Skill Balance

Just another voice to the suggestions pool, sure it has been said before, but figured i would start to add a few more bits to the forum as been paying a fair bit.

Having gotten all my 3 alts to level 50 a while ago, i have been tweaking and playing with skills a fair bit, especially with the resets since the last update. From this i have developed a Hunter, Gatherer, and a Crafter, my first thoughts were that we had four characters per account so i was also going to make a Builder, but as this was not the case i have for a while now been switching things about to try and fit this to other of my characters. At this point, even after using the skills reset i have yet to find a way to efficiently balance my different characters to incorporate this.

For example, my hunter is obviously not really built for building in any way, i have a slight tank but am yet to play with rage or focus. Then with my miner, which could be ideal for also building, due to the fact that the chisel skill is lumped with the tool skills, i am unable to reach a point where i can have all the desired tool skills, along with the chisel, as it uses so many points. I currently have it with my crafter, who is unfortunately slow with other things, which just means switching when building large areas which need chiseling, which is i guess not such an issue.

Perhaps another char, or ability tio pay for more in the future? i guess the whole skill tress is still a working progress.

As far as the current update, all seems good to have more items and blocks to use and gather, Shimmering orbs still seem fairly illusive even when grappling around caves with an atlas.

If you say so… :wink:
Edit: neeeeeeeeevermind, it doesn’t work anymore

1 Like

I got three characters too, not all max but I can do everything exceptually well.

1)gatherer/builder.
2) level 48 hunter-healer
3) level 37 crafter with every crafting recipe.

A 4th character wouldn’t fix any issues, I think every character might need slight increase in skill points to create best in slot for specific roles. I find it to be fine not having enough skills to do every, but I don’t have enough skills for certain roles.

Disclaimer: my characters are still not max so I might change my point of view once I level my hunter and crafter. But the builder/gatherer could not be better.

2 Likes

I talked to james earlier today about some ideas they had to address alts, skills, and specialized characters. Nothing ironed out enough to really divulge details, but I they are working on a novel way to address these concerns that I think will make a lot of people happy :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Softcap characters. Level 50+ each level you get a skill point or two. Softcap is best solution IMO. It would satisfy people who want 1 character and give purpose to play it. People who are trying to get their things done can just make alts. Right?

1 Like

Nice, will see what happens in the future, thanks for the replies. :slight_smile:

For the gatherer/ builder do you have max an all tools? including grapple?

No, grappler mastery is weird. As far as I see and tested it doesn’t make much of a difference. My Ruby grappler still works like a charm.

But I got the rest:
Hammer
Shovel
Axe
Chisel
:blush:

1 Like

Thats good to know, ill switch them over :slight_smile:

I can post screenshots of my character sheet if you want and we can compare.

1 Like

I made a solo-player skill spread that can tackle any aspect of Boundless with high efficiency without relying on alts. You should give it a look! It manages this by relying on in-game crutches to prop up weaker areas like using shielding food for defence and utilizing Portal Seeker’s convenient public network for navigation. I have solo’d lvl 3 meteors in combat and resource gather with max proficiency using this build. It serves me well as a builder too.

5 Likes

Would be good to see :wink: found removing the grapple skills has helped, need to level more to sort fully though (cleanse points).

2 Likes