Skill Trees: Megathread and Discussion

Those proficiency skills thingies are no trees, they are waterfalls … and I don’t like plain skill waterfalls ^^ … Like mentioned before, make actually trees with intersections, split-offs and connections between trees… this is boring stuff (and yes, I wait til more is coming and alter my opionion if necessary :wink: )

3 Likes

I disagree. In general I think waterfalls would be boring but for proficiency it doesn’t make sense to need to increase your proficiency in cutting wood in order to increase your proficiency in mining. Progression for proficiency should, logically, be linear.

Plus we’re not going to see the whole waterfall at once per Luke’s description below.

2 Likes

Interesting idea, but boring layout. I assume the final look will be more exciting like maybe Skyrim looking.

Consider that beyond just increasing proficiencies in something that a very skilled player in a field my receive other bonuses too such as:

Slingbow not only hits harder (I assume the proficiency), but also at level 3 reloads faster and level 5 shoots farther.

Brew skill at level 3 allows you to craft two potions at a time and level 5 three at a time with the same amount of ingredients.

Just some examples.

3 Likes

This is more of a data mind dump than the visual layout. When it does come to the layout please bare in mind that we aren’t a developer with 100s of people working on this, so flashy 3D skills trees are a bit out of range at the moment.[quote=“Lycankind, post:23, topic:5448”]
Slingbow not only hits harder (I assume the proficiency), but also at level 3 reloads faster and level 5 shoots farther.

Brew skill at level 3 allows you to craft two potions at a time and level 5 three at a time with the same amount of ingredients.
[/quote]

Pretty much that in regards to the slingbow. Brews will actually be the Brews duration, range and strength. So if a brew gives you an extra 10 damage for 5 minutes, higher proficiency will mean it lasts longer, does more damage and has a wider range if it is an AoE potion.

3 Likes

The overuse of the world proficiency is just vague, that’s all. I was just thinking on this in terms of new word use such as with the tools, the axe, shovel, and hammer:

Level 1:
Increase block damage output by 10%

Level 2:
Increase block damage output by 20%
Decrease crafting time of these items by 5%

Level 3:
Increase block damage output by 30%
Decrease crafting time of these items by 10%
Increase speed with items by 5%

And so on…

The Slingbow and Lance:

Level 1:
Increase entity damage by 10%

Level 2:
Increase entity damage by 20%
Increase range by 5% (With lance this would be very minor, more like longer arm reach)

Level 3:
Increase entity damage by 30%
Increase range by 10%
Decrease crafting time by 5%

…and so on…

With brews, more like this: (with your input)

Level 1:
Increase brew duration by 10%

Level 2:
Increase brew duration by 20%
Increase strength by 10%

Level 3:
Increase brew duration by 30%
Increase strength by 20%
Increase range by 10%

Level 4:
Increase duration by 40%
Increase strength by 30%
Increase range by 20%
Chance to craft extra potion 10%

Basically the idea is not just better word use, but that as I become a better tool smith, weapon master, or alchemist, I also gain new abilities beyond just “proficiency”. And maybe reaching max level in something will give a big reward.

7 Likes

I like everything you’ve said except for the bit about the linear increase. If the low end is 0 and the high end is 50%, it doesn’t matter if the increase is linear or exponential for total gains, but let me give you a negative to changing it to an exponential gain: if you want to split your points to be a good miner and builder/crafter (insert any two interdependent skills) then you don’t have to enter as many points for good gains.

e.g., I have 6 points and I want two skills, which I’m arbitrarily naming mining and crafting. If I want to be proficient, but sacrifice the highest proficiency on a linear scale, I can have a 30% increase in each skill. If it’s an exponential scale, I could only get about 22% increase in both. The max in either situation is still 50%, but splitting points in a linear scale is much more rewarding than in an exponential one.

If there’s a bonus for maxing out a skill tree, like a unique skill, that would be awesome. But I like having the choice between pretty good gains in two skilltrees or a bonus skill in one.

P.S. no guarantees on my math, but it will be lower sharing points in an exponential gains tree vs. a linear one.

2 Likes

That would seem like a posetive from my viewpoint it would encourage specialization

as it stands now with linear increase you actually gain more from spreading out instead of focusing.

say you have skill A and skill B both have a value of 100 if you have one point you can now decide to incease A with 1 point raising it from 100 to 110 a 10% increase if you gain an aditional skillpoint putting it into B will do the same but putting it into A will rise it from 110 to 120 which is a meager 9.09% increase

Meaning that for overall percentage increase with the standing numbers it would make better sense to just spread out instead of focusing.

1 Like

For me this positive/negative point is just a reason to not have a cap on the skills.

The thing is, you only gain more by spreading out (in the long term at least) because you have a cap.
If there wouldn’t be a cap you didn’t have to worry about how to get the most overall percentage increase.
You could focus on the skill you want to max out first because you know that you won’t have a “disadvantage” in terms of overall percentage increase. The maximum is the same for everyone.

But at the same time you’d get specialized people because it takes so much longer to max out additional trees.

And people who want to spread out anyway will do it regardless of how the increase in proficiency is structured.

1 Like

Day 3 tree has been added. Say hello to the abilities tree. :slight_smile:

What I like about the abilities tree is that it doesn’t tell you which “class” the different skills are there for.
There’s no weapon smith skill tree which you know you have to max out to be the best weapon smith.

It just tells you: “Well here are the abilities you can learn. Choose the ones you think you’ll need for your specialization.”

Pretty good concept, I have to say.

The only thing I’m not sure about is the jump height increase. Assuming you can jump a bit more than one block at first. What exactly is the benefit of jumping 10% higher than that? Most likely it’s still less than one and half a block and definitely less than 2 blocks.
In the worst case it just handicaps you because you can’t jump through 2 high spaces as good as you could initialy.

1 Like

Before I forget, the 4th and 5th skill tree will be on Monday and Tuesday. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Increased jump height should increase the length of the jump too as you have farther to fall. Generally if we are talking a 10% increase the effect will be most visible when jumping gaps, of different kinds.

They could also adjust the jump height so a 10% increase would allow you to jump 1.5 or 1.6 blocks those allowing you to jump over slabs and the like.

Really even if there wasn’t a cap with the setup right now it makes more sense to pick 2 maybe 3 different skills for a start instead of taking 3 of the same.

1 Like

Yes, I didn’t think of the case of jumping over gaps, that’s true, now it makes a bit more sense^^

Honestly, I’m not sure if you make a counter argument or if you agree with me there xD (the part after my quote^^)

I think instead of just jump height it would make more sense to have it reduce fall damage, which is a much more interesting and widely applicable skill than jumping an arbitrarily higher amount above 1 block but less than 2 blocks.

4 Likes

This is something which could be added to the list and was at one stage. However, some creatures will actually try to cause falling damage to you by smashing the ground beneath you or lifting you off the ground and dropping you.

At the moment if you increase you defense, falling damage received will be decreased. Having this as an upgrade meant you don’t need to increase your defense against them and it didn’t feel right.

3 Likes

why creeping is a skill … and why do I learn it after learning jumping? … I would set doublejump and climbing as extras next to lvl 2 and 3 of jumping … leaving creeping as a single one is not the beast, but it doesn’t fit to jumping, especially as I have the feeling it should be a basic ability of ALL characters, may be in the founders tree then.

Why binding reviving as an extra after charged hitting? … dns why the hell 5 levels for it? … Would give it less levels - may be 20%, 50%, and 100%. This could be an extra to a later coming stuff like “heal bonuses” or something simillar (or anything else fitting coming on day 4/5). Is there a potion/food-efficiency skill? - If yes: put it there (seems more fitting) … And also: have you concidered to have a group revival? … would make a good 4th step then (reviving all in an area arround you with 50%)

The block/tech-tree seems pretty well made :slight_smile:

7 Likes

one thing id like to know is at mo you have to hold the creep button to prevent falling off the edge,i’m generally very busy planning my building so i forget and end up falling to my death (i make my house very high up) will the creep button ever be togglable?

so far liking the abilities tree (not entirely sure on revive as its only on a 10s CD at mo) but other then that looking all good!

1 Like

I hope that some recipes in the list will require more than one ability to craft. For instance some weapons may need machines to be built first. So either someone has to build one for you or you have to get the ability to make the machine yourself. I think this will add another level of complexity to the crafting system which will only be used for higher level stuff. Or perhaps machines just have buffs to make your RNG a bit better for said items at the very least.

This ability is actually to revive other players and to avoid the death penalty. As someone mentioned we should consider AoE revives as well in case there is a group wipe. Not necessarily one you can use on yourself but that could be another upgrade for the skill.

I think you’ll like the attributes tree. :wink:

3 Likes

This is something we’ve discussed adding. Whilst I personally like holding creep, others championed and prefer toggling creep so that it operates more like run. Hopefully it’s something we can add.

8 Likes