[SOLVED] Testing 224, DualShock 4 controllers not working

As in the title.
Am on an nVidia Shield with Geforce NOW but it used to work on previous Testing releases and still works perfectly fine on Live on the thing.

Spend 3 hours last evening trying everything I could think off but the game does not seem to recognise my DS4 controllers, none of them. They work in the UI of the Shield, they work in Steam, game starts and the game doesn’t use them. I can still use the controller to exit the game, etc. but not use it to play.

I’m on the couch, no room for a mouse and keyboard, if I want to play this I need the controller to be working.

And yes, when I switch back to Live, the controller works normally…

I’ve noticed that the original Shield controller does seem to work but since it’s very, very un-precise (if you try to aim at a storage block/machine/anything or try to build and put a block down in a certain spot you overshoot way too easily and is annoying as heck and highly unplayable, thankfully the DS4 controllers do not have that issue but are now unusable)…

Could anyone else please try a controller to see if they work? DS4, Xbox controller, etc.

That would help. If this gets to Live like this I won’t ever be able to use my Steam account again…

I don’t think my DS4 controller has ever worked with steam properly, so I use DS4Windows to emulate an xbox controller and disable steam’s controller stuff. That still works on testing.

And what happens when you use a USB cable to connect it? Or is that already how you are using it??

BTW, the Shield sees the DS4 controllers as Xbox ones as well some how…

USB or Bluetooth, doesn’t matter. In steam settings I have to enable Playstation 4 controller support, or use DS4Windows, otherwise boundless doesn’t recognise the controller. But I have no idea what the shield is doing to the controller, so it’s probably different.

Nothing has been changed with input and controllers - so this would suggest the issues is outside of the game.

But it’s very strange that Live is ok and Testing isn’t.

Is there any config setup that points directly at Live?

As James mentions we’ve not changed anything in the way we handle the DS4 input, I’ve just tested on my desktop and it works fine on both live and testing for me. So I’m not sure why it wouldn’t work unless it’s something that the shield is doing different.

Hmmpf, got it working now! My bad I suppose, somehow I had unchecked a controller config. Still don’t understand why it would then still work on Live. Ah well, was tired last night so might have overlooked something!

No problem, glad to hear it’s working

What did you have unchecked. My gf is having this issues and I’m not there mine works great.

She’s also using an Nvidia Shield? I’ve noticed the Steam UI is a tad different than from the desktop version.

In any case, in Controller Settings of Steam itself I had ‘PlayStation controller support’ not checked. After changing that it was again recognised as normal.

I can make screenshots with correct names and such if needed. The UI on the Shield is just the TV UI that it also uses on other devices (incl. their own Steam boxes I believe)…

1 Like

I’m here now and I’ll see if I can figure it out. The only difference I know of is I have a dell laptop and she has a Apple. She sent me videos of things checked and it seems correct. Even unregistered and registered the controller against along with restarting and such. Trying 4 others controllers and usb cables.

James I may need some expertise. My gf is trying to play on a Mac. We are trying to use a ps4 controller. From what I read all is supported. Mac and steam. It’s connected in Mac and in steam BUT nothing happens in game using the controller. I bought the game for my dell laptop and did the same exact thing and mine works flawlessly. The controls are almost identical by default like the ps4 in game. I don’t know what to do. I’m not sure she will play the old fashion way with mouse and keyboard. I’ve read other solutions but nothing seems to work.

In Steam settings, there is a controller settings menu, you do need to make sure PlayStation Controller support is selected…

It is. That is the main thing it say to do. It’s all I had to do for mine. But her just simply will not work. I even connected it Bluetooth. That just messed up the computer. I had to reset it and remove the controllers.

And controller is connected with USB?

Try making the window full screen? Saw somewhere that it helps in certain cases, why dunno…

I’ve used my DS4 on my Mac with RemotePlay successfully when the GPU still worked, wish it still did, then I would be playing on there instead.

I can ask my best friend who plays all the time on her Mac with a DS4 without issues…

Tho i do remember her saying that some games support it under Windows but not MacOS…

That is of course also some thing you could try, install Windows next to macOS, or use a free virtual machine like VirtualBox and then install Windows in there, see if that works…

Lol I’m sorry you’re talking in another language. Yes it’s plugged in with a usb cord. What exactly is ds4? I’ve tried looking up that download but it is only for windows. There are others like ds4 like “ controllerware”. But I wouldn’t even know where to begin without a turtorial step by step.

So there is a program called virtual box? Are you saying this program allows you to download windows to a Mac and then maybe we can bypass the os to run the game?

Oh and in the pic I don’t have the controller connected. It does connect to steam no problem. It just has no reaction to boundless.

DS4 = DualShock4

And ehh, yeah, VirtualBox allows you to emulate a PC so you can install any OS, including Windows, into that emulated PC.

But if you’ve never done such a thing you might be better off using BootCamp or Parallels: