Shops in general and the economy- edited: new train of thought

Can literally drop the mic now. I totally agree. Especially the diff coin amounts. That whole paragraph could be implemented and only help.

I agree as well. The only thing I would say is that this only works if " when the player base calls out for easier resources" the dev’s maintain a resource balance.

A recent example is the new blocks. They require significant resource in the form on the super enriched bonding agent. The first thing tht came up was reducing the material cost to produce the blocks. If the dev’s appease the player base an item sink is lost.

I still think a true consumer role would relieve some of the supply of raw materials. Builders could fill some of that roll but that is centered on a limited subset of items.

Edit: Auto correct on cellphones makes me sad.

The way to guarantee coin rewards for your chosen activity, and still keep the loot aspect and not switch to pure coin rewards, is a guaranteed place that buys your unwanted items so you can get the items you actually want. You know, trading.

An intergalactic trading station where the spacefaring megacorps would give you ridiculously low prices, but practically unlimited demand? People could then go out and buy what they want from players that want a better price for their items, or set up request baskets to get even better prices than shops are selling for, while giving the seller that’s looking for a faster way to sell, a better deal at the same time. The prices could also be dynamic depending on supply/demand. Think 5x lower than the current player prices

You’re a gatherer and want an amethyst. If you can gather 150 fibrous leaves on your surface gathering character and get 150c, faster than you would find an amethyst with your low skills and an iron hammer, you’d probably go and gather the leaves. A miner with a 3x3 diamond hammer on the other hand would find 5 amethyst faster than they’d slog around looking for 150 fibrous leaves. The problem right now is that you might not be able to find a buyer for your amethyst of leaves, since there’s no guaranteed fast income from your activities atm.

This could also be remedied a bit by making it easier to find the player’s shop that can buy your product. Why don’t empty request baskets show visually that they’re out of funds? Remove the cloth or change the colour of those baskets for example. Maybe from shop stands too that aren’t selling anything.

Deflation is real, and it’s not a good thing for economy. We need more coin to bring it back alive.

It’s a sad thing but fortunately Boundless is playable without a working economy. All we can hope for is devs read up on in game economies in general and then do what they see fit for the game.

In my opinion this game is a lot better without focusing on coin. Coin is the least important part of the game to me. Footfall, shops, request baskets, damn all of it. Once i stopped caring about trying to manage shop prices, finding request baskets, and just farmed my own stuff the game got 10x better. The hardest thing to gather is surface resources like beans. Everything else, make a forged item for what you need and go crazy for 10-30 mins and you have what you need and additional resources for other items.

Thats what i believe this game originally intended, or at least makes the most sense to me. Coin is just a way to skip farming something. Until we have a way to consistently make coin like quests 90% of us will be better just ignoring coin altogether. Except for the fact guilds just introduced a NEED for coin if you want the buffs, which i also believe should be changed to simply endeavor as the cost for buffs.

1 Like

So back to number 7. :+1: