Shop Scanners on shops behind closed doors?

I do it on my own shops already…if u want make your shops inaccessible to newbs that’s your choice. And kinda pointless. A shop in who evers best interest is to sell stuff or why open it.so isn’t it best to be reachable easily.

The whole “on foot” thing seems to be a recent social push.

If you can throw down some foliage blocks or grapple up to a shop it doesn’t seem malicious to me that lots of people build up in the air.

Same for underground tbh, lots of people build deep. It’s inconvenient and it costs you business but hey, if you’re powering a portal and advertising and whatnot and you want to discard random scanner business I guess that’s your option.

If you’re running a locked door shop or trying to do something that’s guild-access only it seems polite to shut off discoverability.

As to whether or not the devs are going to block you off the scanner it should be pretty obvious if you’ve wrapped a stand in signs or built in such a way that it’s intentionally zero access.

2 Likes

If this is true, I DO believe you should report it.

I think we need to look at the intent of the rule that a shopstand has to be reachable. I believe the Dev’s simply mean to disallow “Malicious” intent. To claim they need access by foot means, if you wanted to build a cool spaceship or balloon, or floating island, you are not allowed to put a shop stand on it. Period.
I also believe portals are the lifeblood of this game and access through a portal should be considered the same as “by foot”.

Finally, We have planets with different levels of atmosphere protection which make it almost impossible for new players to navigate. The dev’s input these mechanics to encourage progression and whatever else, but it shows they are not catering to the “EVERY PLAYER should have the ability to do everything” mentality.

I have spoken.

Just keep walking then! Lol.

And not all shops have portals, I’ve been into shop hubs and after trying 15+ portals I never to the shop I’m looking for.

So I doubt it will hurt portals for shops.

The OP was in regards to shop stands that were made available to guild members only, behind locked doors. The issue is an easy fix by turning off shop stand discoverability.

I don’t think that players that build malls/shops up in the air, out over/under water, or underground are being malicious.

I think the benefits of the shop scanner far outweigh the hiccups.

The shop scanner allows players to find any active shop stand - including ones that were usually only accessible via portals. The more access you can provide to your shop, the more sales you can make.

If you have a shop on a T1 or T2 planet that would be difficult for new players or new alts to reach, it would be thoughtful of you to provide some way for those players to reach you. Maybe just a single plot on the surface, with a sign that gives them directions to the hub/portal/road that they can use to access your shop :woman_shrugging:

:thinking: In the future, perhaps they could allow a tag line so that players can say where their access portal/hubs are or give a short description?

5 Likes

(my opinion: not official) it must be reasonably possible to reach and interact with an advertised plinth using only in-game data/knowledge.

obvious cases: plinth buried behind a wall so that you absolutely cannot interact with it, or miles high in the sky with no way of possibly reaching it, or you can reach it, but only if you first build a 200 block-high tower on the edge of the plot so that you can then sprint, jump, and “just” manage to grapple it to interact with it, but only if you have an extra-long forged gem grapple <- obvious cases for being blacklisted

still obvious cases: plinth that is locked so only your friends or guild can access it, should not be publicly advertised as is misleading to anyone not on your friends list or in your guild; this is a public advertisement, if you want to advertise to your friends or guild members, do it elsewhere.

less obvious cases: plinth that is buried in an underground lair reachable only by a portal from another world or distant location <-- is it reasonable to find this plinth? I don’t think so… it requires the player to have knowledge of where they need to go (not described, not something they can track on the compass, not something they can do without other extra knowledge not provided in-game) to be able then get to the portal that goes to your plinth. <-- to me, very much a case of “should not be advertised publicly”. Even if you could “tag” your plinth and say “in so-and-so mall” it wouldnt help anyone that doesnt know where that mall is; its not like their is a “malls directory” in-game that they would be able to use to find it.

not trivial, but reasonable to me case: plinths in an underground lair, or high up in the sky reachable via a long staircase (advertised with a nice sign or otherwise kinda obvious as a way to get up to the sky/down into the lair) or in a big castle with a front gate that is nearby that you can explore a little and find it easily to then get to the plinth. <-- fine. if your castle is 1000m long and the entrance (only one) is on the other side… not reasonable.

still reasonable: no foot access, but a clearly visible portal leading up to your base etc from the ground that gets you access to the plinths if the only knowledge you have is the location on the compass from the shopping tabs. <-- fine. eg above your lair (almost directly) is a nice gated portal with a sign saying “shop here for blinths below!” then I would say its reaosnable to expect someone without any knowledge to guess they can use that portal to get to the plinths below that is being tracked on the compass.

11 Likes

Totally agree - as it’s quite vague. I was thinking more along the lines as
“Johnny’s Pies & Brews To-Go”
portal in PS Biitula hub

(although, this might also be too vague for a newer person or someone not familiar with that hub)

We’re talking about shop stands that are behind closed doors.

I am curious (really don’t know) if every land mass on every planet with lava on the surface is reachable from every other land mass on the planet “on foot”. If “reachable on foot for a new player” is the guidelines to go by, then planets with lava on the surface could be an issue.

2 Likes

But It wont work if warping is blocked on the beacon

Why would you block warping on a beacon you’re trying to sell stuff from?

Same reason people hide their shops inside malls from the scanner

Ok, seems like 2 different things but I’ll bite:

Then why would you go to the trouble of building a mall shop, then hide it from the scanner? That would also be an identical reason for blocking warping from a shop, but not necessarily hiding it from the scanner… ?

When you made the reference to blocking warping it was in response to a comment about using the scanner to warp to a shop so please enlighten me, o mysterious one.

Why would someone do this? Not cool. If I find one, I will definitely report it.
(you are talking about hiding stands to troll people, not hiding stands via turning off discoverability…right?)

I can come up with non-malicious reasons to do this. I don’t think he means hiding the stands, just making them unscannable.

Since they’re in the mall this leaves some discoverability for avid shoppers and/or friends who know where to look for the deal vs. making them bait for the people that spend their time flipping items between stands and baskets.

The original comment appeared to be about making a scannable shop stand harder to reach and I was mainly asking if there was a non-malicious reason for this.

Now I’m definitely curious about a single motivation (i.e. same reason) for both making a scannable shop unreachable AND making a reachable shop unscannable.

scannable shop unreachable = possible troll (possibly accidental - notify devs & let them decide if action is needed)
reachable shop unscannable = giveaways, display items, & good deals for loyal customers

4 Likes

Agreed. Still hoping for some explanation from @Cuetzpalomitl but not really expecting it lol.

1 Like

Plus you are assuming everyone knows ps hub… to my surprise I have actually ran into people that havnt seen the ps hub… Yes shocking

1 Like

It’s just an example & I’m not assuming anything. I’m not going to list all the hubs.

1 Like

If my shop was only accessible threw jumping platforms or grapple is that ok

1 Like