Show of hands, who "likes" the death penalty?

I see.

At lower levels you will not have access to the same specs as on lvl50. So its harder to get high xp rates, but you also get a less steep punishment for dying. Maybe there is some balancing needed on that end I don’t know. I never cared much for leveling because I just play the game and xp just comes with playing.

Respecing just for the death-penalty seems a bit much. I use the same spec for mining, hunting, gathering and building. I only rarely switch some epics around if I really need an edge and did the same at lower levels.

I think it’s mostly a goal question. If your prime objective is XP, hunting is probably not the way to go. Mine/craft till 50 and respec with one of the 3 free respecs. If XP is not you prime objective, well playing even 30minutes longer to reach a side goal( the next level ) shouldn’t really matter that much in my opinion.

But hey, we all play it differently. :slight_smile:

95% my death is in total terrible lag spikes .death penalty for bad servers and laging game and bugs is really fair hahahah

2 Likes

I also think it’s about goals, but not in the same way. I think I people should be able to have the goal of playing an [insert playstyle here] and being able to have roughly the same amount of time recouping your losses as other playstyles. If there is one or two playstyles which can shrug it off and some other that it hits particularly hard, then there there is a problem somewhere, whether that be in how much penalty is applied given the scenario it happened in, or in how much XP each playstyle can make in a certain period of time.

As a not-at-all thought through example, maybe there should be less of a death penalty for dying when you’re not recently been in combat (Yes, I’m sure there are reasons why that might not be appropriate either, but you get the idea).

Kind of depends on what you insert, it has been stated here and in other threads that some game-supported roles earn more or less experience and that might need to be addressed but you need to limit it to a set of known roles. Else I could for instance decide that I like to be a town crier (if you’re inte rpg) and then complain that I don’t get enough XP…

Not sure though which roles have an issue right know except for maybe a pure gatherer (not mining minerals) and forge master. All other roles I have tried have decent ways of earning XP while fulfilling their role.

2 Likes

was about to write something similar but with sightseeing as an example :slight_smile:

I think a timer would remedy this.
If the Debuff lasted lets say 30-60 minutes maximum, you can either power through it or take a break. So low exp rates wouldn’t get punished as much. And higher rates could just go for it.

Actually, you don’t really have to account for that type of role, the penalty is towards gaining XP and a role like that isn’t earning any so you are not progressing towards a new level regardless of if you got the penalty or not.

@Ynnoz

In a game where where I can die from lava, creatures, weather, falling from a cliff, use grapple in a wrong way, get hit by a meteor, drown - die outside my safe area - I die in my HOUSE, in my safe haven… I get 500 damage falling from 3 blocks, die while building a roof because some chiseled blocks give me momentum and I bounce of the edge. As a builder I don’t get as much exp as other professions and I have this death penalty at all times because random deaths happen so often.

On higher levels you have a chance to get more exp but as I said, not when you’re a builder. I don’t think it’s fair. Death debuff should atleast decay over time.

3 Likes

I get that. What about the fall damage reduction skill ?
Seems to me a builders choice.

And +1 on the decay over time helping low xp rate Professions.

Actually in my experience building is one of the better ones depening on what materials used and how much you chisel. My main character has gained a fair number of levels while building my little hideaway. Sure bomb mining is even better but not by an insane amount.

I’m kinda curious though, do you have to do something special to die from a 3 block fall? I usually fall way further than that and I don’t think I ever died from a fall when I was at max health.

2 Likes

Now that interesting. I have very tricky staircase going up few plots (3 i think) and I’m usually surviving drop from it if i’m not at the top.

Just to chime in.

I like the death penalty the way it is. The only change would be that instead of it being a ‘death penalty’ , we always got 50% exp and received a buff as we earned exp that eventually capped giving us 100% that we lost when we died. It would just be the reverse but it might improve people perception.

I have never had a death penalty for more then an hour at 40+ so not really worried about it.

4 Likes

Actually I had proposed in a different topic about death penalties that they should keep the system exactly the same and just change the labeling to say ‘survival bonus’ instead of ‘death penalty’.

The way that would work would be to have the base, normal experience awarded by everything cut by 50% (as if the penalty was in effect) and then boost it to the current ‘without penalty’ values with a survival buff, that like you said would be earned by the same conditions as the ones currently in place to remove the death penalty.

People are silly, and in the current implementation that results in people being either ‘neutral’ (no death penalty) or unhappy (death penalty) because the system is telling them that it’s a penalty.

With a survival buff (but no mechanical changes at all other than labeling) people would feel either neutral (no survival buff) or happy (survival buff). :stuck_out_tongue:

And of course, the related epic would reflect this by changing its text to say something like ‘get the survival buff faster’ instead of ‘reduce the death penalty’.

So, in essence, it’s perfectly possible to change the mood of the entire community (or at least the ones that dislike being told that they have a penalty) about this issue by simply changing how things are called, without touching the balance or changing the rate of earning experience at all. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s better then wasting skill points on durability skills.

2 Likes

I literally laughed out loud at this. :joy::joy:

4 Likes

That’s exactly what they did with the “rested mechanic” in the early days off WoW.

Prior to the change you had a tired “debuff” all the time for not being rested and it would only go away from staying in an Inn or being logged off.
Everybody hated that mechanic.
They removed the “debuff” label and called the “un-debuffed” state the rested State, labeling it a buff.

The mechanic is still the same, only the labeling changed and everybody loved it.

2 Likes

Really no one should ‘like’ a penalty, if you did it would not be a penalty :thinking:

1 Like

I think what most people are annoyed with isn’t the fact that its slowing xp in take its 2 things.

1. It annoying to have a tag on your that says you died. And, the tag seems to stay forever and more; even though it doesn’t, but it just feel that way.
  2. That thing just sits there sucking up xp.

I wonder why the devs didn’t just straight up subtracted the xp if there was enough available, and if there isn’t enough then you go into xp debt.

The buff specifically prevents multiple deaths from being as punishing.

If they took exp each time you died then you could die a few times in a row and nearly loose a level.

The buff balances:

1. less punitive for multiple deaths in a short period
  2. still allows progress (slower exp gain)
  3. doesn’t take away progress you have made (doesn’t remove exp)
  4. feels like death is something to avoid

I think they did a pretty good balancing those with this system (personally)

5 Likes

Yeah that.

What they didn’t manage imho that well is psychology - I think i can safely say based on this thread.

Basically this is penalty and people hate penalties.
They could easily make it into a reward (as already suggested with survival trait) and this would have exactly the same effect with exception of bitter remarks here cause people like rewards.
They do hate loosing them but then discussion would probably go how to not lose the reward, not how to remove the penalty.

1 Like

Hmm but on the suggestion thread, where everyone weighted the issue…death penalty was not even in the top 5.

I think a few people don’t like it…but the player base seems okay with it…I don’t think it needs to be ‘fixed’ , I would much rather have plants I can grow :smiley: hehe

3 Likes