Skill Trees: Megathread and Discussion

I kind of like this. I think it’ll be scary for some players and forum users going from typical systems that confine you to a certain role/class to something a bit more freeform but I’m excited for the opportunities here.

Edit: Not to mention, you’ve just made @KuroKuma extremely happy. He can do everything now, given enough time! Unless there are hardstops in place to prevent filling out all of the trees still?

4 Likes

But you will have the option to reset all trees at a cost, but the amount and any restrictions on frequency you can do this are to be decided. There might also be a way to unlearn a skill rather than a complete reset, but again the rules and restrictions are to be ironed out. :wink:

5 Likes

was gonna ask that question myself,good to hear there’s atleast an option,also like the idea of the new skill tree setup :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, totally missed your part of that hahaha. Thanks for linking it Luke!

1 Like

I was excited because I read @Clexarews post first but then I read the initial post and the answer from @luke-turbulenz and sadly the plan of limiting the players didn’t change.
I still think that this throws away a lot of potential and is unnecessarily restricting.

Anyway since the thing this first part of the post is focused on is the founder tree, I have to say it’s a really good idea to make it a tutorial.
But I have some questions. The player starts in those “temples” where he also gets a tutorial right? So does a player have to complete the founder tree before he can move on from this starting area?
And if so will it be something like: “Click now here to unlock your ability to place blocks”, meaning the player doesn’t really decide in which order he completes the founder tree?

Another thing is, I know some of us including some devs would have liked to have certain features, especially in the HUD, linked to ingame objects you have to craft. Things like the compass or the entity information.
What’s the reason you decided to put those into the skill tree?

3 Likes

The tree is unlocked after the temple sequence and you are in the live world. So you don’t have to complete the tree in a linear way.

The reason they aren’t physical assets is because you only need them once, which made them a single craft item which you only did once then never need to craft them again. They don’t break, wear or disappear and adding a reason for them to vanish felt a little forced. Plus it takes up an extra inventory slot and we would need a Ui screen for you to customise, slot items in and so forth.

5 Likes

Day 2 tree has been added. Say hello to the proficiency tree. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Since this topic is making me very excited and I’m sure alot of other people I’m just curious, since the founder tree seems to go hand in hand with the tutorial world. Which is hopefully going to be released before the end of the year. Does that mean… that this may also be an update very soon?

1 Like

I don’t want to get your hopes up and say yes, because there are a number of things which need to happen first.

1. Add the Attributes system to characters, tools, creatures and blocks so unlocks actually change something
  2. Add new abilities and traits which are not in the game and lock current actions behind the skill tree so you need to unlock them

Once those elements are in we will be in a stronger position to add the skill tree to the game.

7 Likes

“Brew” / “Bomb” ??

suhweeeet :sunglasses:

4 Likes

To be honest I really like the proficiency tree, especially with the skill cap we’ll have. Since the proficiency doesn’t unlock new things and just makes you better at already existing things it doesn’t really restrict the player if he can’t max out every part of this tree.

Now I hope that you can sacrifice enough of such “non-new-stuff-unlock”-skills to be able to put your points into every skill that unlocks things. That way the level cap wouldn’t be a restriction it would just make it much harder to have everything unlocked because you’d have to sacrifice a lot of efficiency.

3 Likes

Huzzah! :scream: :smiley: :wink: :champagne:

1 Like

I might should have said because of the skill cap^^ It doesn’t mean that I like it per se but it works good together so it seems like it won’t be as bad as I first anticipated^^

Good job anyway, I’m curious about the rest of the trees now^^

3 Likes

I feel like the end of each proficiency tree should have a special unlock that encourages people to max a tree rather than spread points evenly.

(I’m not saying that just to annoy @KuroKuma!)

12 Likes

@luke-turbulenz: Sorry to say that, but in my opinion the proficiency tree looks really boring. As @Havok40k said, there should be at least a “teaser” to max out a tree segment.

I also think there should be a few “cross-connections” and dependencies between skills. E.g. “If you unlocked Slingbow III and Bomb I you get a special attack”.

The current tree looks a lot like “grinding” to me.

EDIT: I also don’t like the linear increase. I think the skills become much more expensive down the road from I to V ? I think they should also give more advantage.

6 Likes

@Havok40k @Heurazio I totally agree with you and it would be great to see those things but only without a skill cap^^

2 Likes

Good points. But let’s get all the trees up and review as a whole. Still 3 more to go. :wink:

10 Likes

Those proficiency skills thingies are no trees, they are waterfalls … and I don’t like plain skill waterfalls ^^ … Like mentioned before, make actually trees with intersections, split-offs and connections between trees… this is boring stuff (and yes, I wait til more is coming and alter my opionion if necessary :wink: )

3 Likes

I disagree. In general I think waterfalls would be boring but for proficiency it doesn’t make sense to need to increase your proficiency in cutting wood in order to increase your proficiency in mining. Progression for proficiency should, logically, be linear.

Plus we’re not going to see the whole waterfall at once per Luke’s description below.

2 Likes

Interesting idea, but boring layout. I assume the final look will be more exciting like maybe Skyrim looking.

Consider that beyond just increasing proficiencies in something that a very skilled player in a field my receive other bonuses too such as:

Slingbow not only hits harder (I assume the proficiency), but also at level 3 reloads faster and level 5 shoots farther.

Brew skill at level 3 allows you to craft two potions at a time and level 5 three at a time with the same amount of ingredients.

Just some examples.

3 Likes