Skill trees to (possibly) resolve the levelling 'issue'

It seems to me that a lot of the complaints currently are to do with not being rewarded for paying the way that people want to play the game.

I’m sure something similar had been suggested before, I know a similar thing had been suggested for guild buffs.

There should be a central core of skills - health, protection, maybe a couple of others - with style specific branches extending - builder, hunter, crafter, etc - with branch specific skills in each.

The skill branch should be activated, and activities related to the skill branch earn xp for that particular branch, and each branch is leveled separately.

Skills open as the branch is leveled, and skill branch points can be awarded to increase skills within the specific branch.

Not sure if I’m explaining this very well, but hopefully you get the idea?

I think looking to Runescape OS (original version) and how they handle “leveling” could be extremely helpful to boundless. I know this may add a lot of complications as to how you gain an “overall” level to be awarded with cubits, however, you could make the levels per “tree” be faster to acquire with less cubits given for each accomplishment. This would allow for everyone to be able to play at their own pace and style while giving them frequent rewards. Get to a high building level, needs lots of xp for that next level but wants cubits faster, maybe they go try to increase their weapon level, or go out gathering to increase a different skill tree level and obtain those cubits faster. It is a much more complex system and would require a complete overhaul of the current system but I think it would solve a lot of the “i dont feel rewarded for what I like to do in game” kinda feel. This would also allow them to easily add new content, fishing/farming come out? Thats a whole new skill tree that you need to level up to be proficient.

I can make a post and go into more detail about why I feel this method could be extremely helpful to the boundless community if anyone is interested.

1 Like

Maybe I’m just dreaming but wasn’t this how skill progression was at some point in EA?

no, we all were max level before the skill tree was introduced, and it worked very much like the one we have currently but was laid out a lot differently.

I really liked @Jyanin’s solution he suggested in the patch notes thread.

but I am also for a skill tree that progresses as you perform each of those activities as well!

3 Likes

I would love that… but then I start my MMO life with UO and nothing has felt more ‘right’ since then.

1 Like

This is what I was trying to say!

I was just too clumsy in my description.

1 Like

Yes, when levels was first introduced you had separate levels for different activity.

1 Like

oh! haha k I wasn’t here for that. :stuck_out_tongue: I guess I started just after it was changed.