Some ideas about a future change in the system of prestige-footfall-settlements

Planets should have new features that unlock after X amount of prestige, maybe even a planetary ruling body based on the votes of all residents to decide which perks get unlocked first. Perks like:

reduced shop stand tax,
reduced request basket tax,
reduced crafting time,
10% increase to footfall,
increased meteor spawn rate (if applicable),
increased plant resource spawn rate,
increased drop rate chance for seams (occasionally get an extra couple diamonds),
increased crop growth speed,
increased organic crop seed yields,
increased organic crop harvest yields,
similar perks for inorganic crops,
reduced atmospheric intensity (less protection required),
mobs become non-aggressive in settlements (unless already attacking)

I don’t know how many of these are actually doable and doubt we’ll see anything like this. The planetary citizens could vote once a month on what the next unlock will be when reached.

2 Likes

You still do not understand it. This thread is NOT a discussion, so I asked you please, do not enter that game of competing dialectically against any idea you do not like.

I have asked that we limit each one to give our ideas, without entering to value the ideas of others so as not to return to the same vicious circle as always.

Why should everything be turned into a competition and transform this thread (brainstorming) into seeing who is right or make insinuations about the opinions of others? I don’t want a debate for this thread that will end up like the others, closed.

It is not our job to assess what the different members of the community think. I would like to keep this thread clean so that nobody is afraid to tell us their ideas in freedom without another person coming to tell you if your opinion or idea is good or bad or crazy.

As I said before at the beginning of the thread, let’s try to leave the thread as clean as possible for that purpose. The more different ideas, the better. It is not the objective of the thread to solve the problems of the mechanics, nor assess whether there are problems in the mechanics. Just contribute ideas, thanks.

Removing prestige is removing players motivation to play, just because some players abuse the prestige system for own good doesn’t mean we should be punished for it. I think most of us legit players can agree that prestige ranking is a nice way of get yourself motivated to increase your settlement prestige to show your contribution to the settlement and game itself. Removing it will just give u less players to play with.

2 Likes

I would expect that at one point, you’d have people who would want to take over your land to “use it better” in order to reach their goal for the “capital planet”.

3 Likes

I ask: How can you get hold of another person’s beacon if it is impossible in this game with the beacon system? While you feed your beacon, it will always be your beacon, or are you proposing as an idea as possible the conquest of another person’s beacon with some kind of PVP? If you are proposing that, how would you do it?

I am NOT proposing that, but I do think that some players are crafty and have ways to make you want to move to another world through bullying / griefing.
They would then be able to take the land you used to own to “use it better” (ie : to gain the World-capital title).

My counter-suggestion would be this one.

1 Like

Ah, okay, then you are valuing the ideas of others, just what I have asked that NOT be done so that this thread does not become a debate or discussion and start over with the PVP of the forum.

I would like you to give your own ideas, the objective of the thread is not to generate debate, but to propose ideas, many, the more the better.

Perhaps some idea of the thread is useful for developers. The debate is not the objective of this thread, please keep the thread clean for your purpose: write all the ideas that come to mind about how the new system could be. It doesn’t matter if they are good ideas, bad ideas, ideas that sound crazy …

Edit: I think it’s great to start another thread to generate the debate! I wish you luck in that! Now I will read your proposal.

I wasn’t debating who was right and wrong. I was providing an opinion and giving ideas on how I would approach the topic you brought up. These are ideas from my first post:

To further clarify and adjust these ideas into ones I feel are better to implement in the game:

1. Settlements - are used only for a personal beacon. Guild beacons get new name. Towns, Cities, Great Cities, etc are called according to their levels. Guild books define the Guild “town” etc. Cities are defined by a book that people join and participate in. As the number of people “accounts” not “characters” grown it changes the type of city it is. Prestige has nothing to do with City, etc.

Mayors are elected based on votes by each member and the “benefit” they give the participants in the city. I am not sure how to track that benefit and how this will work. I need more work on how this can be accomplished. But it would basically be like we have now in government… People become the Mayor because they DO stuff for the citizens.

Viceroy is removed. There is no planetary overlord. Only mayors of the cities/towns.

Capital becomes a vote system by all the members of the planet based on who thinks the best place for the capital to be. This could be augmented with votes by mayors but I am not sure since I prefer everyone. This becomes like in real life that the capital becomes the place people PICK to be the capital. The capital is not defined by anything else unless it turns into something around “utility” or “what the capital provides the members of the planet”. If we can find ways to track and monitor that then we can switch the model.

1. Footfall - If not removed entirely then it becomes a flat system based on utility of a build tracked by the number of patrons/visitors. Rewards are daily per “account” and not “character”. Rewards are minimal but builds that provide utility get some coin to help pay for the value they bring. Yes this rewards malls, portal hubs, etc over a persons general build out in the middle of no where. That is why the rewards is daily and very minimal. Prestige has nothing to do with footfall.

Coin is removed in all aspects of the game except for commerce. That means personal warps use Oort and feats (non-commerce feats) give other types of rewards like items or XP, etc.

1. Prestige turns into a total ranking system with no linking to anything but the leaderboard and a naming/title design. The rank of all beacons are put in the list and people can compete on how “prestigious” their build is. Those at the top get special title for their beacon and their character. There are no other benefits or rewards besides the special title you get.

^this… i literally do not care who the capitol of a planet is and most of the time the capitols are just empty towers of repetitious blocks.

1 Like

I would like to keep the viceroy titles and maybe add a few more tiers for the top 5 settlements or so. Spread the wealth… But instead of prestige how about requiring “Likes” or a currency to spend on other beacons. The more likes a group of beacons get as a whole the closer to viceroy compared to the other settlements. The status could be related to tiers of buffs that are minimally different. but still different. 5% /10% / 15% increase to run speed…things like that. Maybe the ability to control tax breaks.

Joining the settlement would be a prompt every time a beacon plotted the first plot adjoining your plots per beacon. This could also be done with a prompt in the beacon itself to join a neighboring beacon.

I can see somebody who prefers their sovereignty getting surrounded by a settlement and being pressured to join, but I think that may be the case in any scenario with rewards.

These “likes” can be craftable to relate to something measurable and can be seasonal. These craftable currencies to promote competition should not be allowed to be given to your own settlement. That way you cannot buy your power.

I think these would put more choices into the players hands and give them actionable ways to play their own way.

However… I like Prestige, and I like Footfall. I don’t feel they detract from the game at all.They encourage building and provide reward for work. Everybody has a different idea of how to play in the sandbox.

1 Like

I like the grouping idea somewhat to help better define “likes” or “favorites” or stuff like that. Seems a bit better than just 1 maybe…

2 Likes

me too.

on another note, while I do think this system needs more love, it will be low on my list of desires.

Another idea would be to make districts within cities. I always wanted to do this anyway, but have people gain the benefits of a larger settlement, but retain their name and such. Guilds kinda do this, but everyone seems to get in an uproar over it (especially if it was predatory). Settlement books, or beacon level options (like opt out kinda) could make this easier to facilitate.

I like how much coin we get for footfall in the current system, most of my higher traffic areas see less coin than they used to, but all my more remote areas see more. It ended up being about net neutral for me, but I do feel it helps the little guys more than it makes the big ones more “rich”.

2 Likes

No. Just no. Will mean only the wealthiest of wealthy players would amass a ton of these to sway the system.

2 Likes

It’s somewhat related, so I’ll pitch this idea here;

The current system that establishes what is or isn’t a settlement rests solely on Prestige. This essentially means that a sole player can and inevitably will become their own one person settlement.

I’d have the size and classification of settlements be decided by the total number of unique player beacons that are connected. This would tell all players that the capital of said world is made up of many players, not just one incredibly active player.

6 Likes

I’d love to have districts, too. Commerce, Habitation, Recreation, Transportation, etc.

However, I’m not sure it’d be good to give any benefits to a District, aside from possibly minor ones, or limiting a District to one per Account or something to that effect.
Otherwise, you could end up with one player owning an entire city by themselves.

1 Like