Skill sets and alts

I really like the idea of having one character do everything and with skill sets we were finally given just that(thank you btw) only issue is that is not really on par with having alts… people can get 10 alts and get enough points on each to do it all in a matter of hours, yet you have to wait until level 50 before skill sets are useful.
So I had an idea, why not be able to level the currently active skill set separately? It would make skill sets useful at lower levels. Was this by design? I think it should be on par with alts. Love to hear what everyone else thinks of this idea.

1 Like

But then they should not be included in the exchange cuz this way would be p2w then because of the availability through money (even if also through game play).

But alts are purchase in the same manner and at the same cost :thinking: and already behave in the same way except with alts you get to enjoy the flexibility right away while skill sets you first need to reach level 50 then level all over again. Do you consider current design not p2w? And why is that?

Edit:
Maybe we should only allow alts to be made after a player reaches 50 also? To avoid this p2w mechanic?

1 Like

yeah, true, that’s only a narrow path to walk here, but when you allow skil lsets to be allready leveling next to your main skill set while gaming and you have to unlock them with some costy cubits it’s an advancement behind a paywall (even if you also can “work for it while leveling”. An alt is something you have to level seperatly and also he gains cubits by himself again, so the cubits are not wasted as they would be with an alternate skillset for your main char.

Blocking the ability to have alts would drive the people away cuz many love to have more chars, even if not lvled up (for example I had 5 Chars in Guildwars 1 before I had the first leveled to max ^^, same in WoW).

No easy topic, but we should stay away from cubit advancements as good as possible … and alt skill sets are good as they are because you still have something to work for and be happy with after lvl 50 :wink:

just wanted to point out that 3 skill sets is definitely not enough to do it all on 1 character (need atleast 5 skill sets minimum to cover just most of it)

2nd very few level 10 alts to full build potential in hours. (and balancing the game around what the 0.1% achieve is a bad idea anyways)

3rd locking alts behind a lvl 50 wall would definitely be a bad idea,not only do you make it harder on yourself by not being able to craft the gear needed to go to the higher tier worlds but not everyone is a hardcore 10 hr a day gamer,alot are casuals and take months to reach 50.

4th having skill sets work that way would allow someone to gain a monopoly on resources much faster with money then having to level many alts which takes alot longer.

1 Like

I am not sure if you missundertand what I said and in hopes to clarify my idea. You wouldn’t level the main and secondary skills set simultaneously. Just like an alt, you have to be on that skill set, including crafting the XP would only go to that part of the skill set that click the craft button so really it would be exactly the same. Currently you can make more cubits with a new toon than your old one during the first levels allowing more of a pay to win scenario. This is my perspective on it though, so why not make both equally? We already have to wait for a cool down to switch between them. It already behaves very similar so why are there 50 levels that I have to go through before is useful is beyond me.

I understand that people like alts, that’s fine but I still see a bias towards single character gamers and people who are force to use alts because is more convenient. I have refused to do alts simply because I don’t want to worry about it again. I was force during EA I don’t see why i have to slow down my progress in comparison to my neighbor because they chose to have alts instead of a single toon. I played ESO and I filled up all character slots… I tried it I don’t enjoy having to deal with alts and I think the skill sets are a great idea they just need a slight twick.

In ESO we had champion points which seem as a very nice long time progression, I think skill sets are a bad long term progression system if that is what they are supposed to be. I see skills sets more of a utility system much like most people use alts as now.

2 Likes

ok certainly an interesting idea on the set that was active only gaining the xp.

just a note,no cooldown on set switching if inside your own beacon.

1 Like

Yeah I understand that the cool down is only outside your beacon. Which again brings both alts and skill sets back to the same playing field. Except for those pesky 50 levels I have to climb first. Just an idea, I will reach 50 and follow current skill set design but my neighbor is already gathering, crafting, and exploring more with them very seductive alts design :sweat_smile:.

ah, ok, so you mean a seperate xp and lvl count per skill set, not overall the char anymore (at least in matters of gaining skillpoints). That is something different and would be ok in my eyes. Like you said it even has some additional costs compared to the cubit gain of multiple characters, so the advancements would be balanced.

+1 on this, bro ^^

4 Likes

would also reduce the need to wait for that 10 sec cd to swap characters which gets annoying when i need to swap like 20-30+ times a day lol

FF14:arr had a system that let you do it all on one character that was very clever,the class was based on the weapon you equipped and you had to save that set to change you class (eg if i equipped a lance i was a dragoon,if i equipped fists my class was a monk and each had to be leveled separately.

if the devs could get it working the way you suggest without any exploits it could bring skill sets on equal par to alts if one didn’t want more then 1-2 characters.

Love the idea of leveling the skillset as though it’s a separate player. Just wanted to make a quick detour to comment on something mentioned above:

With objectives, so long as you own a lot of “stuff”, it’s quite easy to get to level 10 within about 30 minutes - 1 hour. More than sufficient to get all of the crafting, cooking, decoration, etc. skills on different alts. It’s not much more of a stretch through using higher level pre-made gear to go hunt down some lonely mobs to grind out a few more levels and objectives in order to get an epic (in forging for instance). Very possible in terms of play time to get a number of alts (perhaps not 10, that’s excessive overkill) with enough skills to provide access to every recipe in the game.

1 Like