good for organising all the things I’ve looted from hunting/gathering/mining. I can dip into the stands and use the stuff, or if it sells I can use the coin to buy it from someone else to use.

I think when we get Planet Brown, Beth and I will have a try at making a little mall. See how that goes :blush:

5 Likes

That’s a bit how I treat my forged items. I gotta sort/label them anyway so I might as well put them in a shop.

There are certainly many purposes a shop serves. If I missed anyone’s shop’s primary purpose please let me know! That was one of the things I am most curious about :D. First time making a poll so forgot to add the option “None of the above”

1 Like

My shop is just because it’s cute and I like to gather on exos so I might as well make some money :3

3 Likes

My original shop was also built to serve as storage organization, figuring “If I’m going to use shop stands to store stuff I might as well make it a shop”.

Hence “Sunken Storage” :rofl:

I have a couple mall shops that have their ups and down but mostly the reason I have shops is to participate, and get some of what I have out to other people so it serves a better purpose than filling up cubes at my place.

Then I stocked up “Whatever” with some basic tools and items I noticed weren’t really available at the time, and it’s actually done a decent bit of turnover, mostly by stocking stuff that’s so low end very few people make it.

Also sorry @Kaplah I got set up last week but haven’t been back at the forge :sweat:

Anyways polls answered accordingly.

1 Like

I wish I could edit polls…or that I had thought to include one of my own shop reasons :x

Thanks for all the responses!

1 Like

Wait, you’re the owner of that sunken storage place on Raxxa?

2 Likes

Yes.

tenchars :rofl:

1 Like

Wow, you’re the inspiration behind my original farm build. I came across Sunken Storage when I was pretty new. This is my farm from a couple months ago.

2 Likes

My shop does about 50k to 100k a day. I constantly farm my resources that I sell and restock daily. Someone who bought 30k of beans or inky leafs in the morning knows to come back because I constantly refill. Also I have 6 hub portals in my shop that helps alot with traffic. Use the forums and the chat channel “trading” to advertise your shop too. Just a few suggestions.

1 Like

Willing to wait indefinitely is certainly interesting

2 Likes

Right? I think you can tell that that was the most surprising answer to me, because I had expected so many lower answers. In the other questions the bins I provided generally provided as much distribution info. as I wanted. But I am wishing for that question I had more options there like < 6 months < year, to see how many of the “Indefinitely” are just people willing to wait more than 1 month.

It’s the biggest surprise to me because I mostly interact with people who price aggressively and have more like < 1 day, < 1 week patience, so I’m affected by some kind of bias.

Some of the refined rock in my shop on Raxxa has sat for more than a year.

As noted earlier in the thread, it’s storage as much as anything. Once you build for a while and have a couple of locations it becomes about not really wanting them to be empty vs. wanting some coin. OFC not needing coin as much feeds into this.

This leads to less aggressive pricing in some cases, and also more of a relaxed attitude about how quickly you can sell your stuff.

There are a lot of different situations but speaking for myself and I know some specific others, indefinitely really means “meh, it could sell, or not, whatever …”

2 Likes

Definitely very true. Many of the food items in my shop, no one will ever buy as it’s much more worth it to buy a different food item. But I like to have every food there just for the sake of the customer knowing that no matter what random food they’re wanting, they know I have it even if other stores usually would think it’s pointless to keep in stock.

2 Likes

I guess I am also wondering now, are there any items that you aggressively price so that you sell something within a shorter time period? What would that shorter time period be?

Assume that if you sell nothing for X time you start to reduce prices. What is X? This is a separate question I’ll add to the poll.

If I’m wondering whether I’m gonna use something or not, I’ll check BUTT and put a higher price up - that way if the items sell, it’s ok and I can just grab more :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Honestly, I think I’ve had the reverse issue where I had to raise a few prices on farming supplies because people love to come by and just buy thousands of seeds and stuff like that, which is a little difficult to keep up with. I’m starting to get shop stands 100% full now like the soil stands, but to keep up with the demand for things like seeds, I’d need a farm like Jiivita’s.

2 Likes

Good point. For you X is the time you’d like your shop stands to stay full so you increase prices. Basically just opposite. In either direction you’re trying to hit a target X (or maybe you decide not to for non-economic reasons)

All my shops are basically storage places. Like @Nightstar said. Bricks r us and refined Bob’s all storage. If someone buys it I’m happy but not needed.

1 Like

At the same time you have set prices that I guess happen to be low enough that you get purchases within a smaller time interval although it isn’t your primary goal?