❓ Since the Boundless Code of Conduct will get a makeover soon

What type of things are allowed and what is not.
Its really unclear what you can actually do In this game and what not.

Example scripts. Macros etc.

4 Likes

I think shop stands and beacons will continue to require hands-on moderation by a dev, etc. There are instances where something is wrong, but the player didn’t have malicious intentions. For example: One reported beacon/shop was underground with no access. It wasn’t malicious because they did have portals, but they ran out of fuel. The solution was to manually turn discovery off for that beacon.

4 Likes

I really like the Guild Wars 2 policy pages. They give very specific information on what is and isn’t allowed. This prevents people twisting semantics to argue for a certain POV that may or may not have been what was actually intended.

I’m personally hoping that the new TOS will cut back on how much people can use it to attack other people for not playing the exact way they think they ought to. There is an awful lot of bickering over who plotted where and who made what sort of farm and whether it is too easy to use or not, whether certain types of gameplay ought to be allowed, etc. Figuring out how to deal with other people in game is part of an MMO, and sicking the devs on everyone you don’t like is not a particularly healthy way of dealing with things. It also seems to result in whoever is the most dedicated to whining on the forums getting their way on everything.

6 Likes

I believe mainly its cause the game has player driven economy and the fact that you have unlimited amount of plot space.

If you find out a way To gain exp fast and easy - - > you can buy plots - - > you can literally plot the whole planet if you want.
I know many People are not this way but theres always People Who abuse methods To their advantage.

1 Like

In that case, the abuse would be plotting the whole planet, not whatever people are assuming will lead to plotting the whole planet. Banning people from huge swaths of potential non-abusive gameplay out of fear of a completely unrelated abuse of gameplay is not a good solution to the problem.

3 Likes

Why is plotting the whole planet abuse?
Its not restricted. If you do it according the rules you are free To plot whatever.

Heres prime examples of some People Who have plotted like 3k plots “just cause i Maybe wanna build something”

3 Likes

I didn’t say plotting a whole planet was abuse, you did. How is using game mechanics in a creative way abuse? This is what I mean. People want to stop other people from doing things they don’t want them doing. Right now they do so by claiming it is against the rules even when the TOS doesn’t actually say it is. Specific rules would help to address this issue. I would like to see explicit definitions of where the lines are and are not. I would also prefer that the developers decide what is reasonable and what is unreasonable instead of the squeakiest wheels on the forums.

2 Likes

This is literally what you just wrote

Blockquote

Yes…in response to what you wrote. As far as I’m concerned, if the game lets you plot a whole planet then plotting a whole planet is not abuse.

2 Likes

My whole thoughts on people plotting huge areas is in direct violation to Code of Conduct…

Griefing and Abuse
The golden rule in Boundless is: Be considerate.

How is plotting all that area being considerate to new players looking for a place to build a home when there are thousands of plots they have to traverse across or can’t put a campfire down after mining because its plotted over 1000 plots. If you want to plot that much then I feel you should get a Sovereign so everyone else can enjoy traversing the universe being able to hunt, mine or gather resources easily.

1 Like

I think both made mistakes.
Thats it.
I was replying on quimbys post earlier.

Thats the thing… There should be some sort of guideline For it… Not just “hey dont be a jerk… But you can if you want”.

You can easily maneuver this thing around by posting few project pics from google image To back your plotting up so it seems “legit”.
The fact that theres alrdy People Who have literally plotted 3k plots just cause they can is showing that you can do whatever you want and call it a national Park Or whatever.

1 Like

True it is vague but at the same time I think they did that so they aren’t listing over 1 million things NOT to do which NO ONE will ever read. I would even bet most never read the ToS now lol

The tos should be like that…
Its really unclear When tos says “use your common sense” type of thing.
Some People think different than others.
So are they wrong? No
Are they right? I dont know.
Cause you have to see the view devs are using not just “ok do whatever you want if we dont like it its game over”.

1 Like

I definitely agree with you because when I read the ToS & CoC I was like well dang. I paid for this game and if I did something they didn’t like or line up with their views how the game should be played I could be banned from playing with no explanation. I think that’s why a lot of people play Minecraft because they bought the game and can do what they want on it. Probably another reason people wanted this update for local universe. With the community the way it is, local universe just makes sense. A lot cheaper than having to pay for a Sovereign for peace.

1 Like

The Terms of Service and the Code of Conduct are two different documents. Here and elsewhere I see people using these terms interchangeably.

One is (supposed to be) a set of hard requirements for access to the game and it’s services, the other is (currently) a fairly loose set of guildelines for behavior while using them.

With regards to the Terms of Service - hopefully there will be some amnesty if they decide to start analyzing and addressing ToS violations however this thread is about the Code of Conduct.

In support of my earlier point regarding the state of the document. Other than one section the existing document really lumps together community activities - forum, websites, etc… - with in game activities.

We as a community are often able to come up with links to other things that have been mentioned on the forums or on discord or sometimes even elsewhere but never really added to the document. It was posted before compactness, before reservations, before guilds, before the shop scanner, and before the player base had matured to the current extent in recognizing practices that are undesirable.

Religious symbols are mentioned in the thread and have sometimes been problematic but were never edited into the document.

Regarding plotting practices, they spent literally years implementing plotting controls - If they wanted a blanket limit on the overall size of a beacon I’m sure they could have put one in place. If Monumental sees this as a potential problem, then it’s a fair point.

However the current document does not contain any statement regarding abuse of the reservation system, or plotting to create compactness violations.

The aforementioned “digging out the ground under a players beacon” is listed with building walls and ‘placing blocks over another player’s beacon’ (??) I don’t think it’s meant to address mining under plotted land or trying to bump warp into a locked shop, but instead is about denying access to or free movement around another players beacon.

While blocking expansion is listed, it’s actually not stated anywhere that attempting to deny access to another player’s beacon is against the rules :man_shrugging:

Regarding the shop scanner there is no mention of it at all. You can do whatever you like with your shop stands, as far as I know, as long as they’re not discoverable. The code of conduct should state this specifically.

With the in-game and third party tools in place, there should be an entire section on shop stands. It should address hiding discoverable shop stands as well as other exploits such as putting a low price stand directly under a high priced stand so that players are led to pay a different price from what is listed on the scanner.

To some extent, explicitly abusive plotting practices will always be a matter for manual intervention. Some people are very protective of their borders and others are out asking people to come build with them. Though they’re not always happy with the results in terms of losing sovereignty or naming rights :rofl:

Ugh I hope this is not ever again the primary channel for releasing information about the game or the developers’ intentions.

There does definitely need to be some clarity around macros, bots, and unattended game play. Some software/hardware assist is taken as basically necessary for extended gameplay, but somewhere there’s a line where it becomes botting and is undesirable. Is this completely addressed by a ban on unattended play or are there certain types of automation that should never be used?

Also with some questions here and elsewhere you get into a gray area of building to facilitate external automation. Is there some point at which the ease of automating the use of certain types of construct makes them undesirable in the game at all?

There’s been a recent implication that multi-boxing is considered a form of AFK play and is thus a ‘rule’ violation. But the original rule on macros/botting isn’t published anywhere other than a single, deeply buried and brief statement in a single thread from a former developer. Even then it’s confusing as it’s a statement that it’s ok but only under certain conditions.

So the situation is the same regarding multi-boxing which is a major, prevalent activity that some seem to feel the economy depends on. However the only guideline we have on this seems to be a picture of a PM or discord message implying that it’s subject to the guidelines we try to piece together from various statements on unattended gameplay vs software/hardware assistance with quality of life issues.

I guess where necessary the final document could even include some definition of relevant terms. People have definitely gone to some pretty great lengths to try and semantically justify their actions, as well.

sigh

2 Likes

please, plotting massive part of planet was where we only had perma worlds ans someone plotted part of Finata blocking others and do nothing on plotting land, now you have hundreds of sov world you casn build there, if someone got enough plots to plot whole finata or biitula? have fun i have tons of sov world i can build there, try to plot someone sov? you will be force babnned, force reclaimed, beacon removed :smiley:

1 Like

There is a difference… Sovereigns are paid planets.
If you pay 40€ For this game.
Then you are “forced” To buy sovereign.

are you aware of exactly how many plots would be needed to do such a thing?
I’ve got between my wife and i playing for 4+ Years a total of 10k plots down on a perma planet and it doesn’t even begin to cover the planet. There is more than enough space even on just the perma worlds available for the entire community to exist and live together, if we wouldn’t all bicker.

my two cents on everything is that there does need to be a clearer definition of what this dev team is going to consider being issues to the game: I’d love that definition to actually fit what the game actually is though which is an immensely casual MMO. The work people have put into the economy of the game is much appreciated- i don’t care how people obtained things in game as long as they haven’t hacked the game to give them those rewards independent of any effort.

8 Likes

331776 plot columns on a 4.5km world (public planet) :crazy_face:

It’s unlikely to ever happen.

4 Likes