Show of hands, who "likes" the death penalty?

So who all likes the death penalty in this game? Not “tolerates” it, not “thinks it’s ok…”

There are people dying due to lag and glitches at the moment such as fall damage from not falling who are being unfairly punished for playing the game. The death penalty contributes nothing meaningful to gameplay other than “gee, I hope I don’t die.”

My suggestion would be to change it to something like a 5 minute debuff that can be avoided with a skill named “Rise of the Phoenix” or something.

I don’t actually hate the death penalty, I’m in the group who tolerates it but the game would be much more fun without it.

5 Likes

Cant say I like it, just don’t bother me much.

2 Likes

Actually this way death is not something I just shrug off and go on. Scratch that, I still don’t care much but at least take a token effort to prevent it.

The only caviot is instead of death debuff I would really like to have survival buff :wink:

3 Likes

Dislike it. Dislike it much, much more when it’s not me being an idiot in battle that causes it but falling a few blocks or getting bumped by lag into lava. IMO until the server and unprompted damage issues are fixed it should be suspended.

1 Like

No one like it, but its better then what we had pre 1.0 if you died you lost item durability… unless you had certain skills unlocked.

7 Likes

It’s one of the few things stopping people from brute forcing meteors (aside from the spawn distance but i can usually find the active meteor quickly)

There needs to be some form of penalty. Either item durability or this. I know which I prefer.

3 Likes

Seems its doing its job then???

7 Likes

Well the other option of each death causing 25% tool reduction in all inventory items was worse. So while I don’t enjoy dying either I think we need to look at this realistically… you fall into lava or too far and you should die.

1. The Lag will go away at some point as they tweak their servers.
  2. Maybe the “fall damage” needs to adjusted and balanced better. I do agree that it is a bit too aggressive on damage for a few blocks. I killed myself once by trying to remove a smaller tree and not paying attention to my health…
  3. The penalty should maybe be looked at a lowered a tiny bit based on what the average return time is on XP gain for the different professions. For me, though, I seem to get through the penalty in a decent amount of time and it doesn’t take forever… I am level 40 so I’m not sure at 50 what it might be like.

One option that was passed around was that after a few hours or real time the penalty would disappear. So like stop playing the game for 6 hours or whatever and when you come back it was gone.

8 Likes

its fine the way it is

11 Likes

I really dislike it. As a result, I try to avoid dying. Sometimes I fail to avoid dying (lag often bedevils me: IRL I live in a log cabin in the wilderness with quaint internet). So it goes. I hold down the right mouse button and try harder next time.

I imagine it’s tougher on people who expect a gold star just for showing up.

8 Likes

From what I’ve heard the penalty is insane after lvl 50, like 40k exp or something. That’s just too bitter and spiteful for my pallet… while I tolerate it where I am, it’s probably gonna cause me to ragequit and never look back down the road =(

That’s what happened with Everquest. Died, lost hours of work. Died again trying to get my body, lost several more hours of work, rinse and repeat. Finally got all my bodies back, couldn’t get anybody to resurrect me to clear my death penalty, said forget this game and deleted it.

Seems like everybody for the most part :heart:️ death penalty so I guess it’s a dead topic now.

So here is a question:

Are you playing the game to only level? Or are you playing the game because you enjoy it?

If you are playing the game because you enjoy it then XP is a non issue and it should not be focused on. So if it takes you another 2 hours to get a new level then it shouldn’t matter.

If you are playing the game because you want to level then I can see you don’t like the option.

This game is much more enjoyable if people stop trying to be the top of the list, or get to the end game, or do the million other things to be the BEST at it or whatever. Just enjoy the pretty landscape, build some, and find ways to not put yourself in full danger. Then you die less and have less frustration.

7 Likes

I dislike the death penalty so I try to avoid death. Thus the death penalty is working as intended as I am trying to avoid it. Keep it like it is. Remember… Death is only the beginning.

13 Likes

Actually this is wrong laps of logic. If your playstyle is goal oriented and he need levels to achieve such goal, 40k xp less is a problem.

2 Likes

To be fair, you shouldn’t “like” a penalty lol with that said, it’s better than it was before, and I feel that it’s almost…ALMOST fair. I tend to agree with the people who would prefer a “survival buff”, but it’s much the same for me. I think it’s a little too punishing at the moment, but these things should be addressed in time. The random fall damage is a known issue, and the devs are looking into it. I just think a lot of people are having a hard time being patient through the adjustment. Hang in there, and I guarantee it’ll be worth it!

2 Likes

I have mixed feeling about it.

I like the fact we fear death.
But the consequences feel out of place in some situations.

If I provoke an epic monster solo, yes I should take max sentence.
If a random rubberbanding throw me off my beacon’s wall on a T1 planet. My crafter would take days to recover from it. That’s insane.

It’s bad for long term casual player too. We just started, I expect a much lower population as the game become a place where only a bunch of hardcore players remain.

2 Likes

only 20k :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Logic and play style are not mutually exclusive. Being goal oriented has nothing related to time unless you put a time limit on it. So if your XP numbers are slower it might extend out the time to achieve your goals but it does not stop you from achieving them.

IF you are so focused on time then you will probably have some issues.

Ultimately there are not many things you cannot do in a pretty decent fashion early in the game. So XP isn’t really critical path to many things in the game. Yes it matters your level but people can still play decently even if it is a bit slower due to death.

Also honestly, if a person is dying over and over and over then they really should look at their play style and adjust that instead of blaming the death penalty as the problem. I am not saying you are saying that.

Until I have a way to do the things I want to do in game which require skills, I need to level. The death penalty while I am grinding away in the doldrums of the level 30-40’s is too harsh. Am I avoiding things yes. I avoid exploring higher tier planets and looking at the landscape, why take the risk? I avoid hunting, why take the risk? So I am avoiding entire areas of the game so I do not have to spend hours digging myself out of an xp hole. I am dying a lot less, but certainly not enjoying the game as much since I am not engaging in activities I would have otherwise. And when I do die, sometimes I do log out and go play something else.

I am ok with a death penalty. I will grumble about it to myself but I will be ok. I just think the xp penalty should be decreased to 5% at the most.

Edit:

Some people are focused on time. They may be the casual player than cannot play 3 hours a day and it can take them days to get out of the XP hole to advance normally in game.

I will question this depending on the role they have taken on. If they are a hunter then they are exposed to risk, mining on a higher tier planet carries a lot of the same risks (mobs and such). Again people can avoid entire portion of the a game to avoid the death penalty but is that what the developers are trying to encourage? Don’t explore higher tier planets even as a high level player or hunt because it will stall your advancement by hours?

4 Likes

It’s both for most people, isn’t it? You play to progress and to enjoy it. For me it’s the miserable road ahead - the way it’s presented and interpreted.

I understand I’m a particular type of person and it’s not the same for everyone but it really is a miserable thing having a penalty on you, clearly marked on the screen in bright colours, reminding you of how many more thousands of 1 xp trunks you’ll be chopping before you’re earning that oh-so-delicious 2 xp per trunk again.

5 Likes